Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing with guns since i was 10 years old.Now 75.I have never owned a gun that i didn't shoot.A few days ago i picked up an old model blackhawk 357 4 5/8" that i was told,was unfired.Previous owner stated he obtained it 20 something years ago from a friend who bought it new and never fired it.He stated that he also had never fired it.He admitted to cocking it and dry fireing it but never actually fireing it.There was a faint ring line around the cylinder and a flea bite nick on the ejector rod housing.Other than that,the gun was perfect.No box or paperwork.I considered trading it off because i didn't want to be the first to fire a 55 year old gun.There was no evidence of a burn mark on the end of the cylinder.That lasted for 3 days.This morning i grabbed 10 rds of 38 spl that i loaded probably 10 years ago set up a target and fired it.Even after cleaning,the cylinder end now shows signs of burn marks.I now believe that the gun probably was unfired until i got ahold of it.Shot so well i think i will keep it and keep on shooting.Can't hurt it now.Did i mess up?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Heck No ... no box , no papers that takes it out of super collectible category !

Shooter's shoot em' and collectors just look at em ... What's more enjoyable to you ...shooting or looking ?
I Agree ... CHOOT EM' ...
I was looking for a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 1970 but all the dealer had was one with a 6 1/2" barrel ... I bought it anyway (my avatar) and thought I would learn to love ...get used to the longer barrel ...I didn't , I would still love to have a 4 5/8" barrel Blackhawk ... My Advice , Keep It and shoot it !
Get a nice leather holster and gun belt and wear it to bar-B-ques and the range ...
Nothing sweeter than an unconverted old model Blackhawk ...Congratulations !
Gary

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Not a collector item. Just shoot it and enjoy it. None of my guns have 'papers' ... or boxes (well some boxes are stored away somewhere in case I need one for shipping or such). From box to holster or gun rug. Use 'em as Ruger intended :) .

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I dont shoot it I wont own it. If I were you I would just enjoy my new handgun and have fun.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The unfired gun sin. I’m guilty. Have 2. I guess I’ll recite some Hail Marys.

Here is one. Never a bullet has seen the bore.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

The other is a 1 of 200 commemorative Model 19 my dad received at his retirement. It hasn’t even been photographed yet.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts