Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a stupid question, my apologies in advance. But I'm new at much of this.

I am purchasing a handgun, have some firearm experience but plan on undergoing training and I enjoy practicing and plan on doing a lot of it. I have, at this point (the gun's not even in yet) given no thought to a concealed carry permit. That said...

If you were camping and/or fishing out in a remote area, well, let's take it one at a time. If you're camping, you can have a gun in your tent or camper I imagine, wouldn't it be similar to having one in your home? I'm thinking of protection against both two- and four-legged intruders meaning to do harm.

But then if you were fishing in an area with moose and bear or whatever, you could not have that gun in your fishing vest or something because it would then be concealed, right?

Again, I know these are probably basic, common sense issues for everyone here, I just want to differentiate between what's legal, what's appropriate and what's practiced.

Let me further clarify that I intend to become intimately familiar with the regulations of my state and other jurisdictions I visit, I just kind of wondered what people typically do. I would think that those who have a gun nearby at home, would also want it nearby when staying in a crappy motel in a bad area or outdoors in the middle of nowhere. Should I train and set the eventual goal to get a concealed carry permit to take some of the guessing out of the equation?

thank you.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
For legal issues on carrying firearms it's best to consult the property owners of where your hunting/fishing. They will know the laws of their property best. The laws on this vary from state to state. In Georgia & Alabama if you fishing on private property (aka someone's backyard) and your not within city limits, it's a free for all as long as you have the owners permission. Hunting requires a hunting & fishing permit regardless if its public or private property. Firearm carry is allowed on public areas provided you have a valid hunting & fishing permit.
As stated, these laws vary from state to state. For example, Maryland doesn't allow handguns on any occasion.

If firearm carry is legal where I camp/fish you better bet I'm packing. :)

Carrying a firearm in a wooded area is up to speculation weather your hunting or not, it's best to have a Hunting & Fishing permit anyways just in case that Game Warden tries to cite you for hunting.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith. I guess over time I will be able to quickly figure out where to look for various information and regulations, depending on whether I'm going to be on private property, or maybe camping in a park near a state fishery. I want and need to do the right thing, but when I think about traveling, staying in strange places, those are often opportunities where this handgun - bought and learned for protection as much as enjoyment - might provide much needed peace of mind.

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
more info:
"In Virginia, one may carry a handgun in the open with no license. Loaded handguns on the seat or dashboard in plain view while in a vehicle are fine. Carrying concealed in places that serve alcohol is prohibited, even licensed, but open carry there is allowed."

Sweet, just get a cowboy hat and a holster and your good to go! :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I said, I have not even picked up my gun yet. But I was under the assumption that, here in Virginia, it did come with a cowboy hat.

Thanks for that link, that is a good site.

Ed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts