Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the current state of the world, I recently sold one of my Vaqueros to finance the purchase of a high-capacity CCW. My good old J-frame seems somehow inadequate these days.
It used to be that my modest, and ever evolving collection represented things like nostalgia... For my Dad's hunting guns... For the history of the wild west, the world wars, and now that I'm older, my own youth.
It has also always represented an appreciation for the fine art of precision design and machining.
Now a days, guns seem more like a necessary part of survival, than a point of enjoyment.
I was just looking at the "Let's see your Ruger single actions!" thread. My very first Ruger... In fact my very first exposure to Ruger firearms, was a 10-1/2" .44 magnum, Super Blackhawk. That gun is long gone, but all kinds of memories are still there. (I could write a book.)
So... Even though I now feel like I NEED to have guns, opening the safe and looking around, reminded me why I still love HAVING guns.;)

Reactions: dV8r

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Now a days, guns seem more like a necessary part of survival, than a point of enjoyment.
Nice posting. I'm really warming up to modern, high capacity, plastic frame, striker fired pistols.

Guns like single action revolvers may be nostalgic anachronisms for a lot of folks nowadays, but during their time they were also "a necessary part of survival" and tools of Americans rising to the challenge of the time. The model 1911 or M1 Garand were also tools by and for Americans rising to the challenge.

Now today we just have today's tools for today's challenges. But someday our grandchildren will wax nostalgic over them.

Registered
I've stopped buying "Jewell's", and started stocking up on "Tools".....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice posting. I'm really warming up to modern, high capacity, plastic frame, striker fired pistols.

Guns like single action revolvers may be nostalgic anachronisms for a lot of folks nowadays, but during their time they were also "a necessary part of survival" and tools of Americans rising to the challenge of the time. The model 1911 or M1 Garand were also tools by and for Americans rising to the challenge.

Now today we just have today's tools for today's challenges. But someday our grandchildren will wax nostalgic over them.
Yep. The eternal, ending of innocence.:eek:

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Yep. The eternal, ending of innocence.:eek:
To me it's not much to do with the ending of innocence, but realizing that what was "cool" for me as a kid may not be the coolest thing for my kids' generation.

ARs never really did much for me, but when my kid wanted to build one as his first centerfire rifle, who was I to say no? He's grown up seeing American heroes - police and military - carrying those rifles on TV. More and more, hunters are taking "modern sporting rifles" to the field, and he sees that too. He's not watching Roy Rogers and old fashioned westerns. Who am I to rob him of what's interesting and exciting for his era and try and force a lever action on him? All I'll end up with is a kid who isn't interested in hunting and shooting.

Registered
I'm a believer that the heart of a gun is the barrel and the wood is the soul. Nothing prettier to me than a beautiful wood stock rifle or handgun (except maybe a firm-feeling woman). I look at my 1911's and other guns as a proud owner of fine art appreciates his collection. For instance, who can say the Ruger MK III Hunter isn't beautiful.

However, when the SHTF in America I'm quite prepared with high capacity large caliber plastic pistols and a very accurate black rifle. They are not pretty but if things get bad, they'll be my go to guns.

I've been a hunter all my life and spent some time as a soldier and my guns are special to me. So I'll keep and admire my pretty guns but just in case, I'll keep some working guns on hand.

I never thought I would think like this in America.

Registered
:(. A sad ending for the Roy Rogers cap guns ...

Registered
We can see this being reflected across the nation, as black and plastic weapons popularity goes up, and as the next generation of firearm lovers come of age.

Super Moderator
I don't want to make this too political as it's a tavern post but all the shootings happen in gun free zones. Capacity is a non-issue when you are forbidden by law to carry. I don't feel undergunned with my 5 shot J-Frame but would never discourage anyone from buying another gun.

Registered
I don't want to make this too political as it's a tavern post but all the shootings happen in gun free zones. Capacity is a non-issue when you are forbidden by law to carry. I don't feel undergunned with my 5 shot J-Frame but would never discourage anyone from buying another gun.
I agree. MOST of the mass shooting suspects either commit suicide as soon as confronted with any type of confrontation, or like the Aurora guy, give up without a fight. Might not be as true for the ISIS sympathizers, but don't know I want to stick around for a gun fight when they're using pipe bombs.

I carry a 5 shot revolver or 7 shot Mustang or Defender when I'm not at work. I feel just fine. But I also feel just fine with you carrying your 17 round CZ or Glock as well.

Premium Member
I need my range toys and heirloom guns just as much as I need my modern purpose specific guns. It's a different type of need but it's equally as important. The human condition is not complete without pleasure and personal satisfaction. We have to have activities that nurture our soul. My range toys and BBQ guns are some of the things that fill that need for me. No they aren't a need in the sense of basic survival (food, shelter, protection) but they do fulfill that intrinsic human need for contentment and pleasure.

My Glock 21 is a practical need. It sits in my nightstand ready to protect me and my family. Same with my Colt AR. It's readily available for use against two and four legged predators. My 870 and my 30-06 Guide Gun also fill a specific practical need as they are my hunting guns. The other 30 or so guns in my safe are range toys and BBQ guns. I Just like them and they contribute to my overall sense of contentment and enjoyment. They aren't the only things that do that and in fact aren't the primary things that do. However, they're still important to my relatively healthy state of mind. So in that regard I 'need' them.

Registered
I need my range toys and heirloom guns just as much as I need my modern purpose specific guns. It's a different type of need but it's equally as important. The human condition is not complete without pleasure and personal satisfaction. We have to have activities that nurture our soul. My range toys and BBQ guns are some of the things that fill that need for me. No they aren't a need in the sense of basic survival (food, shelter, protection) but they do fulfill that intrinsic human need for contentment and pleasure.

My Glock 21 is a practical need. It sits in my nightstand ready to protect me and my family. Same with my Colt AR. It's readily available for use against two and four legged predators. My 870 and my 30-06 Guide Gun also fill a specific practical need as they are my hunting guns. The other 30 or so guns in my safe are range toys and BBQ guns. I Just like them and they contribute to my overall sense of contentment and enjoyment. They aren't the only things that do the and in fact aren't the primary things that do. However, they're still important to my relatively healthy state of mind. So in that regard I 'need' them.
Well said!

Registered
I guess I still don't feel the need for plastic guns, semi-auto guns. Suppose it matters where you live. My little .44 Special Bulldog seems plenty for anything I'll ever need around town. And and 12G Coach gun + Bulldog for home... My sixguns and lever/bolt guns work well for the woods. Worked well then, work well now.

Registered
I look at it this way. Even a .22 handgun is better then throwing rocks and a sharp stick.

Registered
There will always be room in the safe for my .45C Blackhawk but then it's a using gun, just like the CC guns.

When one only owns a few handguns it's easy to find a Use for them and difficult to part with one.

Registered
Revolvers make the world go round and a 17 round Glock is a good tool. If, when SHTF, I hope to shove some J frames in pockets and strap on the 1911. That is a solid compromise.

Oh yea and an AR, shotgun, 10/22, rocket launcher, MRAD, and some beef jerkey I think.

Having more capacity has some advantages, if you are well practiced with it.

Registered
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You don't have to lose style to get a high capacity semi auto. This is especially true if you open yourself up to the used market. Between the Browning Hi Power (the original high capacity 9mm), Sig Sauer P220 series, Beretta 92 FS, 1st 2nd and 3rd all metal Smith and Wessons, CZUB like their 75 series pistols, Tanfoligo CZ 75 clones, old Star Firestar series, Astra, Lama, FEG, and so on and so on. The list of cool vintage new and used reliable steel and alloy autoloaders are vast and if you do your research you'll find one you like that has a fair number of replacement parts.

Heck throw 1911s on that list, they're sill relevant in today's world for self defense purposes. I've shot a Glock, it's ok, I don't like the two trigger system. I don't like the internal striker. If you have a failure to fire all you can do is rack the slide. No way to pull the trigger a second time or manually cock the hammer. That's a huge disadvantage to me over hammer fired autos. About the only striker fired pistol I'll ever consider is the Khar K9 because it's all stainless steel and double action capable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts