Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a tool that goes over the hammer sturt to hold the spring down when your replacing the spring?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yes, place the strut and loaded spring in a vise and use a dinner fork to compress the keeper and spring so that the pin can be safely pulled out without losing an eye.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep used one the last time just thought there was an actual tool that they used.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've had more than a few grip frames sent to me for fitting grips with the hammer strut and spring ready to pop out. So, I always remove them and capture the spring on the strut.

The last one I had sent to me in that condition was one with a lock in it. I was surprised how easy it was to push that spring down on the strut.

One of the senior guys on the other Ruger Forum has repeatedly spoken of how weak those new springs were. Now I know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Cary,

I clamp the top of the strut in a vise, then use a simple pair of pliers to hold the strut support while I push it down and stick a decapping pin in the hole.

So far I've only slipped once. I did find the spring on the other side of the basement. Luckily I have a small basement.

Joe

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Cary,

I clamp the top of the strut in a vise, then use a simple pair of pliers to hold the strut support while I push it down and stick a decapping pin in the hole.

So far I've only slipped once. I did find the spring on the other side of the basement. Luckily I have a small basement.

Joe
Vise + fork + paper clip works for me. What ever works for you, that's all that matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts