Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the impression that Ruger has worked out the bugs on this gun. It seems not to long ago we were hearing of problems people were having.

Now people are raving over them at other forums. Did Ruger hear the complaints and fix the problems?

Were the problems just a fluke?

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Or maybe people are reading the user manual? Most issues were a result of dry firing without a magazine inserted.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
only negatives I have heard about is the factory 8rd mags. Still have to get some place to try a 345 out.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've used the factory 8-rounds (8 of them) in 2 P97s and one P90 over the past 6 years and no problems...???

·
Registered
175 Posts
I owned one , never had one problem , very accurate.
The only & i mean only reason i sold it was my brother gave me a deal i could not pass up on a sig gsr.only had 650 rds thru it for $650.00 of course he picked up a very nice wilson.
i still own plenty of rugers & will continue to do so.;)
SL.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I've known guys who had the Sig 220-it's the only .45 I wanted more than a Ruger-but they offered DAO in the catalog and when I asked-they said they don't ship any DAO's-you have to buy the standard de-cocker and send it back to have it DAO'ed-nope. I've never heard of a Sig malfunctioning-they're as reliable as Rugers-just a bit strange to deal with the factory...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I've heard of the mag problems with the P345. There's been some that've had the slide hang up on the follower. I had this happen with a Mec-Gar 8rd mag in my Colt 1911 and it nicked my feedramp polish job, also destroying the follower. Any such malfunction can be really irritating, especially when it's a pistol you use for defence.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had an early KP345PR--one without the "do not dry fire without a magazine" warning in the owners manual.
I put more than 500 rounds through it without a single failure to feed and only two failures to fire*. Like most Rugers, it always shot better than I can.

However (there's always a "however" isn't there?), I ended up selling it because I didn't like:
1. The very small movement of the decock/safety lever required to disable the action.
2. The badly (in my opinion) understrength decock/safety lever return spring.
3. Lack of a positive mechanical detent to hold the decock/safety lever in the off (fire) position.
4. The very fragile magazine safety mechanism. I could have "cleaned the slide" (removed the magazine safety), but I never got around to it.
5. The useless (but harmless) key lock mechanism.

*In both of the failure to fire instances, my handling of the pistol caused the decock/safety lever to move down slightly--just enough to disable the firing mechanism. Flicking the lever back up instantly restored the pistol to ready to fire condition. This vulnerability may have been unique to my P345, but I was very disconcerted by it.

The combination of all of the above did not provide the level of confidence that I need in a "serious business" pistol.

The current production P345DC (decocker) pistol would be okay as a defensive firearm providing the magazine safety is removed. As a large caliber plinker, any of the P345 models would be fine out of the box.

About twenty minutes ago I ordered a new P90DC from Davidson's as my replacement for the P345. I had considered getting a KP345DC, but decided that I would just be happier with the P90.

The experiences and preferences of others may differ. I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am a very picky person, and I can find no faults in my P345. I do wish there was a .22 conversion kit with a floating chamber ala Colt Ace.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm extremely picky as well, and for a box stock, single stack .45ACP pistol IMO it is one of the best. It's an inexpensive pistol that can perform on par with the best of 'em. I'm also with the camp that hates the internal lock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts