Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend I bought our second 10/22, a LNIB older 10/22 carbine, s/n 252-xxxxx that looks like it was held once, never shot.

It shot fine for a box-stock rifle, but the trigger pull at nearly 9 pounds was unacceptable, and I've never liked the barrel band or the buckhorn sights.

So after a little web-shopping, the last parts came in today's mail. Now it has:

Butler Creek sporter stock (Schnabel fore-end)
Volquartsen extended mag release
Volquartsen bolt release
Volquartsen hammer/springs and Triggershims shim kit
Nikon 3-9x40 ProStaff Rimfire scope on Game Reaper mount
1 1/4 inch cotton web sling with QD swivels

Now the trigger pull is 2.25 pounds consistently, smooth as butter. (So is the pull on the identically-modded trigger of 10/22 #1.) I'm so pleased I can't sleep, so I put this post up. Will follow with photos tomorrow. Unfortunately there's no time until Saturday to sight in the scope and enjoy it.

Those Redcoats better watch out now...

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are pix of the improved Ruger and its new brother with Tech-Sights.

At the next detailed cleaning I'll take a shot at polishing the bolts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice rifle. What is the difference between the regular stock and the BC Sporter?

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BC has rubber butt pad, higher comb, and a narrower forend with Schnabel tip. Both have hard plastic feel, but these are shooting arms, not safe queens, so I don't mind. Got the BC for $38 on fleabay; I won't cry if it gets scratched up in the woods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BC has rubber butt pad, higher comb, and a narrower forend with Schnabel tip. Both have hard plastic feel, but these are shooting arms, not safe queens, so I don't mind. Got the BC for $38 on fleabay; I won't cry if it gets scratched up in the woods.
Cool. Is it comparable to the Hogue Overmolded? It's certainly cheaper.

·
Banned
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the feel of the Hogue, but have read too many posts that complain about the fore-end flexing under sling tension, enough to affect accuracy. Rather than test the assertion, I just went with a more rigid stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts