Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to install a Kidd barrel into my stock receiver. I like the idea of heating the receiver up to 250 degrees to help install the barrel. I do this all the time with bearings and it really makes installation easy and quick. My concern is a possibility of blistering the paint? My receiver is one of the silver ones that appears to be a clear coat over bare metal. It would really suck to screw up the paint. BTW, the barrel will be in the fridge overnight.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tracerbob,
I don't think the heat will cause you a problem.
When I did my Kidd barrel, I froze the barrel for about 3 hours and heated the receiver to 200 degrees. The receiver was black and the barrel stainless.
Used a little anti-seize on the barrel, I had cleaned the receiver up with steel wool and the thing slid together like butter. Just got the barrel started into the receiver and tapped the receiver on the rug in the kitchen. Lined up the extractor slot and let everything sit for about 5 minutes. I dropped the bolt without the charging spring into the action to help make sure the extractor slot was centered. I did drill the receiver for the rear cleaning hole while I had the barrel out, this made it easy to chamfer both sides of the hole to prevent any fractures. The only thing I wished I had done was add the Kidd rear tang. I'm going to do that to the next one. I used JB Weld to bed the action and about 3/4" on the barrel, right in front of the V-block.
Try some Ely Tenex ammo, if you want to see how accurate this combo is.
Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slugger,
Thanks. It's good to know I won't fry the paint. It must be tough stuff. I noticed you only went to 200 degrees. Any reason for that?

That rear cleaning hole in the receiver sounds like a good idea. That's the first time I've heard of that. Is there a fixture for doing that?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Tracerbob,
It was just the temperature I chose. I've used that temp and the freezer before to fit machine parts, always works.
I don't remember the web site I got the measurement's from, you should be able to put in Ruger 10/22 rear cleaning hole on Yahoo and it come up. I remember it is a .250 drill bit, centered left and right and I want to say 7/8" down from the top of the receiver but I'm not sure of that last measurement. I use the Kidd trigger housing pins, they come with a chamfer bit that I used on the outside of the hole and I got a long one from work, stuck it thru the barrel shank hole in the front of the receiver to chamfer the inside. Probably not necessary but I thought it might stop any stress cracks from forming in the cleaning hole.
Slugger

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Slugger,
Thanks. It's good to know I won't fry the paint. It must be tough stuff. I noticed you only went to 200 degrees. Any reason for that?

That rear cleaning hole in the receiver sounds like a good idea. That's the first time I've heard of that. Is there a fixture for doing that?
Midway, Brownells and dozens of other places sell jigs for the cleaning hole. Bought mine from Midway a while ago and pretty much any 10/22 that crosses my path gets drilled. You can easily make your own jig as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Tracerbob
Read the last post on the line of Drill Those Receivers. This guy is installing a screw in the stock to lock the new cleaning hole into, basically he is adding a rear tang to lock the backend of the receiver down. I may have to give that a try. Sounds a lot easier than machining the back of the receiver to accept the rear tang and inletting the stock to get it all together.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I successfully brought my receiver up to 225 degrees in the ole pizza oven. The barrel went on without a hitch and required very little adjusting to get the ejector slot to line up. I don't know what kind of paint Ruger uses but it takes heat very well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts