Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glenfield semi-auto that FTF often due to the thousands of rounds it has digested. I considered the 10/22 for a couple years, but was put off by its "meaty" feel compared to the Marlin.

Then a co-worker brought her Henry .22 to work and passed it around. I was impressed with the glass-smooth action. She is the current Nebraska Cowboy Action Shoot (Ladies) champion so I figured that she had the action re-worked. Nope, that was an out-of-the-box action!

I have also been going back to the basics on my guns, more bolt and lever action guns and away from the semi-autos.

A few months later when I finally got the cash, I got this beauty:

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
One of my very favorite guns. I don't have one yet, but I want one. Bad. My uncle has one and we shoot the .22 Shorts out of it all the time and it is a really sweet-shooting little rifle. Love that action. You can walk through the woods with it all day and not feel a thing. It's a perfect farm, range or hunting companion.

Enjoy it! I'm envious.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It shoots pretty good, considering that my 55-year-old eyes are getting bad enough that I am having problems with the open sights. But to put a scope on a lever gun is almost sacriligeous! :(

I did stick this one on just to see how it may work. Bit long for my taste.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I bought the .17 HMR version of this Henry, & it's one of my favorite rifles. The only change I made was to purchase & install a Henry large loop, as my big hands didn't fit comfortably in the stock loop. As mentioned above, the action is incredible smooth, & the rifle is a joy to shoot.

By-the-by, I highly recommend the Spee-D-Loader as an accompaniment to your fine, new Henry. Fill this baby up before a trip to the range & the sometimes tedious reloading process becomes slick & simple.

Congrats, & enjoy!

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
It shoots pretty good, considering that my 55-year-old eyes are getting bad enough that I am having problems with the open sights. But to put a scope on a lever gun is almost sacriligeous! :(
I don't know about that... Get you a pretty little Leupold 2-7 x 28 rimfire scope. :)

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I'm not a rifle guy, but that's a beauty. And aren't Henrys made in the USA ??

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not a rifle guy, but that's a beauty. And aren't Henrys made in the USA ??
Yes, they are. And Henry's customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I bought the Henry .22 and it has quickly become my favorite .22 rifle to shoot.

And lemme tell you about Henry customer service. A week after I got mine, I propped it up on a tree or something and it fell over. Receiver cover er got marred up pretty bad. All my fault, not a defect. I called Henry and said I need to order a new receiver cover. Guy who answered said, well how long have you had your rifle? I told him and he said no problem, I'll send you a new one. Came four days later. No charge. Wow.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I could maybe like a stainless Henry if they ever do one. Would be a great partner for my Bearcats, since I doubt Ruger will ever make a similar .22 lever.

I understand that they have had some plastic sights, but recently went back to steel?

I think they are made, of all places, New Jersey? That well-known gun friendly state?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts

I did stick this one on just to see how it may work. Bit long for my taste.

A small red dot is another good option for old eyes and red dot won't alter the balance of gun the way a scope does. A small red dot also looks more natural to my eyes on a small rimfire lever gun than a big scope.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I am headed for an Auction next Saturday. On the list are several Henry's in 45LC, 22mag and 22lr. I think it is time to add one of those beauties to my inventory. After Auction Report will be posted next week.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I have one of their Golden Boys coming to me. It will probably wind up on my office wall.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I could maybe like a stainless Henry if they ever do one. Would be a great partner for my Bearcats, since I doubt Ruger will ever make a similar .22 lever.

I understand that they have had some plastic sights, but recently went back to steel?

I think they are made, of all places, New Jersey? That well-known gun friendly state?
The front sights are now metal. Rifles are assembled in Bayonne, NJ. Casting is done in Henry plant in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Brother bought a Golden Boy and liked it so much bought the Big Boy in 45 Colt. He put the big loops on both of his.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Congratulations on the new American made Henry. I have 3 Henrys myself and they all function reliably and accurately. I second the positive comments on Henry's customer service. I had a minor issue with the magazine rod on my .22 and when I called to ask about a fix, they sent me a whole new rod.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The new guns have metal sights, but what turned me off on them is the way the bottom of the sight assembly sticks down for the pinch screw and ruins the smooth look of it.

This one has the old plastic sight with a more streamlined look. It is gently used and I got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have six of them. Just got a Golden Boy in .17HMR awhile back. I also have the pump, survival, and Mare's Leg. These are sweet guns right out of the box as mentioned earlier. Never had any CS issues but have exchanged several emails with them. Good company IMO.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts