Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a trip over to a local gun shop today after work,and put my hands on a few other brand firearms today.
S&W's Sigma 9mm SW9VE and a Hi-Point JCP 40.
I like the feel of the SW9VE,but that trigger pull is horrendous-I don't think I would be able to hit the side of a barn with it. It reminded me of the SR9 in weight and feel,just a bit wider across the grip. I don't like the lack of a manual safety,and the DAO is terrible-again...waaaay too stiff of a trigger pull. Fairly priced-esp with the $50 rebate with 2 free mags in the rebate deal. That would put you out the door with a Sigma for around $280 with 4 mags and a case.

The Hi-point was heavy,but it fit my hand really well,and seemed balanced pretty good for the weight-I was quite surprised at how good it felt. They're cheap enough-I might buy one just to toss in the toolshed for encounters with the slithering creatures that visit out there from time to time.

Just some random thoughts....while I contemplate which P-series to buy next week sometime.
JL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Blasphemy! There are no other good guns but Rugers!
LOL....I love Rugers personally.Never had a single failure, jam, or other problem with any of them I've ever handled(except they like to eat ammo-and lots of it every time I handle them). I really like any gun made here in the good 'ol USA. I try not to buy anything made overseas,but it keeps getting harder and harder to do so.
JL

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yeah, guys, I know. I was just joking. I am pretty fond of my Kimber, don't ya know! (Not to mention my two ARs!)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
there's a lot of good guns out there on the market--but unfortunately the sigma ain't one of them!:rolleyes:

A good used smith 5906 is a different horse all-together.;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My younger brother bought a Hi Point 9mm last year (paid $150 out the door). We went to the range and shot it. No malfunctions, but I had a lot of trouble getting used to the trigger. It wasn't bad or anything--just different than other guns i've shot. Overall, I'd own one for exactly what you just described. :cool:

I have zero personal experience with the Sigma, so I can't say much about it--except I've talked with people who own it and hate the trigger pull.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
there's a lot of good guns out there on the market--but unfortunately the sigma ain't one of them!:rolleyes:

A good used smith 5906 is a different horse all-together.;)
Just picked up a very nice used 5903. Haven't shot it yet, but soon.
Same thing, just alloy frame.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
a shame in that s&w i believe have for the most part dropped metal frame guns from the line-up and are investing heavily in plastic such as the m&p. And it appears ruger is following smith's lead as well.

But that just makes a lot more nice used guns to hit the market as folks jump on the new and improved-----especially leo agencies as they trade in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a shame in that s&w i believe have for the most part dropped metal frame guns from the line-up and are investing heavily in plastic such as the m&p. And it appears ruger is following smith's lead as well.

But that just makes a lot more nice used guns to hit the market as folks jump on the new and improved-----especially leo agencies as they trade in.
Honestly,the Sigma feels great in my hand,I was just appalled at the trigger pull. I can't see how anybody could even hit the paper with one. That,and the lack of a manual safety killed it for me.
JL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Honestly,the Sigma feels great in my hand...
It feels, well, natural! ;)

..I was just appalled at the trigger pull. I can't see how anybody could even hit the paper with one.
It's not really much harder than a DA revolver pull. Really! It even cross-trains from a DAO revolver really easy.

...the lack of a manual safety killed it for me.
Again, kinda revolver-like, no manual safety lever. I pretend mine is a 15-round DAO revolver, and it's fun! :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It feels, well, natural! ;)

It's not really much harder than a DA revolver pull. Really! It even cross-trains from a DAO revolver really easy.

Again, kinda revolver-like, no manual safety lever. I pretend mine is a 15-round DAO revolver, and it's fun! :D
Hmm..never thought of it like that,but the couple of Sigmas I handled sure did seem like they had alot more pull force than any DA revolver I've handled in the past.
JL

·
Registered
193 Posts
Geeze Love my XD40 subcompact.And My Dan Wesson .357 revolver, Oh and my browning Buckmark. Ooh ooh and my mini-30,

Basically if it has a trigger and goes bang I love it:D

Except for maybe a Lorcin or a Jennings:eek:

·
Registered
235 Posts
ive shot both the smith can be accurate if you get used to the trigger and the high point did do boom with every trigger pull but give me 6 or 5 for sure any day

1 - 20 of 20 Posts