Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fantastic gun cannot say enough good things about except the handle always sits just a little to high in the pocket for my liking and am always worried about someone being able to see it if someone is in the back of me. None of the in the waist bands have been to my liking. The on the hip covered version holsters are huge! The wallet holsters are great but I wanted one like this but cant find anyone who makes it so they can't see butt of the gun. Any good ideas would be great because otherwise in the next hour at my local gun show if I find any good deals it might be going bye, bye for sig p238 or kahr p380 or kahr cw380.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
My LCR fits in some of my pockets but not all. I believe pocket carry is not the best way to carry that particular gun. I have an LCP on layaway for that reason. I will, however, carry my LCR 90% of the time in a Sourdough pancake from Simply Rugged at 4 o'clock with a cover garment over it. That's the most comfortable and safest position that I have found for my LCR. There's always compromise when carrying. If I'm going out in the summer, or want to carry in the office on a dress up day (shirt tucked) the LCP will be in my pocket.

·
Super Moderator
21,692 Posts
My S&W 642 measures 6 1/2" from the pocket holster to top of the grip. I only have one pair of pants that it isn't easily concealed in. If you have a firearm you like and want to pocket carry then the answer is pants with deeper pockets. With me cargo pants/shorts and most jeans work. I recently got a pair of jeans on line thru Bass Pro and the pockets are shallow. It is annoying the prices they charge and they skimp by using a couple inches of less fabric.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
An LCR is a tough pocket carry choice. Small autos like the LCP lend themselves much better towards that type of carry. That is not to say snub revolvers can't be pocket carried, it just means they require a little extra effort to conceal effectively.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We are talking LCR revolver and not LCP pistol right? I think the LCR carries great in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. With the stock grip or boot grip it will disappear in jeans or dockers. I have the longer fatter Pachmayr Diamond Pro which does peek out the top but no problem with an untucked Polo or t-shirt. This grip does work better in bigger Docker pockets where it is easier to draw.

I also just got a Clinger Stingray IWB holster. I've only worn it out once so far and haven't quite found the sweet spot yet. But it definitely concealed well and is good quality. I'll report back separately later on that one.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Agreed. Different pants with deeper pockets would be simple. Several good holster suggestions too. My experience is that Uncle Mikes and Barsony have some nice and affordable pocket type holsters too. Looking at your holster pic I wonder if the top flap might be responsible for that extra part sticking up?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Consider that the LCR may not be the right carry choice for you. You need to be able to dress to the gun you choose.

Jeff

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have a Blade Tek IWB holster made just for a P238 (with the Sig logo). I use it to appendix carry and it conceals nicely. The pistol locks into the holster and stays put. It also protects the thumb safety from accidentally moving to fire position which is important to me since I carry it cocked and locked.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I gave up trying to pocket carry my LCR so now I pocket carry a SIG P238 in a Red Dog holster, makes a nice combination.

·
Registered
392 Posts
comfortable pocket carry and a fast draw depend on 3 things-- the gun, the holster, the pants/pocket.
the LCR is about as good as it gets for a pocket revolver.
something like a Simply Rugged pocket protector ($25) is about all you need for a holster.
now comes the hard part, finding pants with a pocket that is deep and wide enough to make pocket carry work for you. trade in the skinny fit tight jeans for some baggy, pleated cargo pants. then find somebody that can sew to make any necessary alterations.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I carry my LC9s in an Uncle Mike pocket holster...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies, I wear shorts with pretty deep pants that is not the problem. The problem is the LCR is a pretty heavy gun so it tends to leave a gap in your pocket by leaning inside your pocket so if someone is standing behind you a person can look right down into your pocket. And since I like to tuck in my pants never found any jeans that properly hid away the butt end of the LCR.

So anyways while doing my rounds at the gun show looking for a deal on my next pocket pistol I ran into this guy promising his own design would make carrying my LCR easy and comfortable. Almost kept walking but thought what the heck he might save me 4 or 5 hundred dollars. He let me put it in the holster and try it on walk around and had chairs to sit in. By god you could barely see any outline and it was very comfortable to sit with. So great I could keep my shirts tucked in. And he promised at any time if you decide it does not work for you return it and I will give you your money back. I thought what the heck if I do not like it I will wait a few months and go to the next one and get my money back.

But driving home thirty miles very comfortable since the holster sits inside the pants along where your pocket would be. Now I stopped at Costco on the way home to get some items for the wife and I was getting stares and I was thinking oh crap can they notice somehow I am carrying. People kept staring at me and I was begining to freak out thinking swat is going to show up any second when finally a old lady asked so who is John Galt? And it hit they were all looking at my shirt! The shirt I make it point to wear at every gun show stupid!

Can you tell which side has my weapon? One side has a pocket full of keys while the other has my weapon.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Left side but only because I'm looking for the clip.

Interesting. So the butt of the gun is below the belt line, yes? How does it draw?

And I'll be the ignoramus: Who is John Galt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Left side but only because I'm looking for the clip.

Interesting. So the butt of the gun is below the belt line, yes? How does it draw?

And I'll be the ignoramus: Who is John Galt?

Correct.

Correct. It is basically sitting where it would be if you had it in your front pocket. Drawing is going to be slower and need some practice obviously because you are reaching into your pants.

Ayn Rands Atlas Shrugged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
True Liberty - That picture in your first post looks to be of a holster from PocketHolsters.com. The Guru makes a holster for the LCR and he will put that zipper flap on any of his holsters. You will have to call Smyrna Shooters Supply and special order it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
True Liberty - That picture in your first post looks to be of a holster from PocketHolsters.com. The Guru makes a holster for the LCR and he will put that zipper flap on any of his holsters. You will have to call Smyrna Shooters Supply and special order it.

Appreciate that! Could not find a darn email address or phone for the maker anywhere so I figured thats just the way it is. I even looked for a driving address since my mother lives in that town and not that far of a drive. I think I will give them a call so I can now have multiple options.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another gimmick holster . If you NEED a gun, you most likely need it now, and having to jam your hands down in your pants, past your belt, now increase the size of your hand by putting a gun in it, and drag THAT past your belt (which should be fairly tight to support the weight of your gun) is a bad idea. Its a bad idea. While your fumbling around with your nut sack trying to retrieve a gun from deep within your pants, the other guy (who no doubt started the reason you need to draw a weapon) has every opportunity to blow your *** away, if he's not to distracted from laughing at your little dance trying to retrieve your gun from deep within your pants. And you'll be lucky if you don't shoot your kneecap off.

If you need to carry a gun, buy a good quality holster and a good belt and un tuck your shirt to conceal it. Or a front pocket holster. That's the commitment it takes to carry. If you're not ready to commit to that, you probably shouldn't carry

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.