Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ruger NM blackhawk, the hammer won't move all the way down to rotate the cylinder. When the cylinder is not in the revolver I am able to move the hammer down freely, but when I put the cylinder in the hammer doesn't move.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
When you close the loading gate do you align a cylinder chamber with the bore and get the cylinder to lock into place before trying to cock the gun?
This puts the cylinder "in time" with the hammer and pawl mechanism.

This is an important step to loading and firing this gun, as noted in the NM Blackhawk owners manual.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Then is sounds like something is stopping the cylinder from rotating and effectively locking up the hammer mechanism.

Ammunition that won't seat properly in the chambers can cause this.

Dirty cylinder chambers can also cause this, especially in guns chambered for 357 but shooting a lot of 38 special rounds.

My Security Six will jam up if the cylinder or forcing cone gets really dirty.

Other than that, it would be a defect and you might want to contact Ruger about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It also sounds like the rear frame is making contact with the cylinder. if you can hold the gun up to the light and see if you have clearance between the frame and the cylinder. i have seen where they have been macheined a little off on some of the new modles or the cylinder is making contact to tight with the forsing cone. hay you never know.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check to see if the pawl movement is restricted by the cylinder or check the cylinder notches to see if somehow they are dragging on the cylinder lock and preventing the cylinder to rotate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts