Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend handgun training in phila. Pa. . I have taken the nra classes, looking for something with more depth. I am not a wanta be, be want useful information for myself to shoot better and self protection.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was going to PM you but then thought, HEY, why not put it out there.

I think your request for help in the area of self dense training, including being proficient with your carry gun was a great question. Perhaps one that needs to be asked by more folks.

It's to bad you didn't get many helpful replies. I can't train you over the internet, and I am not familiar with trainers in your local. But perhaps I can shed a little light on the subject.

Anything I may say is not meant to be an insult to what you may or may not know at this point. I have know way of knowing at what level your at. So take from it what you may.

Some things that should be committed memory can be leaned at home and do not require a firearm.

Some people find this part boring, BUT, learn the Laws of your state that pertain to the use of deadly force. IE, in the home, and on the street, not all States look at the issue with the same perspective.

Here is a little sample from the state of Maine. It's not all inclusive so do some homework.( States differ ) Study yours.

GENERAL PRINCIPLES
Chapter 5: DEFENSES AND AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES; JUSTIFICATION
§108. Physical force in defense of a person
1. A person is justified in using a reasonable degree of non deadly force upon another person in order to defend the person or a 3rd person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful, non deadly force by such other person, and the person may use a degree of such force that the person reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose. However, such force is not justifiable if:
A. With a purpose to cause physical harm to another person, the person provoked the use of unlawful, nondeadly force by such other person; or [2007, c. 173, §24 (AMD).]
B. The person was the initial aggressor, unless after such aggression the person withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person the intent to do so, but the other person notwithstanding continues the use or threat of unlawful, nondeadly force; or [2007, c. 173, §24 (AMD).]
C. The force involved was the product of a combat by agreement not authorized by law. [1975, c. 499, §1 (NEW).]
[ 2007, c. 173, §24 (AMD) .]
1-A. A person is not justified in using nondeadly force against another person who that person knows or reasonably should know is a law enforcement officer attempting to effect an arrest or detention, regardless of whether the arrest or detention is legal. A person is justified in using the degree of nondeadly force the person reasonably believes is necessary to defend the person or a 3rd person against a law enforcement officer who, in effecting an arrest or detention, uses nondeadly force not justified under section 107, subsection 1.
[ 1997, c. 351, §1 (NEW) .]
2. A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person:
A. When the person reasonably believes it necessary and reasonably believes such other person is:
(1) About to use unlawful, deadly force against the person or a 3rd person; or
(2) Committing or about to commit a kidnapping, robbery or a violation of section 253, subsection 1, paragraph A, against the person or a 3rd person; or [1989, c. 878, Pt. B, §15 (AMD).]
B. When the person reasonably believes:
(1) That such other person has entered or is attempting to enter a dwelling place or has surreptitiously remained within a dwelling place without a license or privilege to do so; and
(2) That deadly force is necessary to prevent the infliction of bodily injury by such other person upon the person or a 3rd person present in the dwelling place; [2007, c. 173, §24 (AMD).]
C. However, a person is not justified in using deadly force as provided in paragraph A if:
(1) With the intent to cause physical harm to another, the person provokes such other person to use unlawful deadly force against anyone;
(2) The person knows that the person against whom the unlawful deadly force is directed intentionally and unlawfully provoked the use of such force; or
(3) The person knows that the person or a 3rd person can, with complete safety:
(a) Retreat from the encounter, except that the person or the 3rd person is not required to retreat if the person or the 3rd person is in the person's dwelling place and was not the initial aggressor;
(b) Surrender property to a person asserting a colorable claim of right thereto; or
(c) Comply with a demand that the person abstain from performing an act that the person is not obliged to perform. [2007, c. 173, §24 (AMD).]

I know it's a little much to digest, but it gives you an idea of what you can do, and what you can't do (legally)

So now that we know what we can do, and can't do, the next question should be:
Well how do we do it, I like to look at what a person knows, what they do not know,
what they think they know, and what they need to know,
There is no Cookie cutter training program, people are different,some have Physical health issues that must be taken into consideration. But basic proven tactics should be adhered to.
Not what works for me, or this is the way I do it, or perhaps hey try this.

Safety while training on the street or in the home should be #1,
Safety should be not only be something you know in your Brain, it needs to be part of your muscular functions also. Remember: There are no misses only UN-intended hits, and you own every one of them---forever.

Some other things that need to be covered are.
Equipment: Guns, holsters, dressing around the gun.
Mental attitude, Can you absolutely take another life ?
Stance: when it matters and when it does not.
Getting off the X, shooting and moving. ( if your shooting you should be moving)
Close contact arms length from the holster, ( shooting from retention )
A full understanding of ( action is faster than reaction ) IE, how do I react in a CQC situation ? Do I draw against a gun already in play ? do I add another gun to a situation that has already gone down hill ? Two guns in play, Am I hopping for a tie ?
Do I tie up the other gun with one hand and draw and shoot from retention.
Can I do this if I carry with an empty chamber ? that's an easy one, no you can't.

3,5,7,10 yard proficiency. ( what is combat accuracy )

It goes on and on, but if you do acquire a trainer these are some things you need to be acquainted with. Much to much to discuss here,( difficult but not impossible )

Remember,
We do not rise to the occasion, we revert back to the level of training we have mastered.

And things not practiced under stress cannot be replicated under stress.

In my effort to be helpful, hope I haven't confused things for you.

If you have other questions please ask them, I get the feeling you are interested in learning, You deserve to have your questions answered.

I have left a lot out as it would be impossible to cover it all.

Stay well, stay safe, and stay with it.

You have a lifetime to learn, how long that is depends on you.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
I have mentioned this before. We were instructed by local police & current SWAT team members.

AIM

A = Access. Does the person have access to you?

I = Intent. Has the person indicated an intent to harm you?

M = Means. Does the person have the means to harm you.

If someone is across the street stealing you car, you call 911

If someone is across a football field & threatens you, call 911

If someone is 10ft. away, pulls a gun/knife & says" Give me your wallet or I'll kill you", he has access to you, has indicated an intent to harm you & has the means to harm you!

Defend yourself.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Practical training is only half of it. Situational awareness training you cannot get from practical/tactical. This you must learn on your own, you must practice it everyday in the same way you practice it driving a vehicle. Or I hope you do, that is how some people remain accident free most of their life. Think like a big truck driver, always be aware.

Much of practical training you can do on your own at home with an unloaded, or training gun. Only you can design your training to your needs, but getting some professional opinions is always good. Though be careful, there are a few so called trainers that are nuttier than a fruitcake.

The best outcome of a gunfight is the gunfight that never happens. That should be anyone's most important skill.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Went to the range today. It started raining. Came home and spent about an hour dry firing [with snap caps] some 9mms. Doing that regularly has really tightened up my pistol shot placements.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ok taxpayers, you paid for this, might as well watch---

well, dang! tried to link some youtube videos but I think Firefox/Flash/rugerforum are not going to let me .
go to youtube and search for Keith Sanderson. watch the videos on dry firing and parts 1 and 2 of training.
Sgt. Sanderson practiced enough to make it to the Olympics, has some interesting ideas and drills.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Can anyone recommend handgun training in phila. Pa. . I have taken the nra classes, looking for something with more depth. I am not a wanta be, be want useful information for myself to shoot better and self protection.
Certainly not right around the corner from Philly, but also not a terrible car drive away, is the Sig Sauer Academy in New Hampshire. They are a top-notch facility and can pretty much offer you as much or as little as you desire. Good luck in your search.

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/

·
Registered
105 Posts
Take a look at the gunsite classes that are now offered at a range in Richmond VA.

gunsite.com

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
You should be able to find advanced NRA pistol courses in your part of PA.

Even though I spent 30 years in the Corps, I still took Defensive Pistol I and II. Well worth the time and ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.