Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I took my new S&W 642 to the gunsmith for a trigger job, they had a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge for sale. It is an older model (I didn't ask how old) but it is all metal and real wood. It has been fully restored by them inside and out. The only minor issues are they used the dull, matt finish bluing instead of the nice shiny type, but that's not a deal breaker for me.

The price is $400, but the proprietor told me to make him an offer, so I can get it cheaper. Plus, I can put it on "layaway" and make payments. It is for the gun only, no box, manual, etc. but they will give me a case.

However, I can get a brand new Mossberg with accessories or a new 870 with box and all the papers for that price or less, but I understand the older models are probably made better. I've never owned a pump before, but want a respectable looking one I can use for both hunting and HD (with a change of barrel).

I'm going back to pick up my S&W 642 tomorrow, and want your advice before I decide to go for it or not.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You can get a new shiny wingmaster for around $700 and most used one's will run $350-$400. You aren't getting a great deal, and you aren't getting cheated. BTW, the Remington wingmaster is my favorite pump shotgun. I have owned several in the past, and I think two are in my future. Good Luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an older 870 wingmaster and I like it a lot. Only drawback is that it fires 2&3/4 inch shells only. If you like the Wingmaster, make the guy an offer and see what he says. I see a lot of 870's for sale in the $300 vicinity.

·
Registered
342 Posts
not a deal. period.
ask him if it was refinished or restored. restored means all new parts. refinished means a paint job.

·
Registered
17,830 Posts
I think you could do better for around the same price.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Have to agree with the above as to the gun in question. Would need more specifics as to what has been done to the gun and would also need to know a little background on the gun. For instance, what was it before they started on it? Also find it a bit curious that they chose to use a matte finish on a Wingmaster. The SPs had that finish, but a traditional Wingmaster was done in blue. If nothing else, be darn sure it says Wingmaster on the receiver.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lot of questions here, is it a Wingmaster or an Express, 2.75" chamber or 3", year of manufacture. Sometimes matte blueing is used as the finish had some minor pitting, sometimes for waterfowl or turkey hunters. Does it have choke tubes? At 400 I myself would pass.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Have to agree with the above as to the gun in question. Would need more specifics as to what has been done to the gun and would also need to know a little background on the gun. For instance, what was it before they started on it? Also find it a bit curious that they chose to use a matte finish on a Wingmaster. The SPs had that finish, but a traditional Wingmaster was done in blue. If nothing else, be darn sure it says Wingmaster on the receiver.
Interesting contrast in responses... the guys at The Firing Line were all telling me to go for it, most here are the opposite
opinion. :confused:

Some info on the Wingmaster; as I mentioned before, it was restored inside and out by a qualified Gunsmith at Norton Firearms (I personally take that to mean more then just a finishing job...) Everything appears to work fine and the slide racks as smooth as butter ( I'm told the new ones don't do that). I found out it was manufactured in the 1970's according to the serial number (assuming that is the original barrel).

I don't think it's a bad gun if one can get it for $325-$350. However, I'm going to pass because of the matte finish and because I think I could find a nicer looking one elsewhere. If I'm going to buy a nice shotgun like the Wingmaster, then I want it to be NICE...with the quality shiny bluing. The finish they put on there is the type a tactical shotgun would have, not appropriate for that type of firearm.

Thanks for all your advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.