Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's had the effect of making me change my primary carry gun from a Taurus 85CH .38 (with 125 grain +Ps) to my Ruger Sp101 3 1/16" .357, loaded with 125 grain Magnum JHPs.

I don't expect to ever have to use it, particularly to defend myself or others from a VT like scenario. But, on the off chance I ever do, I want a gun and load that's going to put the goblin down NOW. I feel that the Sp101 with the 125 grain Mags better equip me to do this.

Has the VT horror caused you to change your carry gun or habits?

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Nope-that Taurus'd be a great backup for your SP-same speedloader or speed strips would feed both...if a civilian gets into it...ain't no backup onda radio....better be in your belt....

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
No, I have carried either a P89 or P90 for several years now and have no intention of changing. I have toyed with the idea of getting a NAA Mini Revolver for those times when anything else is just too much, but not because of this episode.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Tim, it's good that you used toy in the same sentence as Mini Revolver-after having chosen two of the best...you'd have no confidence in the Mini...and could as easily carry an SP or your other auto...OOF's on the loose....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Tweek-that speaks to range time...ability to make head shots at 10-15 yards negates Kevlar's power...I wasn't taught to shoot center mass and I maintain a .22LR in the head's better than a .44 Mag to the vest...and entirely doable...a 2" .38 is not my first choice, but it will do that shot...with practice...and a full-sized .45 with ease...most of us don't need to rush out and buy a different gun but get real cozy and comfy with the ones we carry now....lowest shot I'd aim for is mid-point between collar bones...

·
Registered
346 Posts
I live in IL :(. Unless I want to become a felon I can't carry a gun :(. Just like the VT campus, IL is an unarmed victim state :(.

J[V]e

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I am drilling at the range now to shoot 2 center of mass and 1 head. Recent events indicate center of mass may not be enough any more...[^]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only problem I have with the SP is a practice problem. I can't afford to shoot 100 percent Magnum loads in it for practice (though I do shoot enough of them to be proficient with them), and, because its sights are graduated for Mags, the regualar .38s hit way low.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm saving my pennies now for a GLOCK 27, to supersede both the Taurus and the SP as my regular carry gun (the SP I really bought to use as a backpocket gun while fishing or "woodsbumming").

Maybe in the interim Ruger will bring out a poly-framed subcompact so my choice will be a bit harder :D.

·
Registered
346 Posts
quote:Maybe in the interim Ruger will bring out a poly-framed subcompact so my choice will be a bit harder
bestseller92, what color of blue are you looking for, I mean like don't hold your breath about this type of Ruger.

Considering how many models Ruger is discontinuing I'd be surprised if we ever see anything new from them again.

Joe

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by J Miller

quote:Maybe in the interim Ruger will bring out a poly-framed subcompact so my choice will be a bit harder
bestseller92, what color of blue are you looking for, I mean like don't hold your breath about this type of Ruger.

Considering how many models Ruger is discontinuing I'd be surprised if we ever see anything new from them again.

Joe
Actually, I hear steady rumblings about a Ruger 1911.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

I'm going to say this as I believe no matter what I do.... God destined my beginning and He surely has destined my end. So you see no matter what I do, what I carry it aint gonna make a differance any how.

My answer is no, it has not changed my carry habits or what I carry when I do.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
JB, I tell them what brings it up that I'm ready to meet my Saviour anytime He calls, but if someone else comes for me he'd better bring a note...I ain't goin' out easy.....His is the final decision but I'm REAL proactive about livin'........anybody what carries what YOU do can't get much tougher than that, anyways...

·
Registered
346 Posts
bestseller92,

I would love to see Ruger make a 1911 type. It would be interesting for sure.

Joe

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nope!! Most days gonna keep carrying the P97. A model 10 Smiff or the little Taurus 85 on certain occasions but the .45 is my go to gun.
Baker

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I carried an SP101 w/357 mag and a .380 in the car, a month or two before the VT incident, I changed to a subcompact 1911 .45. While the VT incident didn't change what I carry, it has reinforced my decision to carry a heavier load.

I have always argued with the wife why I choose to carry. Every time she sees me stuffing the pistol in my clothes, she always says something about it. My usual reply was along the lines of "Crime doesn't make an appointment". After the VT incident, I said to her while pointing to the news blurb on TV, "That's why I carry! I am not going to be a victim without a fight!". She hasn't said anything about it since, so I think something might of clicked in her head?

-Keith

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Now if you can get your wife to go with you to the Range! I think Rick has about got his Wife converted. Maybe if she realized that guns are fun to shoot without having to shoot somebody with them, she might go with you.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
She will go with me if we plan a day to "practice the home defense guns", as she understands the need to have one in your home and why you need to learn to shoot it. She just doesn't understand why I need to carry one when "we have police officers for that".

Her ex-husband is a Police Officer, so maybe I should say "I carry because we have Police Officers like your ex-husband protecting us." LOL.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.