Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have some opportunities to shoot smallish--less than 100 lbs--wild pigs where i live and the only firearm i can use is my silenced and scoped 10/22 carbine due to some paranoid neighbors nearby..

shooting distance is normally under 75 yds and i would like to use the fastest heaviest solid bullet i can find to maximize the possiblity of a one-shot kill..

am not keen on the cci stingers or velocitors as am afraid penetration may not be enough on these hollowpoints..

is there any commercially available solid point .22LR round that weighs at least 40gns and go more then 1500fps??

thank you for any replies..

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Don't think so. Avuila super maximum hp claims 1750 fps, but they are 30 grain. Winchester Super X 40 gr claims 1300 fps, while the 37 gr hp's are touted at 1330.

·
Registered
137 Posts
CCI Stingers are at a claimed 1640 fps but it is a 32 grain hollow point bullet.
Still, it claims ME figures of 191 ft lbs.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Velocitors have great penetration. They are not a normal hollow point, built more like a Gold Dot round. And it has a 40gr bullet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies..

will probably go for the velocitors for now until i can find something better..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think I would take on a wild boar (pig) with a .22 They can get nasty....I shot one with my bow a few years ago and the *@!!$% treed me.....LOL

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I would take on a wild boar (pig) with a .22 They can get nasty....I shot one with my bow a few years ago and the *@!!$% treed me.....LOL

.....that's why i'm bringing my 1911 .45 just in case..he he he!!

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Ask your neighbors if they would rather have you shoot with something that will kill or if they'd rather have an angry wounded pig running around.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If it were me I would use 40gr mini-mags...my second choice would be Federal 40gr Game Shok...they are almost identical to mini mags in every way...mini mags are easier to get...in my gun the Federal is a tad more accurate...

All things considered including RELIABILITY, consistency, availability, price, accuracy if I wanted to make sure I could but follow up shots on a wounded pig that would be my first choice...that would call for less recoil and greatest reliability with good accuracy...

IMO...that spells MINI-MAG...my preference is 40gr solid over the higher velocity 36gr...

I would get within 50 yards max...accuracy starts to degrade quickly after 50 yards and energy bleeds fast too...if you are sighted in at 100' with mini mags your trajectory is pretty flat from 20 yards to 50 yards...that could be a big deal in your situation...better to use high velocity at closer range than hyper at longer range imo...of course if you know for a fact your gun is a tack driver at 75yards with the ammo of your choice then that would be slightly different as the accuracy and safer distance from wild pig would make up for the lower energy at impact...I would still want to be a lot closer for that pig than 75 yards...

I would use a 12ga for back up...loaded with no.1 buck shot...hungry/hurt/wounded pigs are notoriously mean and revengeful as hell...a pistol is better than nothing but a shotgun with buck shot is infinitely better imo...

Options on hyper velocity not already mentioned:

Remington Vipers only 36gr but solid nose plated bullet... 1435fps...price about the same as mini mags...I bought a 500pk recently for $35...reliability and accuracy seemed quite good...however, I don't see any real advantage over the mini mags for the same money and easier to get...and I have only gone thru 100 rounds not 1500 rounds like I have with mini mags therefore I don't assume reliability is on par with mini mags...I have my doubts...especially with high round count as they seem to be very dirty ammo to me...I got these because mini mags were sold out they day I was at the store...

Super X 40gr plated Hyper-Speed 1435fps... These cost me $11/100pk which is about 50% more than mini mags or vipers...I got much better accuracy from these in my gun than the same bullet in high velocity...reliability is not stellar...while a good round if it feeds and goes bang...it might not go bang...I don't buy these any more...just not worth the money all things considered...

These are comparable to velocitors...in my gun accuracy is much better than velocitors...reliability is not as good as velocitors...

Where I shop velocitors cost double that of mini mags...

The Stingers and 1650 fps Super X I have used and see no reason to buy or use them for anything...simple as that...

All roads lead home to old faithful... CCI Mini-mags deliver the goods for what I consider to be a very fair price...

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are going to take 12 gauge for backup why not skip the .22 and knock it down and give it a perm dirt nap right from the beginning....? Not wise to make a wild pig angry....they can uglier than a Mother-in-law with PMS....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts