Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently bought a very nice service six but the hammer hangs up a little when cocking manually or in DA. What would be the fix if any?

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Any other information? When is it hanging up? Is it just dragging on the frame, or is it mechanically binding? Is it timed too early such that it's hanging up at the very beginning of the hammer stroke? Is it timed too fast such that it's hanging up at the end of the stroke? Is it just spring stacking?

The mechanism is pretty straight forward - figure out what action is happening, or supposed to be happening, when the "hang up" occurs.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right after you start to pull the hammer back. I'd say when you've only moved it 1/4-3/8 of an inch. It is not dragging on the frame nor is it the spring stacking

·
Registered
109 Posts
Forcing cone rubbing against cylinder maybe? This has happened to me. It would leave a mark. You would be able to see it.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Could be something as silly as "gunk" around the ejector star. My new GP100 did that the first couple of times I shot it. The cylinder would turn and close but the hammer wouldn't move much at all. I emptied it and wiped the ejector star with a cloth as good as I could. I never really "saw" the culprit but it did the trick.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured it out. It's where the front of the trigger bears on the cylinder stop. It will take some more polishing to get it as smooth as I like but he will have a VERY nice trigger job when I'm done :D

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Just got back to this one - sounds like you're back on track. As you discovered, hang up on the trigger early in the trigger travel is usually attributed to the locking bolt - the first thing which needs to happen as the hammer/trigger start traveling is for the cylinder to unlock to be allowed to rotate. If that doesn't happen, the indexing pawl will try to carry up against a locked cylinder... Won't happen. At best, it feels like drag, at worst, it locks solid and won't function.

Glad you got it lined out!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back to this one - sounds like you're back on track. As you discovered, hang up on the trigger early in the trigger travel is usually attributed to the locking bolt - the first thing which needs to happen as the hammer/trigger start traveling is for the cylinder to unlock to be allowed to rotate. If that doesn't happen, the indexing pawl will try to carry up against a locked cylinder... Won't happen. At best, it feels like drag, at worst, it locks solid and won't function.

Glad you got it lined out!
Thanks. I just got finished putting it back together(the trigger spring on the six series is a #[email protected]$%^%) and the DA pull is SMOOOOOTH as heck and the SA is a crisp hair trigger and that is with stock springs. I think he will be very happy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
had a similar issue with my 1708. Pulled the trigger back, then worked the hammer back and forth to see where the friction is. It had a hitch about 1/3 the way back. Turns out it was the hammer strut rubbing slightly on the grip screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts