Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand of hand tools do you own? I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools and I know several have posted here they don't like Craftsman. So why do you like the brand of tools you have?

Also what is in your tool box? I have the basic tools plus a lot of the polished ones and most of the secondary tools. I have an air compressor so I even have the impact sockets. They sure make a hard job easy. And its nothing like opening your tool box and having the right tool.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Mostly Craftsman, but I love Snap-on ratchets and pry bars. Craftsman ratchets are crap IMO. That's for work though....cheapies for around the house.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly Craftsman, but I love Snap-on ratchets and pry bars. Craftsman ratchets are crap IMO. That's for work though....cheapies for around the house.
I agree the Craftsman ratchets are crap. I buy the Polished Pro Craftsman ratchets and they are a world of differance. I also have a few Snap-On and Pro Tools.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have been a professionally paid mechanic since 1980, Mostly Snap on, MAC and some Craftsman all recorded for insurance in case they are stolen.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have tools that are Made in the U.S.A. Even some of the Craftsman tools are made in China. You really have to be carefull and pay attention when you buy things now days. Two of my newer tool chests were made in China but I didn't have a lot of options and needed another tool box.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Snap on, There wrenches seem to hold there shape better and not spread.

·
Registered
137 Posts
spent my years a a machinist.
yeah they were expensive at the time, can't give them away now, not that I would. I ran engine lathes & mills. cnc was the end of my old school trade.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
spent my years a a machinist.
yeah they were expensive at the time, can't give them away now, not that I would. I ran engine lathes & mills. cnc was the end of my old school trade.
Your tools tell a lot about you. Don't people use them anymore?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I avoid Craftsman if at all possible. They look great on paper but I always find some area where they cut the corner: power cords are cheap and stiff in cold, mower has a bag the size of dress pants pockets, chuck on drill is junk, etc. I reciently bought a table saw which looked like a direct copy of a PorterCable - WRONG. Miter tool is so cheap and sloppy as to be useless.
If you read their website the customer reviews are generally pretty negative. Last Craftsman tool I bought was a new Router on-line. The box came and it had been opened and the tool all banged up... Demo/display model.

The house brand of Lowe's is junk too. I don't remember the name but it's blue plastic.

I generally look for PorterCable or Makita. I just a home owner so I don't need contractor grade but I still hate junk at any price.

I bought Ryobi in the past but since they're owned by HomeDepot they've gotten worse and when I try for support on my older products I'm told - tuff luck bub!

·
Registered
342 Posts
i inherited my entire dads shop when he passed. im using some tools that are over 100 years old. i have so many tools i have tools in a seperate tool box on every floor of the house and basement.....all inventoried to have all the same tools! he never threw anything out. he use to have 3 trucks full as a contractor. i still use many table top power tools powered by belt and 1/3hp motors on tension.
it was good enough for him, its good enough for me.
heck, i still use draw blades and slator tools!
i still use hand coping saws instead of ban saws.
i chisel everything and hand sand with blocks.
ill use a belt sander on floors though. its a 3" craftsman from 1969.
dads power tools? yep, he has some....still working.
names like
old milwalkee
skil
porter cable

i cant remember all of them!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I avoid Craftsman if at all possible. They look great on paper but I always find some area where they cut the corner: power cords are cheap and stiff in cold, mower has a bag the size of dress pants pockets, chuck on drill is junk, etc. I reciently bought a table saw which looked like a direct copy of a PorterCable - WRONG. Miter tool is so cheap and sloppy as to be useless.
If you read their website the customer reviews are generally pretty negative. Last Craftsman tool I bought was a new Router on-line. The box came and it had been opened and the tool all banged up... Demo/display model.

The house brand of Lowe's is junk too. I don't remember the name but it's blue plastic.

I generally look for PorterCable or Makita. I just a home owner so I don't need contractor grade but I still hate junk at any price.

I bought Ryobi in the past but since they're owned by HomeDepot they've gotten worse and when I try for support on my older products I'm told - tuff luck bub!
I've found that almost all power tools are made cheap and cost a lot. But I was reffering to hand tools only.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i still use 6' folding rulers!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts