Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
It is still listed as a current model on Rugers web site.

Like many Ruger models, it may be in very short supply - demand is extremely high for Ruger firearms and production has had to race all year to try to keep up.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ruger has put a lot of their revolvers on the back burner, it was impossible to find a new Redhawk for a while. I suspect they're making "batches" of the .327 SP's and I don't think these guns are as in demand as stuff like LCP's and LC9's.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Ruger has put a lot of their revolvers on the back burner, it was impossible to find a new Redhawk for a while. I suspect they're making "batches" of the .327 SP's and I don't think these guns are as in demand as stuff like LCP's and LC9's.
Actually, that's not exactly true. Ruger has two manufacturing locations, Prescott, AZ and Newport, NH. Prescott, AZ manufacters the semi automatics and I "think" everything else is made in NH. I only know about this from talking to a Ruger rep last year and we discussed the SR1911 backlog. But I know their efforts are separated so revolvers wouldn't be put on the back burner because of their semi automatics.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My first thought is, "I don't believe anything the person behind the counter tells me". They will tell you anything to get you to buy a gun they have in stock/readily available to order or will make a higher profit on. One told me the revolvers were on the back burner because of the need for more polymer semi autos. He looked at me like I was from Mars when I asked why would that be when they are made in different plants far across the US from each other. :cool:
I have seen it time and time again from different LGSs.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You have to be wary of what gun shops tell you. I was looking at a 4" Security 6 that was going for about 500.00. When I asked why it was so much, one person said that it had no signs of wear on the cylinder or blueing. The nex one told me that is was because it was a Bi-Centennial model. The last one told me that it was because ther were only a few blue models made and most were stainless. I let it sit and somebody eventually bought it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The Ruger rep and a contact in the New Hampshire factory both told me the same story. Ruger has become quite responsive to current demand in the marketplace. I was looking for a Redhawk a couple of years back and my fantastic dealer (Capras Sports in Minnesota) finagled a special order for my Redhawk. The called this program the "Pony Express" where they assemble a gun for a valued customer or for a promotional opportunity. The rep explained how the production runs for this or that gun occur in response to the orders from distributors. The distributors are the mechanism for our "demand" being heard by the manufacturer. Of course, the higher minded and uncommon wheelgunner is a minority customer in these days of firepower and zombies, which means the distributors are hearing fewer requests for the revolvers. When there are the orders, they run with them. Lately, there seems to be one big run of Redhawks each year, usually in the early weeks of the new year. I bet the production of SP101s dwarfs the production of the venerable Redhawk, but is organized the same way.
You can't blame the gun makers for this. They are cutting the hay when its ripe. This market could turn on a dime (time for conspiratorial comment) and the opportunity lost.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bet the production of SP101s dwarfs the production of the venerable Redhawk,
I'll bet that is, a good bet :)

Interesting thread though. My bet is the SP101's in .357 are way more popular than the .327. I'd also lay a pile of cash down on the bet it wasn't discontinued.

I frequent a couple shops in my sales region, and drop in when I go past. SP101's of any flavor rarely sit in the case very long, and one shop with a smaller inventory doesn't even bother putting them in the display counter. Fans ask if they have them in stock at a rate that makes putting them out, pointless. .327's never make it even a week when I have seen them out, so they may be scarce, but there's no shortage of buyers either.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
The idea of production runs of revolvers makes sense.
I wanted a Single Ten and all of the small local gun shops were out of them and their suppliers (such as Davidsons) were at zero stock as well.
Around this same time Ruger announced the Single Nine 22 magnum. I'm thinking their production line was occupied producing the new gun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've found the info you get at a gun shop can be very hit and miss. I've had guys at the local shop to me say they don't keep a lot of revolvers because they "don't sell".
Yet every time you order a revolver unless it's rarely in stock, they are sold and they have a waiting list. I've seen used ones that are in my opinion overpriced go within 1-2 weeks. And seeing semi's sit there for months.

Never heard of a waiting list for a Glock. But I've seen waiting lists for SR1911's.

I think the industry and it's distributors are very bad at relaying information to it's retailers.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've found the info you get at a gun shop can be very hit and miss. I've had guys at the local shop to me say they don't keep a lot of revolvers because they "don't sell".
Yet every time you order a revolver unless it's rarely in stock, they are sold and they have a waiting list. I've seen used ones that are in my opinion overpriced go within 1-2 weeks. And seeing semi's sit there for months.

Never heard of a waiting list for a Glock. But I've seen waiting lists for SR1911's.

I think the industry and it's distributors are very bad at relaying information to it's retailers.
Good user revolvers don't last long in my LGS. They got Ruger S/S Six in on Friday PM and it was gone before 12n on Saturday. Around here good used guns don't sit very long. The usual in less than 2-3 days. The LGS that I work at usually just won't take in junk - Doesn't do anybody any favors. Unless it's a hot product with a waiting list (ie: SR1911) the turn over is much slower.

I guess the stuff in current production doesn't stir the buying lust like nice discontinued older stuff. I mean, what would you consider: a really nice Speed Six or a butt ugly Glock that you can pick up anytime?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I decided I wanted one last Monday. The only two in town were both used in good condition at $465+tax. I found one online NIB at $489+25 for delivery. Ordered it and it made it to my ffl yesterday. Should have it tomorrow. Wasn't too difficult to find.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The response below is what I got from Ruger when I emailed them asking if Ruger had discontinued the SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum for all time.
If anyone wants one they might better start looking now instead of later.

"The discontinuation of this model was completely a Marketing decision. Unfortunately, we have no information on the next production run of this model. Thank you for your email."

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms

1 - 20 of 49 Posts