Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Well, this is disheartening.

I use Winchester primers for nearly all of my handgun loads.
I've never had a single failure out of thousands of rounds.

It is odd that there are more than just a few members here experiencing problems with recently purchased Winchester primers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The only time I had any issues with primers was when I loaded a batch of 9mm with Small Rifle primers (DOH!). I quickly became proficient at clearing my Beretta 92FS (aka M9).

Yes, they all went BANG! with a second strike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried using CCI 450 Small Rifle Mag primers with my SRH 454 Toklat. I’d say about 1in 20 wouldn’t fire. Switched to Federal 205 Small Rifle and now have about 800 rounds through it without a single failure. Really disappointed in the CCI’s.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You didn’t say what you were shooting...I concur with the notion the primers may not have been seated properly...if they are too shallow, the firing pin strike doesn’t deform the primer enough because too much of its inertia is taken up seating it completely. That does not explain why it didn’t go the second strike; however if an automatic, light strikes can also result if there is oil in the striker channel slowing the striker down from hydraulic restriction. If a revolver, single action will strike with more force than double action...in the latter the hammer is not drawn rearward as much as it is when in single action....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Went to the range today, and noticed that it of about 200 rounds 5 or 6 did not go off even the second time around. Very slight indentation in the primers that did not function. These are Winchester large pistol primers. Has anyone else had a problem with Winchester primers?
"very light indentation in the 5 or 6" well there is your clue. Maybe seat too deep or primer holes too deep in that brass? Do the ones that fire have deep indents? Also, if a primer is not fully seated, sometimes the pin's striking force is used to push the primer forward and you get a misfire and light indentation. Winchester are considered middle of the road in hardness with Federal being soft and CCI being hard. That being said you can get a bad batch of anything. I love the Win primers and have used probably 5 K of them without any issue.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Defects do happen. Handloading 'once fired' rifle cases tonight and on one the primer seated to easily, almost completely fell out of pocket. Bought these cases around 1999 timeframe and positive I have not blown the pocket in past, bought primers in 2018. So will be looking at everything in detail for sure.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It sounds as though the #1 clue is the "slight indentation" on the primer. If you have changed the trigger spring, change it back. If you haven't changed it, you should get a stock spring & try it. Lite hits on a primer can break up the primer "cake" in the primer, to the point where it might not go off at all. If you have the ability to pull one of bullets out of one that did not go off, you will find a greenish or brownish dust on the powder in the case (depending on the color of the primer cake). It's possible it's the ammo but from what you've said, i would look at the gun first!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just my opinion but every primer failure I have had in my over 50 years of reloading was related to usage of replacement springs or inattention to details in the primer seating.
I have had excellent results from all makes of primers when I do things correctly. The first place to look is at the person and procedures in reloading. IMO

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Not with Winchester primers...always ignited.
Check depth of primer pockets that did not go off...if the pocket is too deep the fireing pin has trouble reaching the primer.
Good luck finding the problem...they can be baffling at times.
Gary

·
Registered
458 Posts
If it headspaces off case mouth, check case length. If shorter than other cases, would think this and a combination of other issues might cause this.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
Another possibility …. on rare occasions, a firing pin can break. When the gun is fired, sometimes the two broken pieces of the firing pin align and allow the primers to be fired. If the pieces don't align, you will get a very light dent in the primer. It's worth the time to see if the firing pin is still in one piece.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ive not had any FTF from Winchester, Federal, or CCI. But yesterday that all changed,i had two CCI SP that failed. One took 3 strike’s before it fired, the other one never did fire. That was out of 50 rounds. Most unusual

·
Registered
273 Posts
No issues. They or CCI are my go-to primers, depending upon which happens to be on sale.

Winchester’s are reputed to be softer metal than CCIs, but I see no difference. I’d check the gun. Can you repeat the problem with a different firearm?
Been reloading for 40+ years, and never had a problem of any kind with CCI or Winchester primers, Small Pistol or Large rifle. Like Wheelgunner mentioned....maybe check the gun.:)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I rarely use anything but Winchester primers and I've NEVER had a dud or a primer that required a second hit.
My experience mirrors Iowegan's. Rod

21 - 35 of 35 Posts