Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that previous threads have covered this subject, but . . . Do the Acrustrut devices work? I have a Late '80's or early '90's Mini .223 ranch that seems to put the bullet where i put it after the 3rd shot out with a Simmons 3X9 scope mounted on Ruger Rings in the facory bases. I am pretty sure that I have this particular rifle is as zeroed as I'm going to get it. I always quit shooting after the money shot, and I gave my kid my Leopold entry level scope (VX-1) for his RAP rather than unscope this rifle. How many yard's do the devices work out to? I am looking for accuracy out to 300 yards for coyotes. We both have RAP's in .308 for larger game. My lefty son love this rifle also and it will be his some day. Crazy as it sounds, it has always fed from "cheap" pre clinton ban 30 round USA mags with no issue.

I am 43 and should be in love the AR actions, but I have an affinity for the M1/M14 style actions (I dont know why). I always feel the AR actions "sound funny." The only critical failure I have ever had with the gun after factory repair was probably an ammo issue. The fired case split in half and shoved the next round into the front of the case. Prior to the critical failure I had to send it back to Ruger for an apparent gas block issue when I first got the rifle. Ruger in Ruger style fixed it without question.

later, and stay safe
Bill

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The struts work and will likely help you work toward accurate shots at 300 yards. You sound very pleased with your Mini as it is. Try a strut and see if it helps you push the effective accuracy of your particular rifle (it likely will).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put an Accu-strut™ on my 2004 mini 30 just because it looked so cool,now it looks like a mini M14. I dont shoot at very far distances in CT so i cant comment on if it did me any good on way out there shots.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
All three of my older Mini's have an Accustrut, it is the first thing I do to them. If they were grouping 2 inches before, after the strut they grouped more like 1 1/4". There is less difference between a cold bore shot and warm barrel, less vertical stringing as the barrel warms, and because of the heat sink thing, barrels don't get nearly as hot as before. The strut, and using a smaller gas bushing to reduce the violent cycling of the Mini, are the 2 best things to help accuracy in a Mini, IMO. As your Mini sounds like an older skinny barrel one, cutting an inch or two off the barrel, doing a re-crown, and adding a muzzle device (brake or flash hider) will also help. A shorter skinny barrel with weight on the end will have less "whip" and weird barrel harmonics than a longer skinny barrel. The Green/Tan Mini-14 shown in the pic I threaded to 1/2-28 TPI and used an A2 flash hider, the blued Mini-30 has a Choate front sight/flash hider combo, uses two roll pins for attachment. The wood stocked Mini-30 has a single clamp "Socom" strut as the M-30 has a thicker .625" barrel and doesn't need as much help as the older Mini-14, which has the .560" pencil barrel. On those, definitely go for the two clamp strut, it has been proven to help more than the one clamp. Another thing I do that helps the strut do it's work, is the do the "dimple" option. Drill a small pocket under each of the set screws where the strut clamps on to the side of the gas block. That helps stiffen the whole set up.

·
Exalted One
1,808 Posts
Bill, from your description (late 80s/early 90s), it seems you have a "pencil" barrel. The first three digits of the serial number will confirm that (let us know). If that is the case, a 6" AccuStrut will significantly improve not just accuracy but consistency. About the best you can expect, though, is probably 2 MOA, which roughly translates to 6" at 300 yards. A shorter SOCOM-length AccuStrut won't help as much as the 6" strut, but some. If that is accurate enough, then you're good-to-go. To try and get much better than that, you'll probably need to get a new barrel, such as a Shilen, which only handles .223 (not 5.56). At that point, though, it is really no longer a carbine since the barrel is longer and heavier.

Additional options for accurizing are bedding the stock, trigger work, and cryo treatment. There may be some debate as to the effectiveness of the cryo treatment but at about $80, it is not a huge investment and if nothing else, makes cleaning the bore easier...

In my opinion, for the money, I would recommend the following steps:
1. AccuStrut 6"
2. Bedding the stock
3. Trigger job
4. Cryo

A few other techniques discussed in this forum are ensuring the gas block screws are properly (and evenly) torqued for accuracy, reduced gas bushings that cut down the distance of the ejects and 1911 buffers fore-and-aft of the op rod. These last two are not predominantly accrurizing things but will reduce the violent nature of the Mini's cycling. The 1911 buffers are cheap and easy to put in or take out and are generally recommended to help out the survival rate of any optics you might put on. They might help a little with reducing the barrel's harmonics, too.

Lastly, the type of ammo you use is important. I'll leave that topic to others but if you're striving for that type of accuracy, you'll probably need to start hand loading. I use PMC Bronze .223 Rem, which works for me just fine. But then again, I'm a plinker out to about 100 yards - not striving for 300-yard accuracy...

Good luck! Plenty of good advice on this forum.

And welcome aboard!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I installed the "Mo-Rod" on my Mini 30 tact and it made quite a difference.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I installed an accustrut on my older 185 series Mini-14 a couple of years ago. Before that, it would start to vertical string the shots after 3-5 rounds.

This is the last time I took it to the range. 20 rounds fired in about 3 minutes at 50 yards.
The vertical string has been eliminated, but obviously, I won't be doing any 300 yard shots. But it is better than it was. I am using a 2 MOA red dot with no magnification, so a scope would probably do a lot better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm looking at putting an accustrut on my 187 series soon. I'd like to hear from you if you did end up putting the strut on before I open my wallet and let 95 more dollars out.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Just do it, varminthunter. The Accustrut is the single best thing you can do to help the older skinny barrel Mini's accuracy, and it helps to keep the barrel from getting as hot. The two clamp model is best, especially if you plan to keep the Mini's barrel at 18". If you think you might want to cut the barrel down to 16-17", the single clamp model will look better on the short barrel, and cutting an inch or two off the barrel, and adding a flash hider or brake will help make the barrel less whippy, so the Socom strut will do fine.
Whichever route you take, make sure and do the dimple option, it really helps to tie in the strut to the gas block and stiffens things up even more. Just drill a small pocket under the set screws where they dig into the gas block.
As previously mentioned, other things that help accuracy are:
buffers, smaller gas bushing, trigger job or even just a polish, cyro treatment, even gap and proper torque on the gas block, bedding the stock, and using good ammo.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just do it, varminthunter. The Accustrut is the single best thing you can do to help the older skinny barrel Mini's accuracy, and it helps to keep the barrel from getting as hot. The two clamp model is best, especially if you plan to keep the Mini's barrel at 18". If you think you might want to cut the barrel down to 16-17", the single clamp model will look better on the short barrel, and cutting an inch or two off the barrel, and adding a flash hider or brake will help make the barrel less whippy, so the Socom strut will do fine.
Whichever route you take, make sure and do the dimple option, it really helps to tie in the strut to the gas block and stiffens things up even more. Just drill a small pocket under the set screws where they dig into the gas block.
As previously mentioned, other things that help accuracy are:
buffers, smaller gas bushing, trigger job or even just a polish, cyro treatment, even gap and proper torque on the gas block, bedding the stock, and using good ammo.
^^ AGREED ^^ Thats solid advice. And proven.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts