Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I finally got to go to the range today and not only sight in my M77 Hawkeye Tactical but also shoot it for a bit of fun.

So, first I boresighted it in at 50yds and proceeded to keep shooting a bit.

Then I set up fresh again at 100 yards.

I was pleased with the results so I kept shooting using the same targets.

Then I decided to step out to 200 yards.

After these targets I realized that I had not fully/properly tightened my scope rings and that my scope had begun to inch forward in the rings, so I had to retighten/completely tighten them again. I do not know how much of an affect this had on my previous shootihng, or at what point it occured or even began to occur.

All I had left after tightening down the scope was 5 rounds, this is them. I would like to blame the scope, but to be honest, based on the previous targets and shooting, I believe it was my fault, just getting sloppy as the day wore on.

Still 200 yards.

The ammo I used was Federal Fusion 165gr .308 winchester. I shot a total of 60 rounds over the course of 3 hours.

Some notes I'd like to make are;

1: After reading many reports of the Hogue pillar bedded overmold stock (not to be copnfused with their full aluminum bedded one which is aesthetically the same) being a source of concern due to touching the barrel of whetever rifles they're on, I cannot see how this affected my particular rifle and/or shooting. I do admit however, that I am not a professional or world class long range marksman looking to eek out every 2% gain possibly available. Could the full aluminum bed version produce better results? Based on my shooting today, I believe a better shooter would provide a greater gain in results than a new stock ever would.

2: I have only shot this rifle with the Vortex flash hider on it so far, it in no way that I am aware of affected accuracy (at least for the worse). Though, as stated, the baseline is now the rifle with the vortex on it, not with Ruger's birdcage or no muzzle device attatched. The Vortex does ring when you shoot, but it is next to unnoticable, unless you listen specifically for it.

3: Ruger's two stage target trigger, I have a love hate relationship with it. I love how easy it is to send one down range and how there is very smooth but I also dislike that there's no noticible resistance, most likely due my being completely used to double action triggers and single stage 5+ pound trigger breaks. I will survive and most likely thrive with it I believe.

4: I love the heavy barrel. I love that I can blow through 10 rounds pretty damn quick and have no fear of shot groups openning up or even having to let the barrel cool at all. The barrel did not finally warm up until the end of the session, approximately 3 hours and 60 rounds at around 50-ish degrees F. I am also going to assume that it is due to the heavy barrel that the hogue stock slightly touching that barrel that it has no noticable adverse affect on shooting.

5: Dear God do I HATE ppeople with muzzle brakes!!! (sorry, just had to bitch about that one:eek:)

Hopefully I can get back out there soon to double check that my scope is still sighted in, and be fresh and new for starting at 200 yards and working my way out to 400. :)

If there are any questions, comments and/or concerns, feel free to let me know!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is this a new weopen? if so did you clean the barrel every 5-10 rds? It takes a while to break in a new barrel. next time out check all the scope mountings after every 5 to 10 rds clean barrel and try again, it should shoot better than what your targets showed.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is this a new weopen? if so did you clean the barrel every 5-10 rds? It takes a while to break in a new barrel. next time out check all the scope mountings after every 5 to 10 rds clean barrel and try again, it should shoot better than what your targets showed.
Yes, this is a brand new rifle. I do not believe in barrel break in procedures outside of cleaning the barrel and rest of the rifle properly before shooting it unless it's specified to do so in the manufacturer provided owner's manual. I do admit I should not only have tightened the scope rings properly to begin with but also checked them more often.

I blame the shoddy 200yd shots on me (the shooter) not being up to snuff after 3 hours at the range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts