Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took my P-90 to the range and shot a box of RWS Match Grade .45acp.
this was the first time I've experienced "hard primers". pull the trigger and click, pull it again and bang. glad the P-90 is DA/SA. this happened several times and I decided it was good training. got to use the DA trigger more than usual.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I've had that happen to me once but actually issue was not the primers, it was the firing pin

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've had that happen on my Bodyguard 380 (with a number of mods) and seemed to be more likely when I staged the trigger to make a very careful shot compared to snapping the trigger, which of course reduces accuracy - but then the BG380 (despite Jerry Miculek's 200 yard shot) is not meant for long distance accuracy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm having happen right now with military .308 ammo. Browning BLR LT and click, reset the hammer and bang. I bought 100 rounds and so far out of fifty shots only one has banged on the first click. Tends to remove the flinch factor. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a DB380 and when this amo actually fires it is AWESOME but it takes 2 or three trigger pulls to get it on my DB380. Feeds well and does tons of damage to water jugs but does not fire well. Funny thing is the first 5 of the 6 worked fine after that was all double or triple trigger pulls. Switch ammo all it well except more recoil.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm not sure if you're shooting reloads, which would indicate the primers are not seated correctly, or as the OP mentioned after "several modifications", such as lightening the springs such as the hammer etc. Either way I would definitely not carry such a firearm in defense of myself or my family.:( Sorry I spoke to soon it wasn't the OP but someone else who posted. But it still goes, I'd be very reluctant to use it in defense mode.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm having happen right now with military .308 ammo. Browning BLR LT and click, reset the hammer and bang. I bought 100 rounds and so far out of fifty shots only one has banged on the first click. Tends to remove the flinch factor. :)
That ammo certainly DOES have hard primers in it, by design and definition. I assume it's labeled '7.62 NATO'. It won't hurt or over pressure your BLR (I have one too). That 7.62 NATO ammo is relatively low pressure stuff compared to what 308 Winchester ammo you can buy. Meanwhile, 5.56 NATO is relatively HOT stuff compared to its commercial twin.

That ammo you're using is military spec'd for military rifles that are semi auto and suffer from a thing called 'slam fire'. The military's answer to that problem is to put those harder primers in.

So what you're really seeing is a mis-match of ammo to gun.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I had it happen with Winchester large pistol primers in my 45 acp Sig P250. When I switched to CCI primers the problem went away. I stopped buying Winchester primers all together because of that experience.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, now I just had issues with some Blazer 9mm with hard primers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts