Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever seen anything remotely close to this? The only time I’ve seen a deer in this condition it was hangin from a tree. If someone told me this was possible I’d have to call bull-chit. If you have a bizarre story let’s hear it.

·
Super Moderator
4,928 Posts
I’ve seen deer with 3 legs, I have seen them hurt from car collisions and poorly placed shots out in the woods, but never with that level of injury. The will to survive is amazing. That deer is “acting” fairly normal with his skin about falling off in places. As you said, without proof, I don’t know if I would believe it. Not sure the area, but first reaction is vehicle incident.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I was driving down a dirt road at the end of Ohio’s deer gun season when I noticed a group of about 5 does running in the woods toward the road, I braked hard so they could run across.

Right away I noticed the last doe because her front leg was dangling down, as she passed in front of me I could see all that was holding her leg on at the knee was a strip of skin.

My guess someone tried a full frontal shot and was low right breaking her knee with slug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I’ve seen deer with 3 legs, I have seen them hurt from car collisions and poorly placed shots out in the woods, but never with that level of injury. The will to survive is amazing. That deer is “acting” fairly normal with his skin about falling off in places. As you said, without proof, I don’t know if I would believe it. Not sure the area, but first reaction is vehicle incident.
Huh? Do you reconstruct accident scenes?

·
Registered
11,198 Posts
I cannot help but wonder what kind of dimwit would not put the godless camera down and put that suffering animal down humanely?
Even out of season, no ethical game officer would argue...
In defense of the owner of the video, i believe it was captured on a stationary trail camera ... that's why he/she didn't put the animal down ...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A few years ago when we were in the Keys the Key Deer were suffering an outbreak of 'New World Screw Worm' infestations. Pretty much any wound they got (like from when the bucks were sparring) would stay open as the worms infested it. There were some very sad looking deer and quite a few had to be put down despite their being protected but nothing we saw was nearly as extreme as that buck.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Has anyone here ever seen anything remotely close to this? The only time I’ve seen a deer in this condition it was hangin from a tree. If someone told me this was possible I’d have to call bull-chit. If you have a bizarre story let’s hear it.

I'm skeptical. I remember seeing this a while ago and found a few other videos of it on YouTube. When walking right to left, the tree in the background is on the right. When left to right, the tree is on the left. There may be some mirror imaging going on when posting video, but it seems fishy to me.

Ecoregion Organism Plant Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm skeptical. I remember seeing this a while ago and found a few other videos of it on YouTube. When walking right to left, the tree in the background is on the right. When left to right, the tree is on the left. There may be some mirror imaging going on when posting video, but it seems fishy to me.

View attachment 159716
That looks exactly like mirror imaging. I think some people do it to avoid violating copyrights. Just a guess. Copyright law isn't something I've looked into much.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I cannot help but wonder what kind of dimwit would not put the godless camera down and put that suffering animal down humanely?
Even out of season, no ethical game officer would argue...
Like @rmichael63 said, that was probably an unattended camera. With that being said, though, I don't like to see an animal suffer. I'll skip a shot if I don't feel like it will result in a quick kill, rather than causing undue prolonged misery. I believe in doing unto prey what I would want done unto me if our roles were reversed.

That poor creature should have been put down at the first opportunity. I hope that the local game wardens were made aware of that buck, so they could get him moved on to a better place.
A few years ago when we were in the Keys the Key Deer were suffering an outbreak of 'New World Screw Worm' infestations. Pretty much any wound they got (like from when the bucks were sparring) would stay open as the worms infested it. There were some very sad looking deer and quite a few had to be put down despite their being protected but nothing we saw was nearly as extreme as that buck.

Bruce
Some sort of infection was what I thought it looked like, too. It looks like a bunch of tissue went necrotic. How it didn't kill him is a true mystery.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If I was that deer, I'd go jump in front of a semi on the highway.

·
Registered
933 Posts
That's probably what caused the injury to start with
That buck doesn't appear to have the skeletal damage associated with a vehicle strike. The wound is confined only to the back, with no other trauma that would have come with a vehicle's initial hit. Usually, deer at least get broken or dislocated limbs, but that buck wasn't even limping.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd bet that this wasn't due to a vehicle.
I’m on the same page, deer get smoked by my house regularly. The speed limit is 40……that doesn’t mean people are doing 40, cuz they’re not, but I’ve never seen anything like that. Their legs, (not all of them) are usually busted up, one can only assume they died of internal injuries. Coming back from Texas I saw one hit by a semi down in Kenny’s neck of the woods, it didn’t fair to well……it basically blew up. Now that was a sight.

Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
47 Posts
Biggest deer I ever killed had a 6mm or 243 bullet jacket in one ham. It had been there so long there was a cartilage knot around it; it was a a brass color by the time I encountered it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts