Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That "Old Beater" (P85) I JUST picked-up is not a MkII
I know you're expected to ship it back to Prescott and have it updated
I understand that the shipping and Mod are free .... but Ruger said there's a 4 - 6 week turnaround time
How dangerous IS a non MkII ?
Is the incident that lead-up to the Recall a "one off", or was there an "pandemic" at the time ? ! ?
I know there are a lot of "Old Model / 3 Screw" Single Actions out there, that haven't had THAT Mod done as of YET !
Anyway .... just askin' .... thoughts ?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Ship it, I would be surprised if it took longer than 10 business days ...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Car5
Yeah, I've read this, many times
Still not completely sold on having it done
But I am starting to lean in that direction ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like you got to pay for shipping to them ????????
That costs quite a bit and a free mag is not gonna cover it.
I'd call and corner the customer service about it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Not long ago I bought a MKII which had been through the recall. I don't know the history (Cabelas Gun Library) but it looks NIB, leading me to suspect that Ruger had also refurbished the gun. I'm not sure if they still go that route but it's something to consider.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you got to pay for shipping to them ????????
That costs quite a bit and a free mag is not gonna cover it.
I'd call and corner the customer service about it.
Yeah, that's one of my concern .... the cost to ME, for THEIR design error
Besides .... what does a P15/10 Mag fit anyway ? ? ?
So WHAT if I throw it into a USPS Small Flat Rate Box for $9.00 ?
THAT's HOW IT CAME TO ME FROM SCOTTSDALE when I bought it !
Anyhoosit, I'm still not convinced I REALLY need to do it
This Pistol has lasted THIS LONG, why should I think it'll # U ( I< -up now ?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
I'm pretty sure shipping is on them ...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure shipping is on them ...
Aaaaaint, wrong guess !
INFORMATION SHEET - THE RUGER P85 SAFETY MODIFICATION
"The safety modification consists of modifying the pistol internally to accept the new safety system, there is no alteration to the frame itself. It is installed at no charge at our factory. You pay only charges to ship the gun to us, we will pay the return shipping charges. Upon completion of the safety modification and the return of your pistol, we will include a P15/10 10-round magazine (a retail value of $29.40) at no charge to compensate you for your shipping charge"

What does the P15/10 10-round magazine fit anyway ?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Aaaaaint, wrong guess !
"The safety modification consists of modifying the pistol internally to accept the new safety system, there is no alteration to the frame itself. It is installed at no charge at our factory. You pay only charges to ship the gun to us, we will pay the return shipping charges. Upon completion of the safety modification and the return of your pistol, we will include a P15/10 10-round magazine (a retail value of $29.40) at no charge to compensate you for your shipping charge"

Bottom line is with the magazine (min $20 value) shipping is a wash for the owner ...

·
Registered
18 Posts
What they are trying to say is a P series 15 or 10 round magazine. 15 for the free states, 10 for Kommiefornia and the like. I bought My KP85 new in '92. No conversion done and shoots well to this day. Thousands upon thousands through it. Never one hiccup. My son has a MKII convert that shoots equally as well. Your call.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, still thinking it really isn't worth my cost to ship it
So as it turns-out, the p15 is the Old Style, P Series (P85 / 89) Magazine
The P15/15, is the 15 Round, and the P15/10 is the 10 Round Mag in the Series
So unless I can sell that new P15/10 for something even "close" to my cost to ship the P85 to Prescott, PLUS the cost to ship the Mag to its Buyer, I don't see any advantage to me
And NO .... Living in Utah, I have zero use for a 10 Round Mag for THIS Pistol !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aaaaaint, wrong guess !

Where is that language found?

Step 2 says that Ruger pays for shipping. Get the work done, it’s a safety recall, which is completely different from the OM retrofits.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What they are trying to say is a P series 15 or 10 round magazine. 15 for the free states, 10 for Kommiefornia and the like. I bought My KP85 new in '92. No conversion done and shoots well to this day. Thousands upon thousands through it. Never one hiccup. My son has a MKII convert that shoots equally as well. Your call.
accidental discharge while decocking/turning safety on.(safety is decocking also). Try not to shoot anybody.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that's interesting Nate ...
The Instruction Manual for Ruger P85 & P85 MkII INFORMATION SHEET - THE RUGER P85 SAFETY MODIFICATION (where I copied from)
But the Link you sent says different:
THE RUGER P85, Safety Warning and Recall Notice
"Step 1 - Contact us via email at [email protected] or 1-800-784-3701 and provide your name, address, the serial number of your pistol, telephone number and the best time to call.

Step 2 - We will verify that your pistol is eligible for the safety modification, and if so, will send you a packing container, detailed instructions and shipping label so you can send your pistol to us FREE of charge.

Step 3 - We will install the new safety modification in your P85™ and will return it to you FREE of charge.
We recognize that this is an inconvenience so, as a thank you, we will include an extra magazine at no charge to you when we return the pistol. "
HUH .... this says; FREE (shipping) FREE (Mod), FREE (return shipping), and FREE (Magazine to say thanks)
The one above that says; You pay, free, we pay and we comp the Mag to reimburse you ! ... how very sweet !

If the info from "THE RUGER P85, Safety Warning and Recall Notice" is truly the case, then yeah, I'd consider shipping it into Ruger
But if not, and considering how long THIS Pistol has gone without the Mod, and how the 85 was used (I'm guessing, as a Range Gun) I don't feel the urgency, or the advantage
I do find it odd though; not a single "I haven't sent mine in either" Post from other P85 Owner's here .... not one
Or, no-one has Posted about what they can remember about the original incident that led-up to the Recall in the first place
REALLY .... How common WAS the issue, or was there just the one, and Ruger was just covering their 6
"WACKO"-Pedia says: " .... after one incident with the firing pin .... "

Unlike this: A Friend of mine wrecked His Pete
The Steering Box Shaft broke
It sheared clean-off between the Box and the Steering Arm
But Peterbilt didn't recall every Pete, built that year, using the model Steering Box .... they could have .... maybe SHOULD have
Turns-out, there was a flaw in the original casting for THAT Part
Right in the Wrong Spot .... on the Shaft between the Box and the Steering Arm
There was a bubble, inside the Shaft, about the size of a Dime

Then of course, there was FORD, and their exploding Pintos and the more infamous "Exploding" Explorers
In both cases, there needed to be a perfect hit to the Backend, that would cause their Fuel Tanks to be shoved forward, hitting just the right Bolt, to cause the explosion
It all came down to poor engineering .... I think Ford's still paying for that one !
SO ....
Was this issue with the 85 truly within the design, or was there just the one, or an entire batch of bad Firing Pins ?
" .... if the firing pin is broken in a particular way .... "
YES .... a redesign, followed by a recall "solved" the issue
Or did they simply have the one or did they run-out of that batch of bad Firing Pins and really didn't need to recall and mod the whole Line ?
Just Food for Thought

SORRY FOR THE LONG AND CONVOLUTED RANT !

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They should also include brand new pistol of your choice! :)
Actually; that's a story involving my "Super" SP-101 :cool:

What if you have nightmares about .... ?
Been there, done that
But THAT story involves a Tank Load of Liquid Sugar ! 😞

No really, I'll call Ruger tomorrow and get the straight scoop
There's enough here to get THEM to cover the whole nut !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts