Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many posts on the reaming of 45 colt throats. I am older and wear trifocals, so don't see the best. Not a real experienced shooter, so don't shoot the best. I do reload, and am reloading 255 gr MBC, SWC, over 7.5-8.0 Unique. Near as my calipers read, throats running about .4505-.451. Do I really need to ream them? I doubt that I could tell a difference in accuracy the way I shoot anyway. Just how important is this anyway? Apparently Ruger don't consider it a problem with tight throats to the average shooter or they would have made them bigger. Is it worth the expense to someone who shoots no better than I do? thx triker

·
Registered
942 Posts
Calipers will never give you an accurate reading on a hole. If you have a friend that works at a machine shop, ask him to use pin gages.

On a side note, I just used pin gages on my 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder trying to chase a problem. Mine came in a .451+ I will be reaming my 45 ACP cylinder to .452 to try and correct an issue I'm having with my ACP rounds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to add a note here, my measurements are from slugging and not just trying to measure inside diameter of the hole, although my calipers accuracy is still questionable, I'm sure. triker

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Every Ruger .45 Blackhawk I have dealt with, both Old and New Models, have had throats undersized as much as .447".

I had them all reamed to .4525" if for no other reason than I firmly believe stuffing .452" bullets thru .447" holes has to drastically increase the pressure, as well as contributing to barrel leading.

An eleven degree forcing cone reaming is a good idea as well.

JMHO of course.

:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Every Ruger .45 Blackhawk I have dealt with, both Old and New Models, have had throats undersized as much as .447".

I had them all reamed to .4525" if for no other reason than I firmly believe stuffing .452" bullets thru .447" holes has to drastically increase the pressure, as well as contributing to barrel leading.
I have had the same experience and have had all of mine reamed to .4525 mainly because I only shoot lead through these guns.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're shooting lead, you could get a .451 sizer (I use the one by Lee). This will get the bullets down close to optimal size for your throats. This might take care of leading and accuracy. Are you getting leading? Bullet hardness is also an issue to consider, especially if you're still getting leading.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
A very simple 'thumb' test is to take one of your .452 bullets and try to push into the throats (make sure thoats are squeaky clean). Should enter with finger pressure. If you feel you'd have to pound them in ... then the throats need reamed. Simple test. After reaming, all my cylinder throats pass this test.

Of course if you are getting no leading and accuracy is acceptable to you, then I wouldn't worry about it. Reaming never has 'hurt' accuracy. Either helps or things stay the same. My experience is in one of my guns it cut the group size in half. The other guns it noticeably helped.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a BH which is about 3 years old

I had a smith look at the throats and he saiid don't bother.

Shoots fine

I say if your BH shoots well

Don't bother

Snake

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A very simple 'thumb' test is to take one of your .452 bullets and try to push into the throats (make sure thoats are squeaky clean). Should enter with finger pressure. If you feel you'd have to pound them in ... then the throats need reamed. Simple test. After reaming, all my cylinder throats pass this test.

Of course if you are getting no leading and accuracy is acceptable to you, then I wouldn't worry about it. Reaming never has 'hurt' accuracy. Either helps or things stay the same. My experience is in one of my guns it cut the group size in half. The other guns it noticeably helped.

RC, I've had several throats that wouldn't even begin to accept a .451" jacketed bullet. To me, that says "pressure spike" if nothing else.

And you're right. I saw improvement even if not huge. It's worth it for the sake of consistancy.

:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I say if it aint broke dont fix it! I reamed my Old Vaquero and to tell the truth I couldnt tell enough difference to matter. My New Vaquero must have been luck of the draw or the manufacturing tolerances are just that much better, because it shoots great and so far never leads the barrel no matter what I shoot. Just cant beat that New Vaquero in 45 Colt its the best shooting handling gun I have ever owned.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have never changed mu cylinder throat and my 45 colt Blackhawk is 35 years old 75 k plus rounds 12 Ruger only loads and still4 inch at 100 yards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never changed mu cylinder throat and my 45 colt Blackhawk is 35 years old 75 k plus rounds 12 Ruger only loads and still4 inch at 100 yards.
Thats just more proof of how tough & durable Rugers are, Every time I buy something else besides a Ruger I always wind up wishing I had bought another Ruger.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I have never changed mu cylinder throat and my 45 colt Blackhawk is 35 years
You must have got the '1 of 1000' that turns out just right :) as they say.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I picked up a new blackhawk last year that is amazing with .451 230 grain LRN, a New Vaquero that I got 2 years ago is closer to .453 and I got an old Vaquero that had really needed reaming as 2 chambers had burrs and were very rough inside. Must be one of the reasons it had barely been shot. I dont mind, other than making my handloads specifically for each particular revolver that is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am surprised by this discussion about tight throats. With my Blackhawk 45 convertible, a .452 jacketed bullet can be easily slipped onto the throat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Never owned a Blackhawk that didn't need the throats cleaned up and I have 11 of them. It's real easy to do yourself, no need to take it to a gunsmith. Firelapping a barrel makes a huge difference also. When I get back to my office tomorrow, I'll post a link to a great thread on both of these subjects. It'll turn a 5 inch group gun into a tack driver.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts