Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if there is any velocity difference caused by the cylinder gap and if so how much. considering getting an LCR for the GF for CC in 38 spl (maybe the 357) or 9mm whichever kicks out hotter lead. I like the idea of the 9mm because of how cheap ammo is but if it comes out of a 2 in bbl at like 650-700 fps then ill get her the 357.

I dont want to start a debate on the effectiveness of calibers in self defense, lets keep this on topic of the chrono numbers a 9mm revolver kicks out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is some test on YouTube you should look at. What was found out is the 9 mm preforms like it does from a 3" auto.
Revolver barrel is measured different then autos. Go check them out

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
There is no doubt that 357 will out perform 9mm out of a snub revolver, but I guarantee that she wont shoot 357 out of the LCR more than once. She will revert to .38 Special, and 9mm will out perform .38s, and the ammo is cheaper. Get her the 9mm or consider the 22 WMR.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I guarantee that she wont shoot 357 out of the LCR more than once. She will revert to .38 Special, and 9mm will out perform .38s, and the ammo is cheaper.
If that's an actual concern (we don't know anything about his girlfriend), the .357 will allow him to tailor the recoil a lot more than a 9mm. 9mm ammo will all be in a similar power range because there is an expectation it be strong enough to cycle a semi-auto reliably. .357 or .38 Special ammo has no such expectation.

To stick to the topic, here is some chronograph data:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCR9mm.htm

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, I have chrono'ed 9mm out of a revolver ( 3in S&W M547). 115's gave in the 1100's.

To overslimplify : A 9mm revolver will give higher vels with similar weights from similar bbl lengths than .38+P+ , less than full power .357.

As my judgement call , the 9mm will still be somewhat controlable.

From my experience .38/.357 revolvers are less ammo sensitive, and can be default trusted than S&W M940 .

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Not to hijack, but since you folk obviously like a moon clip 9mm revolver, what say you all regarding Ruger thinking about making an SP for example in 380 w/full moon's (five shot would make the full moons a requirement). They may not desire to, but going that route they'd be able to shrink down the overall dimensions in scale with the 380 round. A soft kicker as well. Taurus currently makes a snubbie as described, but who wants Taurus if a Ruger is available right? Just your thoughts if that ever were to happen. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
They may not desire to, but going that route they'd be able to shrink down the overall dimensions in scale with the 380 round.
I get the impression that changing frame sizes is not a trivial undertaking, and that that's why most companies that sell revolvers only have a fixed number of frame sizes.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
There is no doubt that 357 will out perform 9mm out of a snub revolver, but I guarantee that she wont shoot 357 out of the LCR more than once. She will revert to .38 Special, and 9mm will out perform .38s, and the ammo is cheaper. Get her the 9mm or consider the 22 WMR.
Going back about 3 years, my mother wanted a 'pocket gun' for taking daily walks out in the county where they live...she just felt the need to have 'something' with her.

In speaking with my brothers about it...we considered her needs...something that went 'bang' but didn't have a lot of recoil...something that was light-weight...something that had 'pull-point-n-shoot' capability...something that she could practice with that wouldn't be very 'harsh' on recoil...something that was not complicated to use...something that would provide adequate penetration in the event that she would actually have to use it (hoping that if she actually found herself in a situation where she felt the need to pull it that the initial response by the aggressor would simply be 'B got a gun' and then run!) etc.

One brother really pushed for a .380 acp (his wife's caliber of choice) but I argued back for the Ruger LCR in .22WMR...which did not have a magazine, a manual safety, and a 'cocked-n-locked' hammer (he wanted her to have a Sig P238). Ultimately, it was decided that the LCR in .22WMR was probably the best overall choice for her at 70 years of age.

·
Registered
487 Posts
9mm revolvers will generally out perform the +P 38 Special in 2 inch barrels. I think it is a good idea.

I wish someone would come out with a short cylinder model that would be correct for the 9mm length.

Concerning velocity, looking at the Gunblast! data shows the same velocity as my 3.5 inch G26 gets with the 115 gr CorBon load.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not that I have anything against moon clips, but the referenced S&W M547 does NOT use clips.

I totally understand the concept of tailoring firearm selections for elderly and physically challenged, been there done that. Multiple factors , in diverse combinations, many answers, and answers change over relatively short time periods.

A hypothetical .380 SP101 would be same weight and size as a 9mm SP101.

If recoil reduction is the prime consideration moreso than the weight of the gun, there are options. Sine this is a Ruger forum, the most obvious, and simpleist is an SP101 , chambered in either .38 or .357. Load with one of the various CAS oriented .38 loads. A 125gr FP rated at 750fps ( from standard length bbl), will give close to 700fps from snub . Not a state of the art SD load, but a .38 flat Point is inherently bigger than any .22 or .25 . Even less recoil than the Plan B . Plan B = Hornaday critical defense Lite, gives recoil and performance similar to a .380

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
In theory you don't really need to carry a loaded moonclip with the 9mm LCR.......given that it can still be loaded and fired without them, you just need a loaded moon in the gun, and a 5 round speed strip of 9mm (which is far easer to carry) to reload it. Carrying a loaded 5 round moon clip can be bulky.

It seems that 9mm out of a revolver is kind of an "inbetweener" to .38 +P and .357, especially when you get into the 9mm+P stuff like Hydra Shok, etc.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In theory you don't really need to carry a loaded moonclip with the 9mm LCR.......given that it can still be loaded and fired without them, you just need a loaded moon in the gun, and a 5 round speed strip of 9mm (which is far easer to carry) to reload it. Carrying a loaded 5 round moon clip can be bulky.

It seems that 9mm out of a revolver is kind of an "inbetweener" to .38 +P and .357, especially when you get into the 9mm+P stuff like Hydra Shok, etc.

are you sure? i'm pretty sure if you try and load a 9mm revolver or any semi auto cartridge revolver without a moon clip it wont work out so well

·
Registered
365 Posts
are you sure? i'm pretty sure if you try and load a 9mm revolver or any semi auto cartridge revolver without a moon clip it wont work out so well
Pictures of my 9mm Speed Six loaded without and with moon clips. The no moon bullets are properly head spaced on the chamber rim. The moon clips only aid in ejection. In a properly designed chamber you can load and fire pistol bullets with no moon clips. You will just have to knock out the empties with a dowel or such.

·
Registered
365 Posts

I carry one extra moon in a regular speed loader pouch I modified. Also as of late I have added a speed strip. Figure if SHTF and I get to the speed strip I probably won't be worrying about poking out the empties.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pictures of my 9mm Speed Six loaded without and with moon clips. The no moon bullets are properly head spaced on the chamber rim. The moon clips only aid in ejection. In a properly designed chamber you can load and fire pistol bullets with no moon clips. You will just have to knock out the empties with a dowel or such.

Well, you got me there! I knew ejection would be a problem even if they did fit, but then this means I was lied to by the salesman at the local gun dealership....I should have known better!

PSA: I used to be a motorcycle salesman, and I held myself to a high standard on the knowledge I shared with customers making sure what I told them was TRUTHFUL, and if I didnt know I said, "I'm not sure, but lets find out!" and pulled my smartphone out and looked it up etc...

What I'm getting at, is people believe ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING I would tell them, just because I was the salesman.

It doesnt matter if youre in the gun shop, car dealership, etc. ALWAYS take what the salesman says with a grain of salt. Or a small pile. Especially if they are on commision. I am a big car nut and time and time again I catch salesman blatantly lying to me about their cars. Okay, rant over.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I carry one extra moon in a regular speed loader pouch I modified. Also as of late I have added a speed strip. Figure if SHTF and I get to the speed strip I probably won't be worrying about poking out the empties.

Say whaaat? A 9 mm SP101? Was this a distributor exclusive or did you have it done custom? Or a discontinued model?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts