Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the mood for something different today, so I took my 1940s Winchester Model 94 to the range at lunch and shot a box of 20 shells at a piece of paper.

Mostly I've been shooting handguns at 7 yards standing up. Today I sat down, rested my elbows on the table and shot at 25 yards.

25 yards, to me, is really far.

But I (and this gun) did pretty good I think, considering nothing was in focus. Rear sight, front sight, target. All in various stages of blur.

Anyway, this 30-30 is fun as hell, and I'll tell you what, it turns some heads, sure packs a punch among the 9mm crowd.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
always did like the 30-30. And if they ain't use to it i bet it did turn a few heads!;)

You can also try a peep sight and that might help a bit. Always shot better with peeps than the semi-buckhorn sights.

A good .22 rifle with iron sights is a fun gun to have around and to use to get accustomed to rifle sights plus cheaper to shoot.

Suggest you save your brass for reloading.
Yep eddie, i know---the enabler strikes again!:D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could see putting a peep sight on my Marlin .357 levergun. But this 94's going to stay original equipment. If I never shoot it better than I did today, that'll still be okay by me.

Funny you mention the brass. I carefully saved all 20 (got to where I could catch them on ejection), but gave the box to the range officer who reloads.

.22 rifle, I don't know. I just traded in my .22 single six for a .45 Blackhawk. Yeah, the .22 is cheaper, and if I could plink in my back yard I'd do it all day long. But as seldom as I can make it to the range (twice every three weeks maybe), I guess I just like a little bit bigger bang for the buck. I'm not a fanatic, I don't need a Super Redhawk or whatever, I just like some noise, fire and recoil.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gunman. It is the only gun I have that belonged to my Dad, and it was my favorite of his collection growing up, so it's pretty special.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey one thing though, that rear sight is as low as it can go, and it seems like it needs to be even lower. Anything I can do?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
nice rifle your Dad and you take very good cre of your weapons. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
343 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

Hey one thing though, that rear sight is as low as it can go, and it seems like it needs to be even lower. Anything I can do?
Yes.... shoot it at at least 50 yards. Never get rid of that thing!!! I have one that was built during the war years ( they didn't do a good job of tracking serial numbers those years - they had other priorities ) and it is a great shooter. I have shot it out to 200 yards. I also have a 1950 Winchester model 94 in 25-35 that was my Mother's.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You could lower the front sight...but if I had a model 94 I just wouldn't touch it. Just use the ole Kentucky windage method

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SigDreamer, if I try 50 yards (and I might), I'd better get a bigger target! This thing was getting hard to see at 25!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't sell the Winny to get a kidney! I don't know, I've never needed glasses, but when I turned 40 and started fly fishing, those knots and small hooks really accentuated how badly I needed reading glasses. But now I am starting to see a difference at bigger distances. But hey, I'm pretty happy with this at 25 yards, I'll back it up to 50 and see what happens! It's only paper, right?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Heck, I'd give you a kidney-if you'd let me fondle your Speed-Six while I recovered...tell us 'bout your Blackhawk....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

Heck, I'd give you a kidney-if you'd let me fondle your Speed-Six while I recovered...tell us 'bout your Blackhawk....
I've noted that in my permanent medical record, Sheepdog. Thanks.

I hardly know anything about my blackhawk! Except it was filthy from being handled at the show I guess, but it cleaned up pretty good. I actually might not get to shoot it for two more weeks!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Now that's just not right Eddie - you need to get out there and shoot that thing. We'll be waiting for a range report.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
EddieF, that's one sweet looking Winchester, you really do take good care of your firearms. I wouldn't change a thing on it either. But I might suggest keeping an eye out for a Win 9422. They are a great 22 lever gun in 22 cal that makes an excellent compliment to your 30-30. Wish I had oen again, one of the many I let get away. Keep up the range reports. I haven't had the ability to go in over a month and it's killing me!.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts