Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker has informed that since I didnt clean my barrel after the first 25 rounds, that I have ruined my new 10-22. Is this true? Ive put over 200 rounds through it the first day. It seemed to work fine. He says I need to "break in the barrel by shooting 20-25 rounds and clean it, then repeat for four to five times to break in the barrel correctly."
Is this true? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Clean your barrel and continue shooting. It'll be fine and should last you a lifetime.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
A co-worker has informed that since I didnt clean my barrel after the first 25 rounds, that I have ruined my new 10-22. Is this true? Ive put over 200 rounds through it the first day. It seemed to work fine. He says I need to "break in the barrel by shooting 20-25 rounds and clean it, then repeat for four to five times to break in the barrel correctly."
Some claim that to properly "break in a rifle barrel" you have to clean after EACH of the first 25 shots.

I was at a range this summer. There was a guy doing exactly that with his new AR15. I broke mine in the same day with 100 rounds and then cleaned it. I was shooting in the lane next to him and didn't see any difference in accuracy.

Ask your co-worker if he cleaned his barrel after each shot for the first 25 shots. If not, then he ruined his rifle....

·
Banned
163 Posts
I'm 63 years old or will be in two weeks. You cannot shoot the barrel out of a lifetime of normal use. I'v known people who never clean the one in this truck rack. I'm sure that the experts will beat me up, just my life experience. I clean mine anyway, ex-GI.

Reb

·
Administrator
23,652 Posts
There are/will be people in your life willing to tell you how much you messed something up when they don't know what they are talking about. If what you have done will ruin the BBL then I suspect it just might be in your owners manual with instructions on how not to. I would ask him if he has ever owned a firearm because it doesn't sound like it. Some go thru elaborate break in procedures claiming it improves their accuracy (I have my doubts) but I have never heard anyone claim it ruins the BBL. Cleaning the firearm before you shoot it is a good idea as it gets the grease (better functionality) and potential minute manufacturing debris out of the action. Other than that enjoy your 10/22 as it will last a long lifetime of active shooting.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
There may be something to that with centerfire barrels shooting high velocity copper plated bullets, but I haven't seen any hard evidence to support this. Some custom barrel makers recommend this for their barrels and others do not.

On a 22 LR, though? No way. You're shooting soft lead bullets at much lower velocities. You won't "shoot out" a 22 barrel in a lifetime and you certainly won't ruin it. In fact, you're more likely to damage a 22 barrel from over cleaning, especially on a rifle like a 10/22 that you clean from the muzzle, by damaging the crown if you get sloppy with the cleaning rod.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen .22s that I doubt have ever been cleaned, probably just oiled when they gummed up enough to cause problems. They still shot fine, its not like you will be firing it in a 600yd benchrest competition. I shoot my .22s several times before I clean them.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,587 Posts
Some high end center fire rifle manufacturers recommend a break in procedure like cleaning it after every shot for five shots and then after every five shots for several cycles and then after every ten shots for several cycles. Unless you are a sniper shooting at extreme ranges, it likely won’t matter. If the instruction booklet doesn’t say break in the barrel or you void the warranty, I wouldn’t worry about breaking in the barrel.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
The owner's manual for my Marlin Model 60SB tubular magazine autoloading .22 rifle says cleaning the bore of the rifle is "unnecessary" under normal usage with modern ammunition. Recommends cleaning the bore only if it gets wet or dirty from sources other than normal shooting. I use it to keep the local red squirrel population thinned out and clean the bore and action probably once a year.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Shot my marlin model 60 for years without cleaning it. I've heard many people say that .22 rifles don't need to be cleaned at all. I do occasionally run a swab sprayed with CLP down my barrel now that I have the wisdom that comes with age. ;)

You did not ruin your gun.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
I'm sure your rifle is fine.
I bought a Henry 22 this year and there were no cleaning instructions like that for it.
I shot 180 rounds through it the first time out and when I ran some patches through the barrel they came out clean.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I do clean my 10/22, and all my other guns, when I'm done with a shooting session. All I've ever done with a new gun is to not get it hot for the first 100 or so rounds.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If that were true, Ruger would include it in the owners manual. Pure BS.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input. The day i got the 10-22 out I stopped on the way home and bought a gun cleaning kit. My son and I cleaned the 22 and the Mossberg 500 together. I always clean my guns after I've been out shooting. But I've never heard of a break in period. Thanks again!

·
Banned
402 Posts
There are times for special break in procedures, your situation is not one of these times.
Go with this and you will be fine
On a 22 LR, though? No way. You're shooting soft lead bullets at much lower velocities. You won't "shoot out" a 22 barrel in a lifetime and you certainly won't ruin it. In fact, you're more likely to damage a 22 barrel from over cleaning, especially on a rifle like a 10/22 that you clean from the muzzle, by damaging the crown if you get sloppy with the cleaning rod.
If and when your accuracy falls off make a couple of passes with a bore snake.
Keep the rod out of the muzzle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just bought an Ar15 and that's what they say to do. But that's a center fire and I still wonder about it. As some esle has said on 10/22 no way. If it was required Ruger would say so. Also get your self a bore snake for qwick clens at the range. I've got one for each cal I shoot. Doesn't replace A good clean kit. But for qwick cleans they're great. Go shoot your gun I bet it can shoot better them some us can get out it. Enjoy and don't worry
Ps welcome to the forum some great people here with lots of knowledge to share. Eg. North country Gal I think you could blind fold that lady and she could completely break down and reassemby a MK without a problem..

·
Registered
334 Posts
You did NOT ruin your barrel. Barrel break in is only required if you are a bench rest shooter firing higher power center fire ammunition. This is only required if you wish to print 0.05 MOA groups at 100 yards or better. In fact, the bench rest competitors also regularly change out their barrels after a few hundred rounds or so

Bench rest competition can get very pricey!

You are more likely to ruin your barrel from too aggressive cleaning than shooting.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.