Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
My pet 357 mag load is more than 38+p, but less than full 357 mag. I use my 158 cast and powder coated bullets over 6.5 grains of unique for approximately 1100fps. You could reduce the unique to get what you are looking for. This load is very accurate in my guns for me.

·
Corps Commander NGV
7,842 Posts
I must be the only person that has never had problems with the dreaded "carbon ring". I have shot thousands of 38spl loads through the .357 I got in 1980 without issue. Of course, I clean my gun every range trip. Use .357 mag data in .357 cases. I enjoy .357 loads using 158gr SWC bullets and Unique powder for easy shooting magnum loads.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think that you are more likely to get the dreaded carbon ring from cheap factory ammo than reloaded ammo. while I have never gotten it bad shooting 38’s in a 357, I did get it bad once shooting some 32 S&W longs in a 32 H&R mag. The longs were some cheap lead round nose ammo that I picked up while waiting on reloading supplies.

Reactions: Sr40ken

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Not necessarily to get around the carbon ring problem, but I only shoot .357 cartridges in my .357s regardless. As a reloader, you have the wonderful opportunity to load from 600fps (or lower) to 1400fps (or more) in the same cartridge.... I like to stick around 1000-1100fps (158gr SWC) for my .357s myself. No need for blast and noise for my shooting needs. If I need more than that, I can always go up in caliber.... BTW, same argument applies to the .44Magnum or the .32s.

Seems like this conversation comes up quite often :) .

·
Registered
453 Posts
Here's an older related thread:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I must be the only person that has never had problems with the dreaded "carbon ring". I have shot thousands of 38spl loads through the .357 I got in 1980 without issue. Of course, I clean my gun every range trip. Use .357 mag data in .357 cases. I enjoy .357 loads using 158gr SWC bullets and Unique powder for easy shooting magnum loads.
ngashooter, I guess there are two of us. I have never had a "carbon ring" problem.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I may have not caused a crud ring but I sure have had to remove more than a few from adopted revolvers. Some require multiple attacks to get it done.

Has anybody loaded .357 Mag brass with 38 spl +P loads to get around the carbon ring issue ?
Do it all the time, Why clean a crud ring if it can be avoided.
Simplest method I know of is to simply deep seat whatever bullet you choose to use in 357 brass. Use the load data for that bullet in 38 spl. and seat it to the 38 spl. over all length.
Often with cast bullets it you simply end up crimping over the top driving band.
They may look a little silly (kind of like modified wadcutters) but will shoot extremely well.
I do this with 44mag/44spl, 357/38spl., and of course 327/32H&R.
Maybe not for everybody but an option for an alternate skinning of the cat.
Of course,,,,,, all common sense rules apply.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
18,263 Posts
rkcohen, "Mid-range" has two meanings. At a shooting range, you have close range, mid-range and long range (distance). When you reload, you can load at the lower end of the chart, the mid-range of the chart, or the high end of the chart (velocity).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input. It is actually easy enough to just clean the cylinder
even if I am shooting the shorter 38 spl +P round.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I just clean the chambers with a brass brush . Been loading and shooting all manner of loads in 38 special cases since 1970 in my Ruger Blackhawk . 38's are easier to eject ... the longer 357 cases like to hang up in my 3 screw Blackhawk . I just checked and the chambers are clean as a whistle ... if you clean properly you will never have an "Issue" ... after shooting 38 special cases in it for 52 years I should have an issue ...but a cleaning rod , brass brush and a little cleaning solves the pesky issue .
Gary

Reactions: dwade

·
Registered
60 Posts
I sometimes use Universal powder behind a 158 gr bullet for my .357 magnum. It’s a pretty light recoil and very manageable. I don’t shoot 38 specials in my revolvers or Marlin 1894 anymore.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I shoot both 357 and 38 loads from my GP100 and S&W586 with no issues, but i shoot the 357 loads first then the 38s if you fire the 38s first, you may have trouble chambering the longer shells after. I always clean the guns after each trip to the range so it never builds up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
iowegan, as tronic was talking about loads, not distance at a range, my term "mid-range" applies to something like a 357 case filled with a medium charge and maybe a wadcutter - this to alleviate concerns of deposit rings in a chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Add 10% to the charge weights listed for the 38spcl case when loading into 357mag cases and you’ll end up with very similar pressure and velocity as you’d have expected in the shorter case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anybody loaded .357 Mag brass with 38 spl +P loads to get around the carbon ring issue ?
There are a number of loads in the Hornady, Speer, and Sierra load books for .357 Magnum loads with velocities in the 38 Special +P range. There are also loads available on-line in the Hodgdon and Alliant reloading guides. I use several of the loads available when using cast bullets, and for relatively low-recoil self-defense loads for my wife's Ruger SP101. I don't do these loads to get around the carbon ring issue though. I use them so I don't have to adjust my sizing, belling, and crimping dies to load 38 Special cases.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts