Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Previous owner was a competition shooter. This happens to be a first year Old Army WITH the brass SBH Dragoon grip frame. That cheap plastic has got to go...

As you can see, it is humid here. NOTHING keeps the gun from flash surface corrosion. Not even popping off the grip scales and storing the gun soggy with oil. It gets dried, it flashes. So a cut down silver or brass coin is out for the same reason.

Will ivory work? My house was built in 1840, we keep finding corset ribbing in the attic.

Sight could stand to be a bit taller as well. It shoots high with conicals. Rear elevation is maxed out, as purchased years ago. Cylinder bores deepened, it runs heavy loads of Fffg.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Get some Renaissance wax. It isn't cheap, but it is what museums use to preserve their treasures. Learned this from the curator of the Arms & Armor collection at the Art Institute in Chicago.

Clean/degrease it well, warm it up with a hair drier or heat gun and wipe on the wax (it needs to be warm enough that the wax melts). When it cools down, rub everything down with another thin layer of wax.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
SeaBee133, I also have a brass grip frame Old Army (1973 vintage). Mine is in new condition and is stored in a felt lined wood presentation case …. probably the worst way to store a gun. I took the grip frame off and polished it with a muslin buffing wheel and 500 grit compound … it shined like crazy. Afterwards, I reassembled the gun then did exactly what Eastman recommended and gave the whole gun a good waxing. The wax on the brass grip frame helps a lot but it will still discolor in time. I can deal with some patina. The bluing looks great and is well protected by Renaissance wax.

Here's my Old Army:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts