Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I was six.
And made it to the end of the street. :confused:

· Registered
345 Posts
When I was three I wonderd away from the car with my Tonka Dump truck as my mother unloaded groceries. A neighborhood wide search with police and I was found hours later about a mile away in a local park about to cross ANOTHER major street....

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Did you change you mind or get caught?
Definitely got caught.
Had a case with a kitten's tail hanging out.
The kitten was asleep inside.

· Registered
655 Posts
I didn't run away from home, but I ran away from kindergarten. I was used to spending my days with my grandpa and grandma while mom and dad were at work. Grandpa would take me with him to do everything, feeding hogs, cattle, hunting, fishing, whatever he did, I did. When I went to Kindergarten in town, I didn't like that so well. My grandpa told my mom and dad that the teacher would have to keep a close eye on me or they would find me on the road headed home. They did. I don't think I made it out of town, but I was headed back to the farm.

· Registered
342 Posts
nope. never. when i was young, i was watched like a hawk.
when i was older, i wasnt stupid. my bed was soft.
at 17, i launched......to the navy i went.
my parents did a good job.
and i still go home when i can.
it was a good home but its missing my dad now. r.i.p.
and when i do go home, i sleep in my old room that still has my toys on the dresser and bb guns in the rack.
my mom loves to keep it that way for memories.

· Registered
157 Posts
Yep, I was 14, my two buddies and I made it to Florida from New York. We jumped on a Greyhound bus, and off we went. Long story short, we got caught after three days in Florida and our parents had to come get us. Funny thing is none of us got in any real trouble when we finally got home, I think our parents were just happy we were okay.

· Registered
2,593 Posts
I was like 5 or so and I got a few blocks before I got hungry. Times were different then so you didn't have to worry about gettng kidnapped.... :)

· Registered
461 Posts
Twice... Once when I was six, made it as far as the big rock just inside the tree line at the edge of the property . The other when I was 16, because of a girl, Got picked up by the cops in MD and broke up with her the next day. Lol #younganddumb

· Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
nope. never. when i was young, i was watched like a hawk.
when i was older, i wasnt stupid. my bed was soft.
at 17, i launched......to the navy i went.
my parents did a good job.
and i still go home when i can.
it was a good home but its missing my dad now. r.i.p.
and when i do go home, i sleep in my old room that still has my toys on the dresser and bb guns in the rack.
my mom loves to keep it that way for memories.
My mum still lives in the house I grew up in.
My old room is still the same colour.
My children sleep in there now when we visit.

· Registered
132 Posts
First Love!

I didn't exactly run away but when I was six (in the first grade), I met a beautiful girl and just followed her home when school was out. Eventually, the girl's mother got enough information out of me to call my parents to come and get me.

I often wonder what happened to that girl.........

· Registered
552 Posts
Yep, when I was eleven I rode my bike in the middle of the night 25 miles to my grandparents house. They didnt ask any questions, gave me a blanket and the couch. My parents soured up in the morning. I don't think I got in trouble, but they were concerned how far I rode in tbe middle of the night. I miss my grandparents. I could drink coffee there at a young age.

· Registered
2,096 Posts
I didn't run away, but I went for a 'walk-a-bout' at age 11. In those days it was our family practice to send me from L A to my Grandparents in Michigan for a month or so each summer. I was put on a train in L A, watched over by the train crew (Santa Fe had "Nurses" assigned to each passenger train who kept an eye on the traveling kids), then the Traveler's Aid Lady in Chicago would meet my train, and transfer me from the Dearborn Station to the LaSalle St station and put me on the right train (NY Central) for Detroit, where my grandparents would pick me up.

I did this adventure each year from age 8 (1950) to age 12 (1954) when I was no longer considered a 'child' by the RR.

Anyway in 1953, I was put on the train in L A, but I decided I wanted to see a bit more of Gallup New Mexico the next day when the train stopped there. So I left my bag on my seat (coach travel) and got off to see all the indian stuff in the station. Needless to say the train left without me. I spent the night in the station, un-noticed by anyone, ate some indian tacos for breakfast then turned myself in to the station agent...who by that time had been alerted to my missing status by the departed train crew.
They put me on the next day's train with a stern warning not to get off again til we got to Chicago...and the crew checked on me frequently.

Meantime my parents and grandparents were going nuts. The communication between the RR and my families at both ends was a bit fuzzy, untill I got off the train in Detroit in the personal custody of a RR Cop and handed over to my grandfather.

My memories of the incident remain clear. I sure ate better as a 'prisoner' of the train crew than I had been doing on my little meal tickets that came with my travel fees. In Chicago the Traveler's Aid lady who did my transfer acted like I was a prisoner being taken from one jail to another...she did everything but cuff me to keep me close during her transfer time.

My grandparents were a bit 'hot' when I finally arrived, but the summer went well, and by the time I got home my parents had settled down enough that I was allowed a trip the following year, but only after promising not to go wandering off the train at anytime.

In todays world..The RR would have been sued, The employee's involved...or not involved, would lose their job, and am sure I would have been classified as an emotional disturbed and abused child. Instead I had a great time and everytime we pass thru Gallup New Mexico I remember the tood old days !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.