Discussion Starter #1
Well I received a notice from the Tennesse Department of Safety,
alerting me that my carry permit expires in May. It advised me that
I could renew anytime now at a drivers license office OR I could
renew by mail. So I decided to renew by mail.I filled out the form
and attached my check for $50.00 It advised me that it could take
6 to 8 weeks. Anyway it was all pretty painless and I didn't have to
drive a 50 mile roundtrip to the DMV place. Also I didn't have to
surrender my permit which is still good till May 15. If I don't forget it I will post back when I get the renewal in the mail.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Glad they made it easy-in Tx. we have to get some more edimacation and shoot again---fill out lots more papers-and send in I think $90 for 5 years-I don't remember that part-the class was 70-maybe reversed the $$---anyways-seems so far WhiteDog's got the best bargain going!!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I think Kansas is about as bad as Texas. Glad yours was easy.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
In La you can select 2 years for $50 or 4 years for $100, When you reach 65 fees are cut in half. Applications and renewals are done by mail, and on renewals additional educational training is required. I think the class cost me $55 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that Tennessee has as good fees as most states. The first four years is $100.00 plus
what ever the private agency charges for the safety course and fireing range fees...usually
about $35.00 to $50.00 The $100.00 includes the electronic finger printing (all 10 plus both
palms) and the background check. The renewal is $50.00 for four more years....no further testing,fingerprinting etc. I suspect they do a quick check for NCIC and local background
paperwork activity but they don't tell you so on the renewal form. Anyway I will be watching
the mailbox for the next few weeks. My wife will probably get her notice as well in the next few days. Will post the results later on.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Long as your wife don't talk you should get renewed just fine...I got mine last summer-now good till 2011-seems a long time away.......but it's not...we shouldn't have to go through all this-but the fact is that if there wasn't money in it, most states wouldn't have even approved it...about 250,000 have the permits in Tx.-it all adds up...having carried both ways-I like permits. I hope the federal level reciprocity bill goes through this year- too many states honor only certain states' permits-some honor none-and some honor a blanket permit ONLY if you live in the state that issues it-like me from Tx. getting a non-res. Fla to carry in many other states that Tx. doesn't reciprocate with-then N.H. says I can't carry because I don't LIVE in Fla.--the Federal law would stop that-we oughta try to get it passed...any state would have to honor any other state's permit-just like drivers' licenses.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here in Montana its $50.00 for the first one that is good for 5 years, then renewal is $25.00 and it only takes about 3 days to get for another 5 years:D

Sure glad Montana is a Shall Issue State

·
Registered
842 Posts
I just renewed mine last Summer. Cost was $40 to KY state police and $20 to the Jefferson county Sheriff's office(I think that was for that cute photo they took of me):D. Good until 2011. Took about 2 or 3 weeks to get the notice from the state to pick it up at the sheriff's office.
Baker

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Ky is year for 60 bucks. Was only 3 years at first. The funny thing is they will charge you to change your address on your drivers liscense, but it is free for your CCW permit!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Since I live in Tn. I'm glad to know that getting my permit renewed won't be too bad when it come time to renew in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sheepdog,--As I was about to mail my renewual , I read the fine print and found that I still
had to supply a picture with fthe form. I would have had to go to the BMV to get an official
photo. Bottom line is, I will make one trip to the BMV in April to renew my driving license,and
at the sasme time renew my and my wife's carry permit. I will still be about a month early on the carry permit, so it will work kout nicely. Jean got her notice to renew her permit in the
mail yesterday. So all is well.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Take pictures of the happenin'---not that often the gov't's that efficient!!!! Glad it works out so easy for you!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
South Dakota's are $10 for 5 years. We get them back in two to three weeks, at least mine come that fast. We go to our local Sheriff's office. Then they are sent to the Secretary of State in Pierre. Plastic laminated the same size as our driver's licenses. I put blonde for the color of my hair, and blue for my eyes. The sheriff this time changed the hair color to GRAY. Wonder why? The blued-eyed blond is no more! Bummer!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the renewal issue is closed for another four years. Wife and I went to the local motor
vechicle branch on the 11th of April and submitted our renewal applications. We got our new
Tennessee handgun carry permits in the mail today April 26th.(my birthday) Good Service. Glad it
is done.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here in the California, our parents won't let us carry concealed unless you live in the correct county. If you live in a CCW friendly place, your "good cause" will be accepted easily if you are not a felon or such. In much of the state, you have to be politically connected, a movie star, or have already been shot three times in order to get your license.

Before you all make the understandable "well then move" type statements, let me say that I live in the liberal whack job land that I do because I see it sort of as a mission field. I live in one of the least churched counties in the whole country, and have been seeing God make great changes in peoples lives over the last few years.

While I do my best to make changes here, I count it as an unfortunate cost of doing what I love to live in a land where I do not have complete constitutional rights.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cruelshoes
I understand your pain. Hang in there and do what you have to do. God needs all the help he can get. Understand this-- I try to live accoring to man's laws but I consider it a God given law
to protect my and my loved ones lives.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts