Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,182 Posts
From what I read, due to a recent change in the law, a brace on a hand gun is now illegal. Why? By BATFE definition, a hand gun must be capable of being operated with one hand. A brace makes it a 2-handed gun, which is no longer considered a handgun, rather it is a rifle with an illegal short barrel.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I read, due to a recent change in the law, a brace on a hand gun is now illegal. Why? By BATFE definition, a hand gun must be capable of being operated with one hand. A brace makes it a 2-handed gun, which is no longer considered a handgun, rather it is a rifle with an illegal short barrel.
That's interesting. Can you cite the source where you read that?

Also, I was not aware that the ATF changed the definition of a handgun. That would be unfortunate for anyone owning a semi-automatic handgun. The most current ruling I could find is this:

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11. The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having: a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

·
Exchequer
4,500 Posts
OP, I'm certainly no legal expert and what I'm posting here is not intended as legal advice for you or anyone.

That said, I think making any mods to a firearm that may be up for debate and put one in the eyes of the ATF or other law enforcement agencies is, perhaps, unwise.

For what is is worth, here's a link to an ATF Website article of interest:

https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP, I'm certainly no legal expert and what I'm posting here is not intended as legal advice for you or anyone.

That said, I think making any mods to a firearm that may be up for debate and put one in the eyes of the ATF or other law enforcement agencies is, perhaps, unwise.

For what is is worth, here's a link to an ATF Website article of interest:
Thanks. That document is from 2011, so I'm not sure it applies here.

·
Registered
230 Posts
pistol braces are legal on the Ruger Charger (and other semi-auto pistols)... the only real admonition is to not put on a vertical foregrip (although the Magpul angled grip is OK)

you can use a Copper Custom brace adapter and a UTG folding adapter, along with a tube and brace (SBA, Kak, etc.) to create your folding pistol...

a cheaper adapter in the same vein as the Copper Custom is the Farrowtech adapter

another approach is a PMACA chassis, which obviates use of an adapter, as the chassis has threading for a tube...

there is also a new Ruger Charger, Model 4938, which has a built-in vertical rail to attach a brace or folding brace :

https://ruger.com/products/22Charger/specSheets/4938.html

i like my Charger TDs in folding form w/a brace - very convenient for travel to the range:

p.s. and the great news is that the formerly backlogged background check process for individual Form 4 approvals is now apparently down to 90 days (anecdotally from my LGS w/a Silencershop kiosk... my two purchases from June 2019 and July 2019 were approved w/tax stamps in hand in Sept 2019 and Oct 2019)

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My goal is to keep the weight down, so the factory furniture with an adapter and KAK Blade should be the best option. At something like 14 ounces, the PMACA chassis is porky. Awesome, but porky.

Options at this point seem to be Adaptive Tactical and a Dremel, Copper Custom (kinda pricey, as I have laminate furniture), or get my hands on an OEM polymer furniture set and the FarrowTech adapter.

The Charger Takedown is perhaps the best for options (configure it as a pistol or rifle), but the "Takedown tax" on aftermarket barrels is a wee bit painful. I'll cut all that weight off, and have a barrel six inches shorter than the rifle. And then add six inches/six ounces to the end of the barrel again. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Options at this point seem to be Adaptive Tactical and a Dremel, Copper Custom (kinda pricey, as I have laminate furniture), or get my hands on an OEM polymer furniture set and the FarrowTech adapter.
i contacted the Copper Custom folks, and for $49+cost of adapter, it would mill out a wood-based Ruger Charger chassis (TD or full)...

i have a Charger TD w/the wood chassis and stainless barrel (seems to be no longer available at the moment), but i don't like the wood chassis, so i put the receiver and works into a Charger TD chassis from SAP... works for me...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
260 Posts
Source?

I've seen nothing of the sort and I keep my eye on this kind of thing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i should have mentioned that the pistol brace is legal at the federal level - your state may have different rules... heck, there are some states that severely limit the brands/models of guns that may be sold in-state, and even one midwest state (if memory serves) that won't allow sales of weapons with frames/material of a certain melting point...

so, as always, check your local and state rules...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought the Copper Custom Kit and I have about 330 rounds through it. I would look at the Charger over the years and say to myself, "what would I do with a gun like that?". When I saw the arm brace adapter on Youtube I bought it right away. Happy :)

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
I went the Copper Custom route, and luckily using an extra stock I found on Ebay. Given the law changes, I'm glad I have the original stock for shooting at the range, easy to swap out. (NOT intended for legal advise. KNOW the most recent BATFE changes.) Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
this is good reading on the issue of the fore grip discussed earlier and the impact of over all length measurements.

Personally I have rifles and I have pistols and have never felt a need to have something in the grey area.

You run into interesting questions like is long Mag on a Charger really a Mag or could it be used as fore grip? I have seen people use it as a fore grip.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/05/atf-rescinds-prior-methods-to-measure-a-firearms-overall-length-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/

·
Registered
234 Posts
this is good reading on the issue of the fore grip discussed earlier and the impact of over all length measurements.

Personally I have rifles and I have pistols and have never felt a need to have something in the grey area.

You run into interesting questions like is long Mag on a Charger really a Mag or could it be used as fore grip? I have seen people use it as a fore grip.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/05/atf-rescinds-prior-methods-to-measure-a-firearms-overall-length-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/
When I did the CC build it was legal, (more than likely a Grandfather Clause not included), given my options, I can go back to stock, non impactful. Copper Custom must be confused too, as they still sell them. Regarding using an extended Mag as a grip, a good way to screw up your feed. The Bi-Pod folded back makes an ideal fore grip. Just keep the gun legal, and safe shooting.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts