Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well purchased this rig recently that I had been working on getting for past couple of years and need help on what is a proper handgun scope for this caliber and barrel length. I originally had not intended to scope it but think it would be best for my needs now that I have it. Could use HANDGUN advice.

What is best magnification power for handgun? And should it be fixed or adustable? What choices do I have for eye relief? Best objective size and reticule? What else should I consider? What are suitable brands for both target and hunting but it needs to be cost effective as much as possible also.

I found the used holster, base and rings and believe holster will accomodate a 2 ring Leupold base.

Really need handgun scope info help and opinions because it has been a very very long time since trying to match a scope with any gun, am sure there is much to learn regarding modern handgun scope features and specifications. And I do not want features that do not need or really what I mean are features that are really
not useable on a handgun! Thanks for assistance and/or input.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! I hardly ever visit this sub forum and I’m aware this post is one month old, maybe you’ve already made a decision, but here’s my advice.

I have two scoped handguns, an Old Model Super Blackhawk and a TC Contender. The SBH wears a 2X Nikon and the Contender a Bushnell variable. The variable can be handy for sighting in from a dead rest, but 2X to 3X is as high as I can go for hunting. Anything higher than that makes it tough to find your target.

There aren’t many companies making handgun scopes anymore, Nikon is completely out of the scope business, I don’t see any Bushnell handgun scopes advertised, but Leupold and Burris still make handgun scopes, and possibly Weaver too. Either one would be fine. I have a new-to-me NM BH in .41 that I’m about to mount a Leupold Delta Point reflex sight on. I like the reflex sights for close to medium shooting, easier to find the target for me and not as bulky. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just looked up your LDP reflex sight. For deer hunting & coyotes using 4.75 inch barrel at woods & creek distances, this type will be good.

Have about decided to get a 2x on 7.5 inch barrel, for bench rest longer range shooting, still like the challenge of holding scope steady. It is difficult but relaxing.

Yep, will continue considering on my single-action optics quest, so thanks again for suggestions. Will be trying different things long term.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts