Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reach out, be an ambassador, embody the philosophy safety is paramount and thank you, if you are already taking someone shooting. Post some pics if you have them, please. :thumbsup:

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,785 Posts
I went the other route, introducing some fans of ARs and polymer pistols to my kinds of guns: GP 100s and Blackhawks. We began with .38s and moved up to .357s.

Slow fire, long range offhand shots the Elmer-Keith way.

We had a lot of fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've made a summer out of doing that. I introduced a liberal teacher to the AR15, and she saw that it isn't the Devil she has been told. It's mostly been Ruger Mark IV and Marlin 60 in 22LR for me and my new shooters this summer however.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
My club conducts Women On Target and Kids On Target every year. We’ve been doing it for at least the last 10 years. Every year we have 40 to 70 new shooters at each event.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 15 yr. old granddaughter spent 4 days with us last week. We shot .22 handguns two different days. She really likes the Mark IV.
On another day, we had a .22 LR and .357 rifle outing. We used Henry lever action rifles and shot steel plates, full soda cans, and some randomly placed clay pigeons. She got a real bang out of shooting a full soda can with the .357 rifle.
She has her learners permit and she also spent a few hours be hind the wheel of my pick-up truck.
She has grown to like pick-up trucks and shooting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My club conducts Women On Target and Kids On Target every year. We’ve been doing it for at least the last 10 years. Every year we have 40 to 70 new shooters at each event.

We have a WOT event coming up on 22Sep here in Lima Ohio.

I absolutely love WOT.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 15 year old grand daughter lost her father to gunfire.

I felt it best to take her to the range sometime after that, to get back on the horse that threw her.

She did really well with the 77/22 and SP101, until some guy showed up with a hand cannon in the next lane.

"Grampa, I'm done now."
And we left.

She did well that day.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I take the Grandkids about every other week and they love shooting. The 12 year old likes Lever guns and the High Standard Longhorn Nine.
15 Year old goes Steel shooting with me and loves it. He likes Semis but loves the revolvers, especially the older ones. He is getting into single action and prefers Bolt action Rifles. In our Steel Shoots and club have open invite to Young people. We make sure they know safety and the gun they are shooting. Then let them compete and provide them with 1st, 2nd, 3rd, &4th awards in hopes of promoting the shooting sports.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 15 year old grand daughter lost her father to gunfire.

I felt it best to take her to the range sometime after that, to get back on the horse that threw her.

She did really well with the 77/22 and SP101, until some guy showed up with a hand cannon in the next lane.

"Grampa, I'm done now."
And we left.

She did well that day.

I'm deeply sorry for the loss.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
None recently but overthe years many of my 3 daughter's boyfriends andd some neighbors and a few people who reached out to the " gun guy" I have hd more trouble lately as there seem to be less and less non shooters and more shooters and those who think gn owners are barbarians. Maybe less so in other areas. But in northern Nj it is more common than even 5 years ago.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I can't say that I have.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Wish I could. Our range doesn't allow visitors anymore. We had a 'visitor' that sued the club (from what I understand, stepping in a gopher hole) and that was that.... When my kids come home (maybe once a year?) I can't take them out without buying a year's membership (it is a reduced rate, but still...) .

·
One Star
9,712 Posts
Can't say that I have.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
Both of my kids started shooting when they were 7. All five of my grandchildren (ages 14 to 22) have been shooting from a similar age.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The wife and I did a “date night” on Tuesday. We shot her AR and my Precision at gongs at 200m.

That was her first time shooting a rifle in about 2 years.

She just never wants to go. But she says she has fun every time though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The wife and I did a “date night” on Tuesday. We shot her AR and my Precision at gongs at 200m.

That was her first time shooting a rifle in about 2 years.

She just never wants to go. But she says she has fun every time though.
My wife had not shot in 5+ years and walked into our shooting shed, grabbed a FN 509T (RMR) with a can on it and hammered the center out of a 30' target 3 weeks ago, right before a shoulder surgery.

She's had a number of health issues that prevented her from shooting but I have assurances, she's ready to train again, with a rifle and that's really good stuff.

Keep offering, keep it fun and keep shooting.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My wife had not shot in 5+ years and walked into our shooting shed, grabbed a FN 509T (RMR) with a can on it and hammered the center out of a 30' target 3 weeks ago, right before a shoulder surgery.

She's had a number of health issues that prevented her from shooting but I have assurances, she's ready to train again, with a rifle and that's really good stuff.

Keep offering, keep it fun and keep shooting.
I’m getting a FNX Tac 45 in the next week, and my stamp for my Dead Air Ghost-M can should be here around the same time. I might have to do a copy of your guys’ outing with her. She’d probably like that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A Ruger morning spent with my 7 year old niece. She's the best at her age I've ever seen. She's completely mastered the MKII and is minute of paper plate out to 7 yards. She's also asking how to rapid fire now, I may need a second job...

We shot a Ruger MKII Competition Slabside and a Ruger PCC with a Rebel DFNDR 9mm suppressor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
12 year old niece was the guest this weekend and we had a very Ruger kind of day with the Ruger PCC and MKII being shot most of the day.

Here she is working a 5/5 rapid fire drill on the two left silhouettes.

She went 8/10 off the tripod.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts