Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
as long as it hasnt developed any momentum it wont bother a bit
think how hard some rounds have try and eject a case!
we are not talking alot of force here
if thumbing it will cause a issue
keeping it from moving at all wont be trouble

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I saw that a while back.

Consider that recoil springs are something like 12 to maybe 20 pounds it would seem that the amount of energy necessary to prevent the slide from moving would not be tremendous.
Or consider equal and opposite reactions, the energy of the projectile is velocity times mass and so if that same energy is kickin the slide back divided by the much greater mass of the slide the velocity of the slide is far lower.
Also consider bolt action of pump action, sure you get more felt recoil, but if it took a significant amount of effort to prevent the breech face/bolt assembly from moving back then they would have to be much beefier to prevent damage.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you guys are right about the recoil spring, but keep in mind that people cut themselves on slides all the time. i say cut because they bleed.

that being said...this guy clearly shows that doesnt matter if you do it right.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
you guys are right about the recoil spring, but keep in mind that people cut themselves on slides all the time. i say cut because they bleed.

If the slide is moving. I fired a .45 off hand and crossed my right thumb improperly and sliced a small patch of skin off the knuckle and I have seen photos of a thumb split wide open that was on the back of a slide when fired.
So yes there is risk involved and this is not something you'd ever want to do but i believe the point of the demonstration is that in a situation where you are faced with a shooter and you are able at the very least to grab the slide me hold on tight it would prevent the semi auto action from functioning and only allow a single shot to be fired and regardless of single action vs double action etc without the next live round being fed the gun will not fire again until the slide is manually operated.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Even if you managed to grab a gun by the front sight and the sight sliced your hand I doubt you would feel it if you are defending yourself. I doubt most people would remember how they got injured. They would be happy they are going to get their hand stitched up instead going to be treated for gunshot wounds.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
The injury aspect is the least important lesson. If you're disarming someone at arm's length and can deflect the muzzle for his first shot and grab the slide, you've won.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Very informative video.
After the video ends, there is a part two which is even better and shows why you need to be careful trying the same stunt with a revolver.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
If the slide is moving. I fired a .45 off hand and crossed my right thumb improperly and sliced a small patch of skin off the knuckle and I have seen photos of a thumb split wide open that was on the back of a slide when fired.
So yes there is risk involved and this is not something you'd ever want to do but i believe the point of the demonstration is that in a situation where you are faced with a shooter and you are able at the very least to grab the slide me hold on tight it would prevent the semi auto action from functioning and only allow a single shot to be fired and regardless of single action vs double action etc without the next live round being fed the gun will not fire again until the slide is manually operated.
That is known as "Slide Bite".

With proper training. When you grab the slide and twist it away from the shooters trigger finger, you can disarm the shooter. Twisting the slide into the shooters trigger finger, you can break the trigger finger.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is known as "Slide Bite".

With proper training. When you grab the slide and twist it away from the shooters trigger finger, you can disarm the shooter. Twisting the slide into the shooters trigger finger, you can break the trigger finger.
would the latter discharge the weapon as well?

·
Registered
22 Posts
We teach a couple of methods of doing this. More as a way of making sure the pistol is in battery if you have to make a contact shot on a target.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
We teach a couple of methods of doing this. More as a way of making sure the pistol is in battery if you have to make a contact shot on a target.
That's interesting. So you are saying in a case for example if someone is on top of you and umthe muzzle is pressed against your attacker you woul should the slide forward to ensure that it wasn't pressed back slightly out of battery and prevent it from firing. Even at point blank/contact shot you might still need a follow up shot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Essentially, yes, movement and tap-rack are part of the drill. Got to let people know what could happen and how to handle it.

That's interesting. So you are saying in a case for example if someone is on top of you and umthe muzzle is pressed against your attacker you woul should the slide forward to ensure that it wasn't pressed back slightly out of battery and prevent it from firing. Even at point blank/contact shot you might still need a follow up shot.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The defense I learned when wrestling with an attacker armed with a pistol is to grab the whole gun and force the slide out of battery any way you can to prevent the gun from firing........if you get lucky you can drop the mag during the struggle and get the slide back enough to get the round out rendering the gun useless..needless to say the whole time you will be fighting and struggling violently and hopefully kicking, punching, and trying to twist the gun away from them..........and also hopefully be drawing your own gun or knife and "stopping" the attack.

The defense against a revolver is to grab the cylinder so it can't cycle, but if the gun is cocked, there's not much you can do except obviously keep the muzzle away from you and fight for your life.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
After seeing what a 357 revolver blast from the cylinder/barrel gap does with a paper magazine, not so sure I'd wanna try it. Hickok 45 did a pretty neat vid on that.

In a life or death situation, that would be the least of your worries though.

My wife kept holding her CZ Rami wrong and wrapping her non firing hand thumb over top her firing hand. I kept telling her and telling her, and she would still do it. So I showed her some vids of slide bite. :eek: CURED.
She pays attention now.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thought I was going to get some visually dark humor. No, you had to go and teach me something :)

·
Registered
644 Posts

From the slide moving, yes. You can fire a Glock with your thumb behind the slide and induce a malfunction from the slide not cycling. No injury. For some reason, I remember them making us do that in the academy. But don't remember why now :confused:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
After seeing what a 357 revolver blast from the cylinder/barrel gap does with a paper magazine, not so sure I'd wanna try it. Hickok 45 did a pretty neat vid on that.

In a life or death situation, that would be the least of your worries though.

My wife kept holding her CZ Rami wrong and wrapping her non firing hand thumb over top her firing hand. I kept telling her and telling her, and she would still do it. So I showed her some vids of slide bite. :eek: CURED.
She pays attention now.:)
Vids are soon forgotten. Sometimes you just have to allow people [even loved ones] to find out the hard way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts