Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I went shooting today at the local range. We brought the SR9, 22/45 Mark III and a S&W 686 .357.

There were a couple of guys 2 lanes down shooting together and I noticed one guy kept coming over and looking when my wife was shooting. Kind of bothered me, but I figured he was 1. Checking out my wife and 2. Was amused by our zombie humanoid target.

About the 3rd time he came over he said "those 22s are great for women!". I looked at him deadpan as I was loading my SR9 magazine and said "she's a damn good shot with that 686" (which she is).

He stammered a bit and said "I mean a 22 is a fun gun" and I said "yep, fun for everyone.". I just stared at him after that and after an awkward (for him) silence, he made his way out.

It still amazes me that some men can be so mysogonistic and sexist and rude in today's society. 1. He's checking out my wife right in front of me and 2. He seems to think women can't really handle a larger caliber.

Any of you experience sexism on the range toward you or your spouse?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I hate walking into a gun store just as much as I hate hating walking into a powersports store. No one gives me the time of day. Which is sad 'cause I know more about them half the time and have the cash to spend. It sucks being a girl sometimes, and being young. They think I don't know anything or they think I can't afford to buy it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
a lot of guys look at my g/f in public, its just mens nature ;) i'm sure you look at other peoples wives (even if just a passing glance ;))

as to the other aspect again referncing my g/f, a .22 is a great gun for her, and 1 would naturally assume the same for MOST women. i'm sure some can handle a 357 mag, but a lot more cannot...

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Dude, With all due respect, before I can offer a comment or opinion on this post I'd have to see a picture of your wife.

ONLY JOKING!!! Humor intended! No offense intended and Yes, I may be a bit of a misogamist, something my wife occasionally accuses me of of, but I'm never rude. :) :) :)

BTW, My favorite guns to shoot at the range are my many .22's and if anyone ever has an opinion about that, I'm ready to defend my manly honor. :D :)

Whoops! I see you've posted a pic of your misses and I too would take offense at that guy's comments and question his "interest".

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Forrest's mom was right...many times over! Idiots are everywhere...it only takes one small thing for them to publically display their stupidity...and sometimes, not even that much! Just a thought, but maybe next time (if there is a next time) suggest the gentleman ask your wife for lessons on how to properly shoot the 686?

My wife LOVES shooting my 4" SP101 in .22lr...and uses it to 'warm-up' on a regular basis! But that doesn't mean she doesn't shoot HER Glock 19 9mm, my GP100 in .357 Mag, HER Remington 870 Tactical in 20 GA, etc. She simply enjoys shooting the .22lr! [I enjoy having her shoot the .22lr because a) it's cheaper to shoot and b) because she's become a much better all-around shooter because of the skills she's develop because she shoot's .22lr!] She'll shoot a 100 rounds with it everytime we hit the range...one can't help be become a better shooter after firing that many rounds!

Please pass along to your wife that my wife loves to shoot .22lr...and that she should thoroughly enjoy her time shooting that round!

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
a lot of guys look at my g/f in public, its just mens nature ;) i'm sure you look at other peoples wives (even if just a passing glance ;))

as to the other aspect again referncing my g/f, a .22 is a great gun for her, and 1 would naturally assume the same for MOST women. i'm sure some can handle a 357 mag, but a lot more cannot...

Sorry dude, a passing glance is different than staring at another guy's wife IN FRONT OF the husband. That's just rude.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh don't get me wrong, she loves her Mark III .22lr....so do I! It's a breeze to shoot and deadly accurate. We'll usually put 200-300 rounds through it every range trip.

But to assume that's a "woman's gun" is just ignorant.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Well, okay, try it from a woman's point of view.

Yes, there have been some knothead males that assumed I couldn't shoot and didn't take me seriously just because I'm a gal, but, to be honest, it's pretty rare. By far and away, most of the guys I meet at the range have been gracious and respectful as all get out (especially after we compare targets LOL). If given a chance to show what I can do, no problem and it is fun to see the look on some guys faces when I go to work with my 1911s and 357s or my Contenders. I show them no mercy. :)

I do get miffed at the sales counter when I get passed by so that the salesman can wait on a guy, especially when said salesman barely knows which end the bullet comes out on some guns. That one really irks me.

Still, overall, I take things in stride, but, then, I'm a people person and an optimist. The vast majority of guys have been great, just like they are on this forum. I think more gals would try shooting if they knew how well guys, in general, will treat them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife and I shoot most every saterday on our local outdoor range, we BOTH absolutely LOVE our .22's. Yes, me too, big burly dude shooting leeeeeetle bullet..lol We will put nearly 1000 rounds down range a week in one go. And I have to say, on the range, the guys have been proper, and respectful. maybe they're just good people, or maybe its papa bear 5 feet from her, dunno..lol but all in all, great experience on the shooting line.

Where we have the issue is, just as Ncountrygal says, is at the gun counter in our local gun stores..I was in a local cab.. gun store, sent the wife in to the counter while I hung back looking at something. We were there to drop a whack of coin on a fancy pants scope for her 10/22... I was uphauled how the sales guys would litterally walk past her over and over, never even making eye contact to acknowlege her standing there..

After a few minutes of this, I could see my wifes hair beginning to stand on end, so I walked over. Wouldn't you know it, instant service..

This has been the typical experience at the gun stores for her. Enrages me to no end. Unfortunately for us, we have a limited number of stores in our area that sell firearms or related stuffs, so I cant even boycott a store. Is it really as prevalent as it seems?

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be fair, we've never had that kind of behavior before at our range, and we go quite a bit....in fact I'd say there are women shooting almost every time we go. I can honestly say my LGS/range does NOT treat women rudely or disrespectfully....they treat everyone the same.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Where we have the issue is, just as Ncountrygal says, is at the gun counter in our local gun stores..I was in a local cab.. gun store, sent the wife in to the counter while I hung back looking at something. We were there to drop a whack of coin on a fancy pants scope for her 10/22... I was uphauled how the sales guys would litterally walk past her over and over, never even making eye contact to acknowlege her standing there..

After a few minutes of this, I could see my wifes hair beginning to stand on end, so I walked over. Wouldn't you know it, instant service..

This has been the typical experience at the gun stores for her. Enrages me to no end. Unfortunately for us, we have a limited number of stores in our area that sell firearms or related stuffs, so I cant even boycott a store. Is it really as prevalent as it seems?
That "cab. gun store" has been the biggest offender. So much for their great service. That's one reason I much prefer to shop at my LGSs. They all know me, personally, now and bend over backward to take care of me. Of course, it helps that I've purchased a lot of guns and accessories from them, rather than buying at the big stores or the internet.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I haven't seen any women who could shoot at my current range. I have seen a few in the past. I had an ex who got interested because of my shooting, and within a month she was out-shooting me. With everything from a 10/22 to my Security-Six......:D

Women who get good instruction usually learn faster and better than men. They don't have the, "Hey I'm a man, it's in my genes!" macho problem. They pay attention.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Granted I wasn't there but sounds like things got blown way out of proportion. Maybe the guy wanted to strike up a conversation and didn't know how. I have no problem talking with strangers but for others it is sometimes difficult and they come off as awkward.

You did say "she loves her Mark III .22lr" So the guy made the correct assumption it was her gun.

My wifes good friend is a tiny little Korean girl and she loves shooting my Kimber 1911. People always comment on her shooting and watch her shoot. Nothing more than friendly conversation and the getting over the initial shock that a tiny little girl can handle such a big gun so well.

As far "checking her out" Maybe he was watching both of you shoot you just didn't see it cause you were looking at the target.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I haven't seen any women who could shoot at my current range. I have seen a few in the past. I had an ex who got interested because of my shooting, and within a month she was out-shooting me. With everything from a 10/22 to my Security-Six......:D

Women who get good instruction usually learn faster and better than men. They don't have the, "Hey I'm a man, it's in my genes!" macho problem. They pay attention.
Did someone say something?:eek:

Most of us guys that have been around have seen enough women shoot to know that they are often great shooters. I go to the range during the week and see the same guys and gals there most of the time. I know who can shoot and who can't. It seems there is always someone better than you are and someone worse. But what is important is everyone has a good time and shoots safe.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I talk to the wives and girlfriends all the time. At my age, when one wears a NRA SRO vest and hat ... and a wedding ring ... one can comfortably talk to anyone. :)

Most of the ladies are quite good with their firearms ... and I never fail to let them know that they are doing much better than I could do ... which is the truth. That usually brings a big smile and a pleasant conversation all around.

Forget about the guys who look and stare. They're just too immature to know how to talk to women. It's the old farts like me who you have to worry about. :D

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The wife was at a major retailer looking at handguns in the counter. A salesman asks "Do you shoot?" she says "yes I do" he says as she looks at 1911s, "those are probably too big for you", her reply "well they aren't as big as the one in my handbag!" and walks away and mutters loudly "jerk".

·
Registered
815 Posts
My wife and I went shooting today at the local range. We brought the SR9, 22/45 Mark III and a S&W 686 .357.

There were a couple of guys 2 lanes down shooting together and I noticed one guy kept coming over and looking when my wife was shooting. Kind of bothered me, but I figured he was 1. Checking out my wife and 2. Was amused by our zombie humanoid target.

About the 3rd time he came over he said "those 22s are great for women!". I looked at him deadpan as I was loading my SR9 magazine and said "she's a damn good shot with that 686" (which she is).

He stammered a bit and said "I mean a 22 is a fun gun" and I said "yep, fun for everyone.". I just stared at him after that and after an awkward (for him) silence, he made his way out.

It still amazes me that some men can be so mysogonistic and sexist and rude in today's society. 1. He's checking out my wife right in front of me and 2. He seems to think women can't really handle a larger caliber.

Any of you experience sexism on the range toward you or your spouse?
sounds like a big load of overreaction

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.