Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
17,832 Posts
If you watch the intro to the show the other guy gets off the first shot but Mathew hits what he's shooting at. I would have to say that Bob Munden is the fastest I've ever seen.

· Registered
451 Posts
One episode there was a gunfighter that was faster than Dillion. He shot him in the arm as they stood face to face. Chester patched him up and Matt had Chester retrieve his second gun. When heading back to stand up to him again some guy shot the gunman in the back. Good thing for Matt as with his bad arm he would have never had a chance.

· Registered
5,501 Posts
If you watch the intro to the show the other guy gets off the first shot but Mathew hits what he's shooting at.
As a boy I would sit by the fireplace with my grandfather on Saturday night and watch Gunsmoke.
He often pointed out that Matt fired the second shot and accuracy counted more than speed.
Sometimes I would clean and oil my grandpa's rifles while watching that TV show.
This is one of my most cherished memories of childhood... and those guns are now in my safe.

· Registered
6,926 Posts
Here's an interesting bit of history about the opening shoot-out.

Gunsmoke

There were actually four different ones through the years, then the opening was simply Matt on a horse.

The first shoot-out guy was Arvo Ojala, a fast draw expert and Hollywood gun handling coach. Also the designer of some very nice holster rigs that are still marketed. If you Google his name, it turns up a lot about him and the holsters.

· Registered
815 Posts
Back in the days before cable, my dad would make us watch Gunsmoke every time it was on regardless of reruns. I got so sick of that show, I still refuse to watch it to this day. I know it's a classic but you all know the bit about to much of a good thing.

Ironically, that is the only show my mother in law will watch.

· Registered
17,832 Posts
Here's an interesting bit of history about the opening shoot-out.

Gunsmoke

There were actually four different ones through the years, then the opening was simply Matt on a horse.

The first shoot-out guy was Arvo Ojala, a fast draw expert and Hollywood gun handling coach. Also the designer of some very nice holster rigs that are still marketed. If you Google his name, it turns up a lot about him and the holsters.
The holster I have for my Vaquero was made by a local man that goes by "Iron Slinger". He was a Hollywood Gunslinger that learned from Arvo Ojala.

· Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
No one is faster than Lucus McCain on The Rifleman. Chuck Connors played pro baseball for the then Brooklyn Dodgers and basketball for the Boston Celtics. He was an athlete first and an actor second. And he practiced for hours to get it right.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No one is faster than Lucus McCain on The Rifleman. Chuck Connors played pro baseball for the then Brooklyn Dodgers and basketball for the Boston Celtics. He was an athlete first and an actor second. And he practiced for hours to get it right.
I liked that one too. I remember one episode Lucus said his rifle was a 44/40.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.