Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new 6.5 Grendel. A Howa Mini action bolt gun. I am begining to work up loads and have found that my new gun has a generous amount of headspace. I base this on the fact that the case grew .0055 using my Hornady headspace gauge. I only want to bump the shoulder back .001-.002. I like to work the brass as little as possible.
What do you guys do to limit bumping the shoulder all the way back? I know I should get a set of competition shell holders but thought I would ask in case i am overlooking something.
Thanks
BG

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Andy, another option is to take your headspace gauge, with calipers and zero it out on a fired piece of brass. Set your sizing for high and slowly crank it down. After each stroke recheck the headspace. Repeat until you reach the desired shoulder set back. I primarily neck size but there comes a point in time when the shoulder needs a bump and that’s my method.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andy, another option is to take your headspace gauge, with calipers and zero it out on a fired piece of brass. Set your sizing for high and slowly crank it down. After each stroke recheck the headspace. Repeat until you reach the desired shoulder set back. I primarily neck size but there comes a point in time when the shoulder needs a bump and that’s my method.
Basically not letting the sizing die completely size the brass but rather just enough to get my shoulder set back to where I want?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Correct. It is possible to bump the shoulder and not work the entire case with a F/L die.

Your cases won’t be fully fire formed, (which is what you want) after one firing though. Can you close the bolt relatively easily on your fired cases now?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I just picked up a new 6.5 Grendel. A Howa Mini action bolt gun. I am begining to work up loads and have found that my new gun has a generous amount of headspace. I base this on the fact that the case grew .0055 using my Hornady headspace gauge. I only want to bump the shoulder back .001-.002. I like to work the brass as little as possible.
What do you guys do to limit bumping the shoulder all the way back? I know I should get a set of competition shell holders but thought I would ask in case i am overlooking something.
Thanks
BG
Back the sizing die out . When you get the die where you want it , set the lock rings . Might involve a little trial and error but nothing is complicated about this method .
Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts