Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 44 special New Vaquero, 4 &5/8 on Gunbroker. Will a standard Blackhawk hammer fit without modification? I do not care for the NV hammer. (Perfect
caliber, good price without any premium for the caliber. Wanted one for a long time.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
It should drop in with no problems but some minor fitting may be required. I swapped a SBH hammer into mine with no issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Where is a good source for the SBH Hammers that are going in your Vaqueros?

Uncle Arthur has started to inhabit my right thumb, and I'm thinking the lower profile of the SBH hammer will give me more time shooting "Gunfighter".

Thanks in advance for any information.

WR

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess that I should read a little slower....

You are putting them in New Vaqueros, I need a lower hammer for the original Vaquero....

WR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, Midway has, or at least, had SS Super Blackhawk hammers recently... I ordered on a few weeks back. Now I just need to get my courage up to swap out the hammer in my Flattop 45C/45ACP Blackhawk!!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bisley hammers can also be made to fit Vaqueros and New Vaqueros (BH’s and SBH’s as well). All New Model SBH, Vaquero/BH, New Vaquero, and Montado hammers are interchangeable and fit all Ruger Mid and large New Model centerfire frame revolvers produced after 1998, including Bisley’s. Bisley’s have oversized “rumps,” such they don’t fit anything but Bisley grip frames unless they are modified. (Note - Montado and New Vaquero hammers will be oversized for pre-1998 revolvers, not so much as Bisley’s, but in a similar way).

Pictured here, L to R, are hammers for Super Blackhawk, Vaquero/Blackhawk, Bisley modified for pre-1998 (SBH, standard Bisley, Bisley modified for post-1998 (New Vaquero profile), and New Vaquero. The radius of the rump is the only difference in fitment among all of these New Model hammers.

6348421A-245B-4631-9E67-F8ED2A70746D_1582227331671.jpeg

The only detail needed for folks to modify a Bisley hammer, the lowest spur of all Ruger centerfire single action hammers to fit every other grip frame option is whether the revolver was manufactured pre or post 1998.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well this is a little different i have a ruger new vaquero was putting a sbh hammer but the cylinder rotating paw or hand was to long. When i turned the cylinder by hand the paw was draging on the back of the cylinder so i did what i had read and filled it down but i went to far everyone says brownells carries the paw or hand but when i try and look it up i cant find any on brownells or midway usa
Does anyone have a part number

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,309 Posts
I'm not sure when Ruger made the change but I know my NM Blackhawk made in 1976 has a thinner transfer bar and a thinner top step on the hammer than my current model Blackhawks. This means ….. if you have an older Blackhawk, a SBH hammer will not work (no firing pin dent) unless you replace the transfer bar with a current production thicker part or grind about .020" off the top step of a newer hammer.

357 Vaquero, It's called a "pawl" and Ruger's part number is: KMVQ00701. Brownell's part number is :780-001-296WB and sells for $8.99.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Fellow Ruger folks, Well, I finally got the time, & courage up to swap out my factory BlackHawk hammer, & replace it with a Super Blackhawk hammer!!! It did take me several tries, but, I finally got everything in the right place, at the right time!!!! Ha Ha Ha..... seemed like every tiny part that could fall out, did, at one time or other. That being said, the Super Blackhawk hammer is so much nicer, at least in my opinion. And my poor old arthritic thumb can reach it easier!!!! now my 45 Colt/45ACP Convertible feels much better, & I feel even looks better..... I guess now the next thing might be the Cylinder Throats. We'll see about that at a later date. Thanks for the info gleaned here on this site!!!!!!!! Idaho-5R

·
Registered
331 Posts
Congrats! The SBH hammers are much nicer. I've done the swap on all mine that didn't already have them or a Bisley. Easy and relatively inexpensive update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts