Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here it is, guys!
Finally got the new little 10-22 carbine out of the "California gun penal system"! (Locking up guns in a shop for 10 days to control the gun!!!) Anyway, I finally got the new 10-22 out and now it's pouring down rain!
So I brought it home and started playing with it. (Which is more fun--shooting it, or fixin' it up?)

Now it's time for an observation--
When I was 10 and had a dog and a lot of empty land to wander in, the rain didn't bother me. A beat-up Stevens S.S. .22 and a dog was all I needed. Now, half a century later later, the wife has the dog, and the land is all settled with wanna-be ranchers with a horse on 1 acre-lots. The rain bothers me. So I stay at home fixin' it up to shoot straight. That irritates the wife, so that's more fun than shootin' in the rain.

Anyway, I found I can't see the open sights anymore. So I mounted one of the scopes I had laying around. And here's what I found out--might be useful for some other old geezers getting their first auto-loader .22.

Just like a kid, I got all excited about putting the scope rail on. But I can't see like a kid, so the back screw didn't thread exactly straight. I didn't notice it, but screwed it on down, wondering why Ruger couldn't produce screws that fit their holes right.

I found out that good Ruger steel cuts into good Ruger aluminum real well.

Anyway the screw holds really well, and a teensy bit of loctite will make sure it stays tight.

And another good suggestion--this one's good.
To take the original hole-filler screws out, you have to break the anodized finish. It was put on over the screws & all. So, holding the receiver very firmly, I got a high-quality screwdriver that fit the slot perfectly. Then, holding it very firmly and putting a light counter-clockwise torque on it, I tapped it with a light tack hammer straight on the butt of the driver handle. Three or four taps and the screws broke loose with no damage showing on any part.

But they did peel a little bit of aluminum dust & tiny shavings. And they left a little burr of anodized finish at the top. That burr is what caused the mis-alignment of the rail mounting screw. Something to watch out for. If an old guy starts a screw, watch it very closely to see that it is straight. If it isn't, then he might have to dress up the top of the hole VERY CAREFULLY with a round-nosed Dremel stone between his fingers--don't use the Dremel motor.

Now I find that my rings don't fit! So I gotta go buy some rings--which means another battle with the wife about money for the dog's new collar or my scope rings. I'm gonna enjoy that part--most fun I still get to have with her. And then I'm gonna go out in the rain and see if this 10-22 shoots.

Hope y'all enjoyed laughing at an old geezer's expense! You'll be there some day!
Angky.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang!
I just discovered I don't know how to bore-sight an auto-loader. Used to be I took the new bolt gun out to the field, looked down the bore at something a hundred yards out and put the scope on it. First shots always hit within a foot or so.
Now I guess I have to shoot at something within pistol range to see if I can hit it.

Don't know what else to do.
Angky.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Took that new 10/22 out to shoot. Couldn't figure out where it was shooting since I couldn't bore sight it. But after a few rounds, I happened to see a manzanita leaf disappear about 10 feet to the right of where I was aiming!

I got rid of a lot of Remington Vipers doing single-shot shoot-one, clean-one & crank the scope knobs.

I don't know how many rounds it takes to break in a Ruger 10/22, but so far I find it shooting pretty close on.

But how can a guy know for sure with the horrible trigger that gun has???!!! That is the worst trigger I've ever pulled, outside of what the Russians produced in WWII--Mosin. I guess I'll tear the trigger complex down and try to figure that one out. I think I can see from the schematics what needs polishing and what needs cutting.

So far, I like the gun (but not the trigger!). The barrel is really impressive. I thought I'd have to lap it, but it feels really good running a cleaning rod through it, and I don't see it peeling a lot of lead. Might be a good fun gun.

And, by the way, Max, thanks for the support in offering to let me ask questions. I'll sure do that as soon as I get stuck on some piece of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts