Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used some powder from an old 1 lb bottle of H110 recently. Old meaning maybe 2010. Price tag of $24.

When filling the cases I noticed that some cases looked more full than others. When I weighted them they were exactly the same. I noticed that some of the powder looked very fine while while the rest looked like the normal small flakes.

I proceeded with a known used load from my notes and also compared it to a few reloading book loads.

When I started shooting these loads in a rifle it was evident they were too hot. Both fired cases stuck in the chamber and one primer even fell out. I pulled the rest.

I’m hesitant to use any more of this which is too bad as there is at least 1/2 lb left.

I burned some and it looked to burn normal for a slow pistol powder.

My question is why would the powder not be all the same looking? Why is some of the powder very fine while the rest looks normal?
Is this ready to be lawn fertilizer?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, .357 magnum.
I haven't used this bottle in several years.
I'm not perfect but I've been reloading for well over 40 years and never have more than one powder on the bench at any time.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just looked and it seems my H110 is gone but I did find some 296 which I believe is the same thing.
Anyway the 296 is straight up ALL ball powder, no flakes.
Me thinks yours got "infected".
I did it once by neglecting to empty the powder measure when changing powders. Caught it quick when setting weight but had to dump me some powder.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,276 Posts
Interesting.
I'm using H110 I bought in 2008 that has also been stored in the original container and climate controlled (mostly).
I've been loading a lot of .30 Carbine since Oct with it and I have not seen any issues.
No problems with the firing or accuracy of the ammo I'm loading.

I see no flakes in mine.

Reactions: FlaGun

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just looked and it seems my H110 is gone but I did find some 296 which I believe is the same thing.
Anyway the 296 is straight up ALL ball powder, no flakes.
Me thinks yours got "infected".
I did it once by neglecting to empty the powder measure when changing powders. Caught it quick when setting weight but had to dump me some powder.
Thanks for looking.
The above picture is magnified. The flakes I called them actually look like normal H110 powder to the naked eye. The smaller particles are much lesser in quantity and look more like fine dust to the naked eye.

Here is a 1X picture.
Grey Asphalt Tints and shades Road surface Pattern

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, from the last pic looks like it is indeed breaking down.
Have to check mine out. Still using some from around '92.
I bought a lot of it as all I was shooting then was my first, one and only gun, a 357 mag.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
@FlaGun, two questions for ya……..What does the powder smell like, (get your nose in there and take a good whiff) does it kind of “burn” your nose like an acidy smell or is it like a vinegar type smell? What color is the INSIDE of the cap, (if it’s plastic) is it the same as the outside still? If it were a metal can and lid bad powder has a tendency to make it difficult to open, similar to a cap that has rusted onto the container. Those are three signs the powder has seriously deteriorated.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@FlaGun, two questions for ya……..What does the powder smell like, (get your nose in there and take a good whiff) does it kind of “burn” your nose like an acidy smell or is it like a vinegar type smell? What color is the INSIDE of the cap, (if it’s plastic) is it the same as the outside still? If it were a metal can and lid bad powder has a tendency to make it difficult to open, similar to a cap that has rusted onto the container. Those are three signs the powder has seriously deteriorated.
Smell is strong but not acidic.
Product Drinkware Dishware Cup Wood

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I'll try a lesser load of maybe 5 rounds before throwing the H110 out.
Or maybe not, I'm not at all hurting for .357 magnum powders so it won't be missed.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,276 Posts
Here is a picture of my H110, I think it looks more uniform than yours.
Vertebrate Liquid Water Sky Animal migration

Reactions: GeoJammy and FlaGun

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Smell is strong but not acidic.
Ok, what does it smell like? “Good” powder has little to no smell or it kinda has an alcohol type smell, it’s hard to describe.

I’ve shot some 25 year old powder in my .44 Mag, (IMR4227) it seemed like it kicked more, (that could have been my imagination) but it definitely blew more smoke out of the barrel than normal.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts