Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is relatively new African in 6.5x55.

I separated the stock with the three bolts (4mm hex): magazine door hinge base, and two bolts for the trigger guard.

Upon reassembly, the magazine floor cover will not close - it is binding at the hinge.

What is going on ?

Fiddling with it, I can see where it is binding - the hinge with the inset cross section to clear the bolt, is not clearing the bolt. Pushing the hinge base toword the front of the gun away from the action is where it needs to go, but I can't push it far enough.

Suggestions ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FWIW, I appear to have found the problem.

This is a classic case of accumulating tolerances adding in the wrong direction to reach an out of spec condition.

Applying pressure toward the front of the firearm when screwing in the magazine floor plate hinge, then applying pressure toward the rear of the firearm when screwing in the trigger guard was enough to restore the rifle to nominal.

No mention of this in the manual anywhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Josemose3
I experienced the same issue with my recently acquired .257 Roberts Hawkeye. Simple fix when you observe how the parts make the "whole".
How does that African 6.5x55 shoot? I have the #1-A in the same calibre and it's an absolute joy.

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bedding the floorplate hinge, especially as part of a pillar blocking job, is a great way to reduce that slop in the hinge position upon reassembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts