Ruger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would speak a few words on the subject of Gunsmithing. Many people having no experience in this field, may look at posts by two different smiths' and begin to wonder, who is right and who is wrong on this? In most cases, there is no "wrong" one in a discussion. The reason being, is that there are so many "variables" involved in this field. One person may have more experience on a certain class of weapons, while another may have specialized in a broader field of weapons. There are sometime, many different "ways" to approach a problem but usually all ending in the same successful and professional "conclusion" and repair. Just take a "drive" through any of the Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books and you might find 6 different methods of accomplishing the same "task" successfully. So which one should "you" use. I say try them all and settle on the one method that works out best for you. Let's look at terminology. I prefer to call a cylinder stop just that because that's what it does. Stops the cylinder. While Ruger calls it the cylinder latch and Colt, the bolt. In my way of thinking, a latch or bolt is more adaptable to a door than a gun so I use the term "cylinder stop" when talking about all handguns regardless of make. This is just and example to show that often times we arrive at the same meaning utilizing different terms or opinions. Iowegan and I had a previous discussion about measuring headspace. I approach it a little differently than he, but in the end, arrive at the same conclusions he does. We all have our preferences in the tools and equipment we utilize best. I happen to be big on special tools and jigs I have made to perform certain tasks, while the next guy may want to use only professionally made "name brand" equipment. I have altered and converted many different gun parts over the years to perform the same task they were engineered to do but in a "different" configuration or manner. I was disassembling a customer's handgun one day and discovered a "spring conversion" that was absolutely "ingeniously" done by some other smith' at some point. Now I had done several of these conversions on this model but in a different manner. I realized that this smith's conversion worked just as well as mine but was done much easier. Needless to say I adopted this "new way" of doing those conversions. As long as I have been crankin' on guns, there is always something "new" that pops up I hav'nt seen before. That is the biggest reason we never stop learning in this field. Our "experiences" can differ to the point that it may seem we are talking about two different subjects at times. Again, the nature of this business. I hope that this might help to alleviate some of the confusion you might have when various repairs or subjects are discussed on this gunsmithing forum. Enjoy shooting all................Dick

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,433 Posts
bowhunter, Good post. I might also add; it is very difficult to troubleshoot a gun via the forum. Often we get very little information or misleading information that has nothing to do with the issue. As for parts names, it's best to use the same name as the manufacturer uses instead of "generic part names". After all, we are on a Ruger forum so when we discuss parts for Ruger guns, the least confusing for all readers is to use the part names listed in their respective manuals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:Originally posted by Iowegan

bowhunter, Good post. I might also add; it is very difficult to troubleshoot a gun via the forum. Often we get very little information or misleading information that has nothing to do with the issue. As for parts names, it's best to use the same name as the manufacturer uses instead of "generic part names". After all, we are on a Ruger forum so when we discuss parts for Ruger guns, the least confusing for all readers is to use the part names listed in their respective manuals.
Thanks for your input Iowegan. Points very well taken. Two "heads" are always better than one. Now go and try to tell that to your "wife"![}:)]................Dick

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, that is VERY true ........ never could "see" any good 'problem' when it's far away and someone is trying to "interpret" just what they think the problem may be. Yes, the vernacular can be 'troublesome' but I have found over all these years, it matters NOT what anyone calls the "thing", as long as you are referring to the 'SAME' thing, it gets done.
Like 'Iowegan' I too was trained at a couple of the different factories, and got to see and do first hand and hear from the 'old timers' back when things were "fitted", not like today where it's "R& R", (remove and replace) which by the way was how I was 'learned' by some of the military armorers at Perry back in the 70's. They threw out perfectly GOOD parts, that would not "exactly" fit. I threatened to come back after dark to "raid" their trash receptacles, hell, they beat me to it!!!:D

The great thing is that we all can bring a different dish to the table and these Forums can make for a very interesting and informative passing and as I alwasy say if ONE person out there , learns anything from what I can say or add, then I have "done my job"..................( plus we can save them a ton of money!)

They are getting for 'free' what we had paid in 'dues & learning' over a long period of time.[^]

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
With the Knowledgable Members we have, the willingness to share that knowledge, and the Friendliness of our members, this makes our Board top quality, and amoung the best gun boards on the net. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts