Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have a standard version of the AR 556. I want to change out the hand guard to a magpul hand guard. I know that with the current A2 front site, I will need the carbine length hand guard to make everything work.

Question is, if I change the gas block to a low profile block, can I then use either the mid length or the rifle length magpul hand guard? Is the rifle length hand guard to long? What holds the front of the hand guard on the longer ones (for stability)?

If im changing to the low profile gas block, is there any reason to remove the barrel nut, or can that stay right where it is, just install the new gas block to the gas tube?

Is there any reason to stay away from the mid length or rifle length magpul hand guards? Am I thinking about this in the totally wrong way since I have a carbine length gas system? HELP!!!

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Magpul hand guard should be a direct replacement. Low profile gas blocks are usually used for free float hand guards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to put a low profile gas block because the A2 style site is built into the gas block. I am wanting to put a longer hand guard on it, either mid length or rifle length.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one else has any insight to this? Im still unsure if the mid or rifle length magpul hand guard will work with the AR 556 and the low profile gas block.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,534 Posts
No you will not be able to. The position of the gas block determines which two piece handguard you can use. If you go to a free float and low profile block you can use just about any free float length forearm.

Since you have the carbine length gas system, you have to use carbine length 2 piece handguards, doesnt matter which gas block you use. Or go to a free float. Only way to use 2 piece mid length or rifle length hardguards is to replace the barrel with a midlength or rifle length gas port system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
All depends on what you want to do and how cheap.
Buy a complete upper from PSA with whatever handguard and gas system you want.
Buy the tools and parts to remove the FSB and install a LP gas block.
Take a cutoff wheel and trim the FSB to fit.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I need to put a low profile gas block because the A2 style site is built into the gas block. I am wanting to put a longer hand guard on it, either mid length or rifle length.
So do it. I'm not stopping you. :)

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will likely have to change the barrel nut with whichever free float you choose. You can make the handguard as long or short as you please, there's nothing to support it beyond the barrel nut. Less in contact with the barrel results in greater accuracy. Although it's probably not relevant with these guns.
Be prepared to take a pipewrench to the barrel. With a 5 foot piece of pipe on the handle. Put a light coat of never seize on the new one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
You will likely have to change the barrel nut with whichever free float you choose. You can make the handguard as long or short as you please, there's nothing to support it beyond the barrel nut. Less in contact with the barrel results in greater accuracy. Although it's probably not relevant with these guns.
Be prepared to take a pipewrench to the barrel. With a 5 foot piece of pipe on the handle. Put a light coat of never seize on the new one.
If he has the A2 front sight it is a little more complicated than just taking the old barrel nut off and putting a new one on. The front sight has to come off before the barrel nut can come off and most of the time getting the front sight off is not an easy task especially if the OP has not done it before.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,534 Posts
If he has the A2 front sight it is a little more complicated than just taking the old barrel nut off and putting a new one on. The front sight has to come off before the barrel nut can come off and most of the time getting the front sight off is not an easy task especially if the OP has not done it before.
True, and the correct tools to do it. flashider, front sight post/ gasblock, handguards and cap before being able to remove the barrel. Never used a pipe wrench on mine, having the proper tools is a must to keep from scratching it all up.

Reactions: *Shoot*

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd never done it and the A2 sight came off super easy. Just drive two pins out and a soft tap with a rubber hammer.

As far as the barrel nut the AR 556 is notorious for that. Do a Google search and you find a ton of stories about it.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,534 Posts
I'd never done it and the A2 sight came off super easy. Just drive two pins out and a soft tap with a rubber hammer.

As far as the barrel nut the AR 556 is notorious for that. Do a Google search and you find a ton of stories about it.
yeah they should have done a better design, i have not met anyone that likes it even remotely. Weird how they did the gas block pins in top instead of bottom too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts