Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I picked up a nice SR9C a few months ago to go along with my SR9. I am getting ready to do some reloading for this pair. Are there any solid recipes you like that will function well in both. I realize there are different characteristics between the 2(shorter recoil spring in the compact) so a load that works in one might not do well in the other. I am looking for a load that will function well in both for general plinking first and later for self defense. Please chime in

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Regardless of spring size, barrel length, etc. both guns are designed to SAAMI specs. and for shooting any "normal" 9mm ammo. I usually don't give reloading data on line but a starting load of Unique or Universal with a 124 gr. bullet is a good place to start (I do not, nor do I recommend using any load data from any forum expert, range rat, pet loads website, gun counter clerk, or gun shop guru. All my data comes from published reloading manuals, with an occasional look-see at a powder manufacturer's site).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Are there any solid recipes you like that will function well in both.
Any ammo that functions in one, functions in both, unless you are so far out on the edge that it is unreliable in one and nonfunctional in the other. Pick your choice of any 9mm from any reloading manual and you have it. I've shot Universal, TiteGroup, W231 and SR 4756, usually with 115 grain or 147 grain jacketed in both guns. Work up your load as fits your needs and components available.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Generally reload my 9mm with AutoComp or Titegroup, although I did just pick up some CFE Pistol. Load either 115 or 124 grain and as noted by others, I reload to the manufacturer specs. My son-in-law and I have shot our 9mm reloads in a XDs, LC9, SR9, and a Sig SP2022 and they work fine in all of the above.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Set your sights on pistol reloading data | Hodgdon Reloading

I've been using Titegroup in my 9mm's and .45's for practice. One less variable.

Been using plated bullets (whichever ones were the best deal.) Both 115 and 124 gr. Have had zero issues out of my SR9c or Glock 19 and 34.

I haven't been shooting for 'accuracy' or velocity so I pick a medium load and crank away on the Dillon.

I use factory for all my CCW work (save for the .44 SPL--when I carry it).

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have an SR9c and a Shield. When working up a load using ,124gr plated bullets and CFE Pistol. I had a beginning level load that ran in the Shield, but stovepiped every shot in the sr9c. I would have expected the opposite. The brass leaving the Shield just barely made it out

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If Rugers gun designers did their job, the same minimum load will work the same in either - within a standard margin of error which might naturally occur among two identical guns anyway at least.

Longer barrels yield more power to cycle the action, and longer dwell time, but longer barrels and slides also weigh more, have more inertia, so they need more power on the bullet (momentum conservation, Newtons 3rd law) to get moving. It ends up about the same place for minimum energy for most well designed models.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Although an older powder, Blue Dot is a great 9mm powder.

For a newer powder, I like Power Pistol but the flash is a little extreme!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input everyone

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm down to 2 powders for my SR9c. CFE-P and HP-38 for 124gr CMJ-RN Frontier South African bullets. Both are pretty accurate

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
CFE Pistol has quickly become my favorite powder (9mm & .45acp) & I am having good accuracy success with 124 grain plated bullets, slightly more so than with 115 grain bullets. Keep in mind these are informal test as I do not have a Ransom Rest to strap the pistol down, but when 3 or 4 people like 1 bullet over the other, you notice the trends.

I am loading ammo that will function in any 9mm pistol, similar to factory ammo. We currently have an SR9c & Sig SP2022, but have used this ammo in a Glock 17 & LC9, that were mine, but my son now has & it works well in everything we have tried it in.

I have also found the difference in pricing for 115 & 124 grain plated (Berry's or Xtreme) to be only around a dollar.

I will still buy 115 grain if I find a great deal. Around the holidays, Xtreme had a 24 hour sale of 500 115 grain RN plated for $33.xx with free shipping & I don't pay state tax, so I had to jump.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I load for my SR9C and 9E. I cast the lyman 356120. Size .357 and lube with carnauba red. Load over 4.2 gr of Hodgdon HP-38.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts