Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a stranger around these parts, but I wondered if you might give me a hand. Sorry if this has already been covered, but my searches didn't seem to turn anything up.

I recently purchaced an LC9s Pro, and today was my first range day with it. I also took along my LCP with its new 13# recoil spring.

The LCP was much tamer than it used to be, and was significantly tamer than my LC9s Pro, which was almost jumping out of my hand. :eek: I have Hogue grips on both, and each have a small pinky extention that gives me good coverage. All in all, I felt I had a great grip on both when firing, but the LC9s was just all over the place. My range partner put a few mags through it and voiced the same issue.

I was looking at the Galloway 22# replacement recoil spring (note: I am not having a guide rod problem) and I had a few questions:

1. What is the stock weight of the LC9s recoil spring
1. Is the 22# spring from Galloway the heaviest available?
2. Why is it necessary to replace the striker spring as well? And why must it be weaker? :confused: I was surprised the package included that as well.

If anyone could answer these, I would appreciate it. It is my understanding that the LC9s replacement fits the Pro model, too.

Also, If anyone has already done this replacement, I would like to hear your opinion/experience.

For anyone interested, at the range with the LC9S Pro, I put through about 100 rounds of mixed defensive ammo and FMJ without any FTF/FTE and it performed perfectly, aside from doing an impression of a trampoline. I was not expecting, however, that it would kick brass as far as it did (almost three times the distance of my partner's SR9c).

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have a LC9s and can't imagine what you are experiencing I think the gun is really well mannered with very little bouncing for its weight and size.
I have noticed that it is very erratic ejecting shells all over the place at diff. distances but does not seem to affect the performance. My SR9c would drop them all in a five gallon bucket if I stood still.Sorry I can't speak to your spring ?s
Good luck

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
There is a finite amount of energy that is available to drive the slide backwards to extract and eject the just fired round.

That force works against both the recoil spring AND the striker spring. If you make one stronger and not make the other one weaker, you may end up with short cycling of the slide. The just fired round doesn't get ejected and a new round isn't chambered.

Once the slide is fully retracted, the striker spring is compressed and it is held in that place by the sear. The recoil spring then works alone to chamber the next round. If the spring is too weak, the slide doesn't go into full battery.

I have the LCP and and LC9s. Yup they kick. I also have the SR9c. Because the trigger is so good on the LC9s, I often shoot it better than the SR9c at close distances. (determined by the amount of caffeine consumed before the range trip??).

Both the LCP and the LC9s have mush less recoil flip than my XDs .45.

Are you per chance using a teacup grip?

·
Registered
298 Posts
My wife and I both have the LC9s for security and I have really owned mostly big bore revolvers before the two 9mm's we have now and it was only natural for me and the wife to use the same grip that we used with the .44 magnums. That grip involves the right thumb down and the left thumb locking it down, so to speak. This grip will not allow the gun to jump much or will you loose your grip under recoil. Just last week the wife came home from work/ store and was unloading her car when she seen a opossum on the bird feeder we have near ground level. She tried shooing it away but it stood it's ground and hissed at her. She thought it was sick so she came in and grabbed my pistol and shot him from off the deck at 15 yards! Made a great shot and it was a small opossum to begin with. We really like the accuracy these little guns have. Maybe try a different grip style?

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
The LC9S is one of my favorite guns to shoot and enjoy shooting. I have shot thousands of round through the first one and now into my second. The orignial LC9 did have a good amount of felt recoil. That all changed with the new Lc9S. I personally view this as a very mild shooter. The striker fired trigger had much to do with this. I now do not use a rubber grip. Actually have grown to love the factory grip. I use to buy the wolf springs when I first owned the gun, but later would not waste the money. The factory springs later on in the life of the gun would be all that is necessary.
The New Spring and Guide rod now used in the LC9S is perfect. I would not waste my money on Wolf or any other aftermarket spring.

The LC9S is a very light recoil weapon. Use the factory spring and guide. Just change them out on a regular maintenance like you would a oil change on your car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've weighed in on another thread here about LC9s fealt recoil. I have to say my experience is the same as OP's. My SR9c is a very smooth shooter with very little fealt recoil. On the other hand, my LC9s is really snappy from my perspective. I have a harder time getting a second or third quick shot on target. I've gotten a bit better with some range time, but it's nothing like the SR9c. I'm pretty sure it's a combo of the weight and grip size for me and maybe to a much lesser extent the slightly shorter barrel.

I don't have any experience with changing out the factory springs and will watch this thread with interest. I love my LC9s as a carry gun and would love to shoot it as well as my SR9c.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I have a LC9s and can't imagine what you are experiencing I think the gun is really well mannered with very little bouncing for its weight and size.
I have noticed that it is very erratic ejecting shells all over the place at diff. distances but does not seem to affect the performance. My SR9c would drop them all in a five gallon bucket if I stood still.Sorry I can't speak to your spring ?s
Good luck
Exactly my experience, also. Mine always does a 30 degree upward and 10 degree sideways "stance" as its recoil maneuver. Perhaps because I've been shooting 61 years, of almost every caliber. That Jerry Miculek video has the basics; good advice.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@BoydCrowder Did you replace the spring? I just got my LC9s back from Ruger with a new guide rod and was wonder about this Galloway upgrade. Also if worth gettint a SS rod instead of polymer?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
@BoydCrowder Did you replace the spring? I just got my LC9s back from Ruger with a new guide rod and was wonder about this Galloway upgrade. Also if worth gettint a SS rod instead of polymer?

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
Which part of the guide rod is polymer?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Just went through my grip style.. Right handed, right thumb down and covering my right middle fingernail tight, left thumb covering my right thumbnail with left index finger covering my right, second knuckle on right middle finger and left middle finger squeezing between the right middle and ring finger to fist knuckle. Left ring fingertip at right ring and pinky finger fist knuckle. Left pinky finger curled under bottom of magazine and right pinky finger. Squeeze all like it's going to get away from you!

I'm no where near the magazine release button or slide stop with any thumb or finger.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
More on grip style. I do cross my right thumb with my left and lock in tight. It's the only way I learned to shoot a hand gun.
Again, two of the videos you posted are predominately for revolvers.

In the first video you posted, he mentioned one method which involves of crossing thumbs, with one thumb on each side of the revolver. If you do that with a semi auto you will most likely have a bad case of "slide bite."

The second video is applicable to this thread becasue the thread is on semi auto pistols.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Grip style

I've always used the thumb over thumb grip that Jerry M. demonstrates. Probably because I started out shooting large revolvers and seemed to be the best grip for managing muzzle rise and getting follow up shots back on target quickly.

We often use the word recoil without differentiating between muzzle rise and the backwards force imparted into the web of our hands. With small pistols like the LC9S the rearward force isn't great, but IMHO the muzzle jump is, at least when compared to my Shield 9mm or Walther PPS. it's worse when using a short magazine with no place for your pinky.

Like the OP, I'd like to try a stronger recoil spring to reduce some of the muzzle rise if it doesn't affect my reliability. I'm ok with avoiding weak/low powered ammo, but these two stage 'recoil systems' usually work better than the single spring & rod setup. But for now the Galloway setup is the only aftermarket option. I may still take a chance on it, but I'll keep the stock striker spring.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mistaken? Yes. It's steel. Try a magnet. Even one of those magnetic refrigerator cards will stick to it. Not sure if what Galloway has is magnetic enough, though.
IIRC, the original LC9 recoil rod was polymer. My wife's chipped off part of one side of the "disk" at the end which caused the rod to cock and the slide to jam. Ruger graciously replaced the rod, but both her and my LC9s wore Galloway stainless rods after that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts