Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
this is good reading on the issue of the fore grip discussed earlier and the impact of over all length measurements.

Personally I have rifles and I have pistols and have never felt a need to have something in the grey area.

You run into interesting questions like is long Mag on a Charger really a Mag or could it be used as fore grip? I have seen people use it as a fore grip.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2019/07/05/atf-rescinds-prior-methods-to-measure-a-firearms-overall-length-when-equipped-with-a-stabilizing-brace/
Just as the brace is a brace and not a stock, the magazine is a magazine. Just because some people use the brace as a stock doesn't mean it's a stock. If someone grips the magazine it's still a magazine. People grip the mag and mag well on their AR pistols all the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
yep:

and it comes with a 'bipod' to be mounted on the forward bottom half of the 'pistol'

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico
"Ruger has made it easy for those looking to add a brace to one of their 22 Charger pistols, by including a rear-mounted rail. " Official entry by their very words, not sure what the Rail Mount means ??? Other than a quick release system tube or composite set up.....

·
Registered
279 Posts
I guess I have to wonder where to look for braces and if a folding brace can be attached to the factory stock with the rail for attaching a brace.

If you watch plinkster22's latest video he recently did on the Charger, you can buy a really neat aftermarket stock with a folding brace, but it would make more sense cost wise if you could find and install a folding brace onto the factory stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
From what I read, due to a recent change in the law, a brace on a hand gun is now illegal. Why? By BATFE definition, a hand gun must be capable of being operated with one hand. A brace makes it a 2-handed gun, which is no longer considered a handgun, rather it is a rifle with an illegal short barrel.
Old thread I know, but I’ve always thought the rage on these pistols, which seem to me to be no more than chopped down AR’s making them SBR’s. The fact that putting a stock that is now called a “brace” on one to me really makes them an SBR. The term is just a loophole in the law that will probably be closed someday, making thousands who own them legally now into felons owning an illegal short barrel rifle. Where did you read this?

·
Registered
228 Posts
The fact that putting a stock that is now called a “brace” on one to me really makes them an SBR. The term is just a loophole in the law that will probably be closed someday, making thousands who own them legally now into felons owning an illegal short barrel rifle. Where did you read this?
they are legal, the adapters are openly sold by several manufactures, the braces are sold by numerous manufacturers, they are available for Rugers, CZs, and other pistol manufacturers, and i can buy them in any local gun shop...

and now Ruger has introduced a 'brace-ready' Charger pistol...

where are people getting the idea that these are somehow illegal? i just don't understand...

and as far as something that is legal today being illegal tomorrow, well that for government to decide? i guess Ruger's internally suppressed barrel and external rimfire suppressor could be made illegal as well...

EDIT: and btw, the Charger is a 'pistol,' not a rifle, according to the receiver, manufacturer, etc... i would not put its barrel on a 10/22 receiver, nor a 10/22 barrel on its receiver...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pistol braces are "legal" just like bumpstocks were "legal". IE they were kosher (or at least escaped scrutiny) until one day a jackwagon misused one and brought a bunch of negative press.

Then a government bureaucrat waves his hand and says, "Existing law/regulation says those are illegal and really were the whole time despite our complete lack of enforcement up until this point. From here on out all must be destroyed or turned in and no grandfathering will exist nor any compensation be given for those deprived of their property"

That's the sort of legal grey area that pistol braces occupy, IMO.

Frankly I don't blame anyone for giving these "pistols" side eye. Just like the argument was used that bumpstocks simulate/recreate a fully automatic weapon I believe that an argument will be made that these pistols simulate/recreate a short barreled rifle - and despite the fact that they were legally manufactured and legally purchased will be found to have been impermissible all along.

Braced pistols are an example of something that looks like a duck, quacks like a duck but for some reason we're supposed to believe it isn't a duck.

These brace manufacturers keep playing 'just the tip' with the ATF and it's only a matter of time before they slap us down and make us put on a rubber, IMO

·
Registered
228 Posts
and yet, binary triggers are legal today as well... as well as AR pistols w/braces...

the Charger is a rimfire pistol, just like Ruger's own centerfire pistol models 8570, 8571, 8572, and 8573:

no difference in my opinion, aside from chambering...

and why does Ruger have threaded barrels on its 10/22s, Chargers, MK IVs, SR22s, AR pistols, etc.?

for suppressors of course! (although i think compensators for MK-series are used in competition - dunno, as i don't shoot competitively)

these accessories - including braces - add fun, enjoyment, and ease of use...

willie
on the Gulf of Mexico

·
Registered
254 Posts
Old thread I know, but I’ve always thought the rage on these pistols, which seem to me to be no more than chopped down AR’s making them SBR’s. The fact that putting a stock that is now called a “brace” on one to me really makes them an SBR. The term is just a loophole in the law that will probably be closed someday, making thousands who own them legally now into felons owning an illegal short barrel rifle. Where did you read this?
It's not a "loophole". It's following the law to the letter and getting letters from the BAFTE to clarify the law.

Their is a certain political group who want to make ALL gun owners felons. Should we give up our guns to avoid this?

·
Registered
153 Posts
ATF 'opinion' letters quite frankly cloud up the waters as much as they add any clarity.

They'll write an opinion telling you that putting a brace on a "pistol" is legal and that shouldering it isn't doesn't make it a defacto SBR - but they'll leave open the wishy washy possibility that the 'pistol' could actually be a rifle based on the totality of the circumstances around it's use.

My money says that if you shoulder a 'pistol' with a stock-like "brace" during the commission of a crime, especially after removing it from concealment, there is a non-zero chance you also catch a charge for using/owning/manufacturing an illegal SBR on top of whatever other charges you earned.

·
Registered
234 Posts
ATF 'opinion' letters quite frankly cloud up the waters as much as they add any clarity.

They'll write an opinion telling you that putting a brace on a "pistol" is legal and that shouldering it isn't doesn't make it a defacto SBR - but they'll leave open the wishy washy possibility that the 'pistol' could actually be a rifle based on the totality of the circumstances around it's use.

My money says that if you shoulder a 'pistol' with a stock-like "brace" during the commission of a crime, especially after removing it from concealment, there is a non-zero chance you also catch a charge for using/owning/manufacturing an illegal SBR on top of whatever other charges you earned.
A fair warning to those of us considering committing a Felony. I'm sure this will sort itself out.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Once the definition is the Law I would assume the Forum will notify one way or the other. I certainly respect this Forum's call when that happens, the moderators on this sight are knowledgeable, and only trying to keep this firearm Legal....Not an enviable task, to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Kak Shockwave brace using a Farrow Tech buffer tube adapter. Because of the lack of backup iron sights (or any sights) I also installed a Leapers UTG 26 slot scout rail, MBUIS and a Bushness TRS-25 red dot.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I would look at the Charger over the years and say to myself, "what would I do with a gun like that?"
I'm in the same boat...what a cool little gun...but what would I need or want one for...???
Then I saw one with a brace and went "WOW...now I want one!"

21 - 40 of 41 Posts