Ruger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Roll crimping is not always possible. For instance, when using plated bullets a roll crimp will cut through the plating.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Your credibility just went out the window on that one.

What you probably saw was a bullet stuck in the bore and another round fired on top of it that blew up the gun.

I use H110 in 44 Magnum, 45 Colt and 454 Casull. I've stuck bullets in the barrels of all three calibers because of reduced loads.
I've shaken out large clumps of unburned powder. I've had bad ignition where one round went off as normal, but the next round just went poof with a lot of smoke.

I've loaded H110 so low that if I didn't notice a new hole in the target I immediately rodded the barrel to check for a stuck bullet.

Most of my H110 loads are 1 to 1.5 grains below the minimum listed charges. I've been doing this for many, many years and thousands of rounds.

Where's my detonation?
A stuck bullet from a reduced charge more likely will cause a bulged barrel, a round fired on top of another will not guarantee a blown up gun.
I have had one stuck bullet, not a reload but a W-W factory round in a New Glock 21 I bought. I fired another round without knowing, and it bulged the barrel to where the slide would not open. A new barrel took care of it.
In basic training at the rifle range, after a mid session cleaning, a fellow recruit (an idiot it turns out) down the firing line, was stopped by the drill sergeant, the guy had resumed firing with the cleaning rod still in his barrel. Seven bullets had stacked up against the rod and fused together. The barrel was the only thing damaged, but for safety concerns the bolt and receiver were retired as well.
Not saying a stuck bullet in the bore would never result in a blown up gun, but it is almost never catastrophic.
My question is, why would you purposely load H-110 so low, especially after having previously stuck bullets in 3 different calibers with using low charges of H-110 ? Why not just use a faster burning powder for reduced loads ?

·
Registered
397 Posts
...My question is, why would you purposely load H-110 so low, especially after having previously stuck bullets in 3 different calibers with using low charges of H-110 ? Why not just use a faster burning powder for reduced loads ?
Because I wanted to know for myself about downloading H110, instead of relying on internet posters who mostly just repeat what they've heard others say.
No internet thread gets more than a few posts before someone says to never download H110 or bad things happen.

I decided to find out for myself.
I did it on purpose. Carefully watching for squib loads.

I do use faster burning powders for reduced loads.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts