Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually aim, but on a few occasions when something was moving too fast to take aim, I have taken a shot by just pointing at it and surprised myself by hitting sometimes. I was wondering if it would be good to practice some just point shooting.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Only on outdoor shooting....done it all my days...taught my boys to "throw" a shot by putting a 5 gal. plastic bucket on the bed with a t-shirt over the end and shooting a BB (CO2) pistol into it...by 8 or 9, all could from their side "throw" into that size target from 9 or 10 feet away...it's amazing how well our hands, eyes, and brains work together...I picked up a J-frame demo at the indoor range showroom here a few months ago that had Crimson Trace sights on a composite revolver and threw it from the hip-first "shot" hit the doorknob across the room...I didn't tell my 14-year-old it was anything but superior skill and training...he usually outshoots me...if you'd get a copy of Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner", Calvin-you'd have a lot of fun...he was a breath of Hell with a .357, and that book was the sum of my pistol/revolver training till Mas Ayoob came along...a quiet, sincere gentleman...I know, you didn't want to know THAT much about it...OOF syndrome acting up again...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the Info. I am interested in trying some of it. I will try to locate a book. I have shot a first shot at a armadillo that was digging and missed, and when he really took off, throw a second shot at him running and hit it. Thats what got me interested.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
With a little practice, you can hit a vacuum cleaner salesman at a full run...you only have to lead him a little...I never said that[}:)]

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can practice point shooting at home. Here is how:

1. With your gun unloaded or with snap caps, stare at your target with your gun at our side.

2. Close your eyes, then bring your gun up to where you think the target is.

3. Open your eyes and see how close your sights are on target. At this time adjust the gun so the sites are on target.

4. Repeat this and you will find that soon your gun will be on target because you are training your muscle memory to point where you are staring.

You don't even have to pull the trigger when you practice this.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I just about always point shoot snub nose revolvers. I keep a SP101 by my bed, and I have always used the point-n-shoot method with it.
I do this for many reasons; I might not have time to aim, and the sights might not be visible in the dark. While the newer revolvers have some sort of 'glowing' sights, most do not, and I don't want to rely on them working for me to hit my target. So I learn to point-n-shoot at silhouettes 15-20' away. Sure, I can hit a lot better if I aim, but I can hit center mass of a silhouette 20' away every shot when not using sights.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Another fun way to practice is to use wax bullets. If you have a revolver* around, take some fired cases and deprime them. Ream out the flash hole in the primer pocket so the cases don't back out on you. Mark the head of cases with indelible ink so they don't get mixed up with your good cases. Chamfer the case mouths so they are almost sharp. Prime the cases and press them in to a flat cake of candle making wax. At typical gun fight range, they shoot pretty good. Put up a back stop in the back yard, garage or basement and have fun! (Check your local laws of course.)

* An auto will work also, but in single shot mode only and cases won't eject.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Rman's way works best if the neighbors have some loose cats and you have tuna.....

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Rman and Maverick for the tips. Last night I sat in my Office and would shut my eyes and raise my gun and point at something on the wall across the room and when I opened them it would be right on most of the time. On my next trip to the Ranch, I'm going to try it. Think it would be fun. Will start on 8" paper target at 15 yds and work out to 25 yds.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's using your memory, Calvin...different skill...you're pointing where you remember an item to be....instead of pointing with a gun that is not in your plane of sight with the target...

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the Grandson to the Ranch this afternoon. He was shooting 4" clay targets with his .22 Bearcat. I had him let me shoot at one. I stepped off 10 steps and shot from the hip. Hit close the first two shots and hit it the third shot. I have never practiced with it. I think it would be fun to practice point shooting. I going to start practicing with my 22/45.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
If you can do it with a .22, you can do it with anything...good shooting!!! I don't hold with the second finger idea at all...will end in burned finger if revolver and I can't pull with my second finger and stay on target...too awkward...by the way, Ruby/Oswald was the only murder I've ever seen...I was watching live TV that day and saw it happen...will we ever know the truth?!

·
Registered
362 Posts
rman, what a great idea. I am going to make some wax bullet loads for my vaquero. Only practice quick draw with empty gun for fear of losing my knee cap.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I've gotten' pretty good at point shooting, since I'm too old to see the sights anymore! ;)

·
jlweems
278 Posts
There are several schools of thought on point shooting and several folks trying to build a name in the industry off it. I don't have any formal training in point/threat focused shooting per se, but on my good days on a combat course I can fly through it without ever being really cognizant of a detailed sight picture.

D.R. Middlebrooks has a book and some videos out there on the subject, but he's been so pushy on the matter that he turns off a lot of people. Michael Janich has published some on the technique as has Rob Pinkus (sp?)teaches courses in it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts